Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Wheels and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels and Tires

Hey guys... Since my impending PCS move up to the Great White North, I'm looking for some better wheels and tires for my truck. Something with some killer snow traction, cause from what I understand, the stock BFG's pretty much are teh sucko in the snow.

Suggestions?

Old 06-13-2005, 12:56 AM
DernMooseAk
Senior User
Mostly depends on the style you want, At, All Season, or Mud.

I have run the Dueler Revo's and they are very good in most situations other than deep mud.
Allot of people love the BFG AT's up here, some say good on ice and snow some say they are crap on ice and snow.
Cant go wrong with a quality tire just buy them down there! Also bring a trailer enclosed or snow machine/atv type and sell it when you get here for a small fortune.
Anything you are thinking of doing to your truck ie, lift, bumper, winch also get down there. I love it hear but they sure love to mark things up, way up all under the the shipping excuse.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Twin Tritons
More Turbo
Resqdawg3,

Personally I don't think our trucks handle well in 2-wheel drive on ice and snow. They're too light in the rear end. I drive my truck in 4WD all winter long. My wife has driven her truck 2 winters with the stock BF Goodrich Rugged Trails. It does well, but you can notice the rear end a little loose in some corners. I tow frequently, so I went with another set of wheels and some dedicated winter tires. I have the studless Bridgestone Blizzak tires and they are awesome.

I was able to get some Lariet take off wheels for $100 each and the Blizzaks for $160 each, so a little over $1000 total.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:33 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Forgive the spelling but Yokohoma Studded rock. Cost a little more.

I second the trailer idea. The mark up is crazy up here. If you get a 4-place snowmachine enclosed trailer I might even be interested. White of course.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Crumm
Elder User
Don't spend a bunch of money

Originally Posted by Twin Tritons
I have the studless Bridgestone Blizzak tires and they are awesome.
I have heard great things about the Blizzak as far as traction goes but how is the tread-wear? A friend of mine bought a set several years ago when they first came out and his little Explorer was glued to the road but they did not last long. Have they improved them as far as tread-wear goes?

resqdawg3, You will find that here in Fairbanks studded tires and such are not really needed as much as they are down in Anchorage or in the lower 48(states with snow). Other than in the fall and spring our weather is so cold that the traction is fairly good even on snow pack. Most people just run what they have until they are wore out and then they might upgrade to an all-terrain or all-season tire. If you don't have any experience on slick roads then you might think about a set of studs or some snow tires but if you have did much driving on slick roads you will be fine with the stock tires. No sense in throwing away a set of good tires before they are wore out. If you do decide to get a set of snow tires you can always put the stockers back on in the summer but the switching gets to be a hassle and is expensive.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:04 AM
resqdawg3
Senior User
I'm originally from northern Pennsylvania. So, I'm used to driving in the snow and blizzard like conditions. Hell, I took my drivers liscense test during a snow storm and passed flawlessly. :woot!

I've been wanting some new wheels for my truck anyway, so this is just more of an excuse for me to do so.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Crumm
Elder User
Originally Posted by resqdawg3
I've been wanting some new wheels for my truck anyway, so this is just more of an excuse for me to do so.
Oh I see you must be married Good thinking

Old 06-16-2005, 01:32 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
That I am. :lol

Old 06-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Privateer
5th Wheeling
I thought my Michelins LTX's would be good on my 02 CC F350 dually, but they are worse than my friends Goodyears.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:10 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

I, like TT keep my truck in 4x4 all winter. I dont throw the **** into 4x4 unless I need it. I have also noticed over the years that the longer the wheel base the better they handle on the ice and snow. Now if I could just get a 9-pack for a good price.

Worked on the slope and we had a few of those. I though my CC,LB was long.

Hey Bill if DernMooseAK wants a trailer as I do you could make your trip a triple. That would be an interesting trip but legal up here. Just kidding. Although I am looking for a 4 place snowmachine trailer. I'm considering going south and putting one on a barge or larger fishing tender.