Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Time to STRIP

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:16 AM
j wright
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Time to STRIP

I know the title will get everyones attension.....
What I'm looking for is a place that does plastic media blasting in the Dayton area. The only one I found is in Georgetown Ky. I hope there is one closer.
As always I'm thankful for the help!!!!!!!!!!
John

Old 06-09-2005, 05:11 PM
phatcracker
Senior User
There's should be at least one place in Dayton. I know there's a few here in Cincy.

Ask the guys that sell the equiptment or the media. They shold know who's in the area. Hopefully Ray will pop in. He might know.

Eric

Old 06-10-2005, 04:01 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey john how's it been going? I called around and no one know what it is, even me its got me scratching me head is it something to do with sand blasting only with plastic beads?

Old 06-10-2005, 06:31 PM
phatcracker
Senior User
Originally Posted by F2504x4
is it something to do with sand blasting only with plastic beads?
Walnut shells, etc.

Walnut shells are softer than plastic. Mostly used for car restorations with thin parts of sheet metal. I would think it would take of alot of walnut shells though. There's different kinds of plastic you can use for media blasting. All have different uses.

I'll check around hear in Cincy. There might not be that many down here as I thought. I'm going to the Concourse d'Elengance this sunday. I'll ask around.

Eric

Old 06-10-2005, 07:43 PM
j wright
Senior User
From what I have found there are several types of media to be used walnut shells (used to be used to clean turbine engines) several types of plastic beads and ceramic beads and even using baking soda. I just can't find any here in Dayton.
Thanks for the help
John

Old 06-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Stanstruck
Senior User
Hey John, have you tried Columbus? And are you going to have the frame done or the body? (Sounds like you've done the research on what works best for different areas!) You'd think someone close to us would be able to do this.
Good luck.

Stan

Old 06-10-2005, 10:34 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
John , call and ask for Ken , at yellow bird restorations he lives in bellbrook, I'll pm you the number. He will know who to send you to. tell him you know me.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:49 PM
j wright
Senior User
Ray:
That Ken is a wealth of information!!!!! Good guy to talk to, he told me that there is a place in Springfield called National Storage and Sand Blasting and talk to Melvin Ward. Ken said that he was rather expensive. He also told me about Bright Strip and they do chemical stripping (Keith McDermount (spelling probably)) he's had things stripped there and was very impressed with the quality of work. I've got phone numbers if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send them to you. I'll call both places on Monday and see if what kind of prices they quote and let you folks know.
Thanks Ray for pointing me in Ken's direction.
John

Last edited by j wright; 06-11-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:52 PM
j wright
Senior User
I called Bright Strip and they will strip the cab for $375 and $40 for each door. Keith said that he was all booked up till first part of July so I'm calling him then. Maybe the work can begin on the '40
John