Oil & Lubrication  

how often do you change your transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interestingly, though Ford recommends 30K fluid changes, they don't require the filter to be changed that often. The standard "filter" is really more of a screen.

IMHO, the best procedure is to install a pan drain and an in-line auxiliary filter (Ford #XC3Z-7B155-BA). This allows for easy fluid changes and better filtration, as well as easy changing of that filter. If you are blessed with a torque converter drain, you can do a very thorough job, but otherwise you can just do it more often.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regardless of the drain plug THIS procedure will change about 95% of the fluid. I've used it several times. It's easy and works great!

Old 06-17-2005, 09:12 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Thought I might add that the auxiliary trans filter I mentioned goes in the cooler return line, where it's easily changed.

Personally, I feel a bit uncomfortable pumping out the transmission fluid, but I guess I can't really say that it could do any harm.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:44 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd put in the line that goes to the cooler, not the one that returns from it. That way, it prevents solid material from entering the cooler.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Casey
Posting Guru
That's a good idea if it is a new cooler, but if the cooler has been there for a while there already is junk in it and you want to keep that junk from getting back to the trans.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Well, that's where Ford tells you to put it when you buy the installation kit: I didn't really give it much thought. Casey probably stated the reason..

Old 08-20-2005, 11:07 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you have a transmission temperature gauge? If not I would get one and change the fluid by how hot and many miles you drive. If the fluid stays below 165 degrees than change the fluid every 20k to 30k. Every 10 degrees of temperature take away 5K from the change interval. This if for normal ATF you can run synthetic ATF @ a higher temperature and longer change intervals.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:12 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by aurgathor
I'd put in the line that goes to the cooler, not the one that returns from it. That way, it prevents solid material from entering the cooler.
the filter cannot take the extreme heat of the input line. thats why you use the output line it runs cooler.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:43 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by willbd
Do you have a transmission temperature gauge? If not I would get one and change the fluid by how hot and many miles you drive. If the fluid stays below 165 degrees than change the fluid every 20k to 30k. Every 10 degrees of temperature take away 5K from the change interval. This if for normal ATF you can run synthetic ATF @ a higher temperature and longer change intervals.

You are a new user so you probably do not realize that the chart to which you refer has been bouncing around these boards for years. It wasn't accurate or correct 30 years ago or so when it was published, and isn't even close to being correct in 2005.

Per Ford specifications, normal operating range for the 4R100 and 5R110 is 51*F to 248*F.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:50 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
the filter cannot take the extreme heat of the input line. thats why you use the output line it runs cooler.
Hmmm, maybe I should tell mine that it should break, but it has been doing so fine sitting in the input line, I'm not sure that I want to disturb it.

The filter maker makes the following installation recommendations:

1. On new vehicles (less than 5,000 miles), it is recommended that the filter be installed on the cooler supply side to protect the cooler from contamination. On in-service vehicles (more than 5,000 miles), the filter should be installed in the return line from the cooler to the transmission. On any vehicle that has experienced any transmission difficulty, the filter should be placed on the return side.
See here:

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine...ation_page.htm

Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Nonsense. Heat is not an issue since the tranny would be toast in a short time anyhow if the oil were *that* hot. And I think erngine oil can be a little hotter, yet I have yet to hear a single case of "filter overheating"....

The issue is whether one wants to ensure that the cooler is not contaminated (so the filter is installed before) or one wants to ensure that the pre-existing contamination from the cooler doesn't travel back to the tranny. (so the filter is in the return line)

Since the filters carried by Ford are normally installed after some work on a tranny (flush/rebuild/replace/etc.) it makes perfect sense to put them after the cooler if the cooler is not replaced at the same time.

However, if one has an aged tranny (mine is over 170k) -- it makes a lot more sense to put the filter before the cooler, so if the the tranny breaks down, the filter will hopefully protects the cooler. If, or when, the tranny is replaced, the filter should be moved after the cooler, though, if the old cooler is to be kept in the car.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
Makes sense. I just followed Ford's directions, without knowing their reasons.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Why not put a filter before AND after the cooler?

Old 08-22-2005, 12:56 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
Why not put a filter before AND after the cooler?
It reduces flow through the cooler too much. Not a good idea.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:40 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
On a gasser with not alot of pan volume, 15,000. On my PSD 30,000. Oil is way to cheap to sacrifice an AT. You also get a much better picture of what is going on inside you tranny if you pull the pan every 15,000. It's a lot cheaper to correct a problem, IE, clutches wearing, than wait til it grenedes to do a total rebuild. I will argue that a flush is the worst possible thing you could do to an automatic. Some people will swear by them, thats fine, keep on keepin on, if you change it every 15,000 you never have to worry about how much you got out.

Ryan

Quick Reply: how often do you change your transmission fluid?