Ranger towing a Mustang

Old 04-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Screamsalvation
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger towing a Mustang

I will be moving in a month and was considering just putting my 95 V6 mustang on a dolly to move it with me. It will be going about 700 miles. On going to the Uhaul site it says my 98 2dr extd cab ranger is not heavy enough to tow the mustang. I was planning on using a dolly that only the front wheels sit on. Is this accurate? What would you suggest I do? Can the ranger actually make the trip with the stang? Are dollys different depending on what vehicle is doing the towing? Could I just go in and tell them I am later using an F150 for the move?

I also plan to have my Ranger loaded with boxes of books and other things of that nature.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:11 PM
mikebon08
Posting Guru

If you're renting the dolly, don't lie about what you're pulling with.

I don't think I'd pull a Mustang with a Ranger that distance, especially if there's any highway running. The Mustang's as heavy as the Ranger, and none of it's on the truck--those dollys put little if any weight on the ball, so if it starts getting squirrelly, it'll drag the truck around. Plus, the weight of Ranger+Mustang+dolly+stuff is most likely well over what a Ranger's brakes will handle. I'd try to borrow a bigger truck if possible, or rent one. Easiest way might be to just have a buddy drive the other one, then you can pack them both. 700 miles gas is less money than the rental fee for truck or dolly.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:35 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Hi Screamsalvation! Welcome to FTE and thanks for joining us in the Towing fourum!

Follow mikebon08's advice. The Ranger isn't suitable and U-Haul won't rent you the dolly for that reason.

Getting a buddy to drive the 'stang is a good suggestion. Even better, find a couple cute girls that are headed that way and ask them to drive!

Old 04-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Screamsalvation
New User
Thanks for the replies. I have never done any long distance hauling and nothing very large at that. I started thinking after the post on how the mustang weighs just as much as my ranger and that it prolly would not be a good idea to tow it. Though the cute girl idea does sound rather good I think my girly would kill me. I will prolly just end up leaving the mustang with a friend and getting a one way bus pass back to pick it up.

Search this Thread