cottonseed oil for veg oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
cottonseed oil for veg oil?

I talked to a couple of local places and it looks like there is a good chance of getting their used oil and they all seem to use cottonseed oil is this good stuff?

I am weighing out the options/planning to running vegoil in my powerstroke

Old 04-20-2005, 11:03 AM
rustyculley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary,

We ran cottonseed oil in test mules (research engines) here at MSU many years ago and had few problems with the twice refined varieties. Winter gelling was a problem with SVO, but summer was no problem. With a little Kero or gasoline it worked great at all temps we experience here in North-central Mississippi. I can't put my hands on the documents right now, but I'll look around for you.

Rusty

Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 AM
tdford
Senior User
I'm a little late on this reply but before running SVO check out the web. Some sites I visited seemed to suggest longevity could be a key issue and recommendations leaned towards using it only in older IDI engines with a limited life expectancy of 10,000 to 15,000 miles. Some European companies warrant their new engines for commercial bio-diesel fuel but I'm not aware of any of them providing warranty coverage if SVO is used as a fuel, which could be another clue to the risks in running it in your power stroke.

Old 05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
whowey
Senior User
I thought the main problem with the newer Direct injection motors was that the injection system was that the veggie oil was fouling it.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:16 PM
tdford
Senior User
The term used in the articles I read was "coking" which could be interpreted as a severe form of fowling however it is an irreversible phenomenon (sp?) requiring replacement of the injectors and the injectors are not the only engine part affected. There is some great information available at biodiesel.org that should be recommended reading for anyone considering running SVO. As the name implies the website is also a great source of information for those new to biodiesel.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:53 PM
tdford
Senior User
I need to clarify the statement on warranties made in the first post. The major truck engine manufacturer warranties are not voided by the use of alternative fuels however most if not all of them exlude damage caused to the engine by any fuel. They commonly put their implied stamp of approval on B5, sometimes state that their is no evidence of engine problems related to the use of B20, and universally seem to with-hold approval of bio-fuel mixtures exceeding B20.

The Ford web page statement is " Fuels containing no more than 5% biodiesel may be used in Ford diesel powered vehicles." They follow with a list of "unresolved technical concerns" with the use of biodiesel concentrations greater than 5%. Among the concerns listed is one that states "Biodiesel tends to cause higher deposit formations". The entire content of the Ford statement can be found at: www.fleet.ford.com./showroom/environmental_vehicles/BiodieselTechnology.asp

Admittedly SVO and Biodiesel are 2 different animals however in my opinion articles on SVO usage as a fuel can be construed to parallel Ford's concerns.

Last edited by tdford; 05-04-2005 at 11:00 PM. Reason: web link didn't work. correction made in repost