help with trouble codes

Old 03-06-2005, 04:15 PM
prerunner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help with trouble codes

On my 94 2.3l ranger I got 3 trouble codes. can anyone help to explain what they mean in more depth and hopefully explain how to fix them. The codes were #21,32,65

#21 says electronic distributorless ignition system (EDIS) fault
-problems with the crankshaft position sensor(CPS) circuit
or,
engine coolant not at normal operating pressure

#32 says EGR valve position (EVP) sensor or pressure feedback EGR (PFE) sensor - signal voltage is below closed limit or has gone beyond set limits.
or,
Problems with EGR valve controlling

#65 says engine control system never went into closed loop fuel operation.

Also my truck has been getting horrible gas mileage. In all I probably average about 12-14mpg with about 90% freeway. My truck is lifted with 31in tires and regeared to 4.10s but I still dont think I should be getting that bad of gas mileage. As for code #21 I think it could be the coolant not getting hot enough. My truck always seems to run cool which seems to be a problem with a lot of 2.3l's. Has anyone found a fix for this problem or no. I heard you could just put cardboard in front of the radiator but that sounds to scary to me. Please help Thank you

Last edited by prerunner; 03-06-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the truck come up to normal temperature?

Was it up to temp when you ran the codes?

If you answer yes to both measure the resistance of the ECT, should be 2.07k ohms at 212'f and 37.3 at 68'f.

If the ECU doesn't see the engine temperature at +180 (apprx) it won't go into closed loop, a bad ECT could cause a false reading to the ECU. If it doesn't go into closed loop its like running with the choke on.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 AM
prerunner
Senior User
well it was at normal temp for my truck but that is still low according to the temp guage. On the guage it is not quite to the N on normal but close and that is the hottest it ever goes. I have never actually seen what that temp is though.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test the ECT sensor.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:51 PM
prerunner
Senior User
Ok I will do that as soon as I can. Also can you explain what closed loop is. From what I read it is just when the motor is using all the sensors to judge the air/fuel mixture. Is that correct? Thanks for the help

Last edited by prerunner; 03-10-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:57 PM
prerunner
Senior User
OK I changed the thermostat with a 192 degree and also changed the ect sensor and still the codes come up. What am I not getting. Is there anything else it could be. please let me know if you can think of anything else. Thanks for the help so far. Also I dont think this will help but the code #21 went away and was replaced by code #38. This code says idle tracking switch (ITS) circuit open.

Last edited by prerunner; 03-15-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:00 AM
prerunner
Senior User
please can someone help. Also I noticed that my check engine will stay off when I am on the freeway in like 5th gear going like 3000rpm's but when I let off the gas or slow down the light will come on. And if I get going back to 3000rpm's and turn off my engine then back on the check engine light will stay off. This wouldnt have to do with the code#38 which is the idle tracking switch circuit open.. I read that code 65 could mean that the O2 sensor is bad. could this be true. thank you for the help

Last edited by prerunner; 03-18-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:47 PM
prerunner
Senior User
come on someone please help me

Old 03-23-2005, 07:45 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Closed loop means that the computer is controlling the mixture using the feedback that the sensors provide.
Open loop means that the computer just doesn't have enough info to do the controlling, or the engine is not hot enough for the computer to do its job.
If the engine is too cool, truly cool or 'sensor says it is cool', the computer will not go into closed loop, because it will use fixed parameters for fuel and timing, (simulating a choke on a carburetor equipped engine), and won't adjust for optimum economy and performance because it doesn't 'know' enough to do so.
A bad ECT or ACT or thermostat could lead to cold engine or 'thinks its cold' engine.
The engine has to be at operating temp to pull codes.
Do you think it is really warmed up when you check the codes?

Have you calculated out the true mpg given all the changes you made? 3000 rpm is a LOT of revs compared to what I know. With normal gearing, 2500 is 70 mph. No big tires, and normal diff ratio...
tom

Old 03-23-2005, 08:29 PM
prerunner
Senior User
Unhappy

Well I think the engine is up to temp. WHen I drive it for a while the radiator and all the hoses get hot. I read that the engine only has to get to 180 degrees for it to be able to go into closed loop and if my thermostat is at 192 degrees than that means that the coolant temp should be getting over 192. Could this really prevent a big loss in performance because it is almost impossible to run my truck in 5th gear on the freeway unlesss I am going down hill. On the freeway I almost always have to keep it in 4th just to hold my speed. What else could I check that would do this. The only thing I can really think of that might do this is the fuel pressure regulator or the cat is clogged. I have changed almost every other part. It sucks having such a slow truck and also spending so much on gas. The parts that I can think of off hand that I have changed are....
K&N air filter, fuel filter, MAF sensor, o2 sensor like year and half ago, fuel pump, thermostat, ect sensor, timing belt (and checked timing), fan clutch, disconnected a/c, belts, spark plugs(checked gaps), spark plug wires,

I know theres more I just cant think of them. Please help me I really dont want to have to sell my truck because I love it but I am getting so sick of it not working right.

Search this Thread