Best quick fix for rusted wheelwells?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:54 PM
michaelbarry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best quick fix for rusted wheelwells?

i have an 84 F-150..and it is rusted around the rear wheelwells...i'm not planning on keeping the truck for over 2 years...what would be the best and easiest quick fix for them?..i was thinking about cutting out the rust,putting some of that foil tape on the backside of the hole that would be there after cutting out the rust,then take some fiberglass and put over it,and then finish over that with some bondo type filler...does this seem like it would last around 2 years?...thanks in advance..

Old 03-06-2005, 02:57 PM
jesse1385
Senior User
You could just cut out the wheel wells with a saw and make them look decent and get rid of the rust(I dont know how bad it is). The fiberglass would probably fall out eventually unless there is something supporting it, like solid metal. And then if you plan to paint over that it would probably form bubbles in the paint. I guess anything is better than looking at rust...

Old 03-06-2005, 04:02 PM
michaelbarry
Senior User
i'm just looking for something that will stay looking decent for about 2 years though...i think this will be alright just 'til then..because i just want the truck to look alright..it don't have to be perfect..or anywhere near it really..but i want it to look decent...

Old 03-06-2005, 06:27 PM
71LTD390
Senior User
Here's what i'd do. Cut out all of the loose flaky rust. Leave enough rusty metal there to support your bodywork. Coat all of the rusty area with your favorite rust paint (Rust Encapsulator, POR 15, etc.). Bend the edges of the rusted area inwards about one inch around. Then apply some fiberglass "sandwiches" to the area. (This is a layer of fiberglass mat with resin on each side.) The can of resin has the instructions. And yes the fiberglass will stick to the rust encapsulator-I can vouch for that. I'd never apply fiberglass to bare metal. Build the area up to contour. Sand it out roughly to match the contours. Then finish it with Bondo and prime and paint. Look in my gallery. See my dad's orange '74? I did it about 6 years ago and it is just starting to crack and pop though. From 20 feet away you'd never know. However on my '75 I am currently putting new metal in. I learned to weld and metal is a far superior repair. But if you are not going to keep it the call is up to you. Also, i've been trying the new "glue/rivet in" panel repair. Works well. I put my '75's cab corners on that way. Worked like a charm. But I can't confirm the durability yet. Always use fiberglass resin and matting to fill holes. The resin won't absorb water like body filler.