Who is running Bio and what%?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:18 PM
01stroker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who is running Bio and what%?

Who is running bio diesel, how long running it and what is the %? Is anyone taking advantage of the $1.00/gallon rebate? My dad just bought 130 gallons of B100 for $1.86/gallon. At the end of a quarter he will turn in the amount he purchased and get the $1.00/gallon rebate. We have a refinery about 35 miles from our house and they will sell you any quantity you want. There are not any stations selling it around here though. I believe the demand for it is going to increase with these crazy diesel prices! I am going to buy me some soon as I can. His runs a lot quieter and smoother on it.

Like Gale Banks said "why do we want to send our money for diesel to people who want to kill us"?

Old 03-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish they sold bio around here. Closest place is over 2 hours away, and I'm not sure if they sell commercially or to anyone. Where did you find info on the rebate? Is that only a Mississippi thing or what? I haven't heard of it before so I'm curious.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:08 AM
01stroker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is a national thing. There was an article in our local paper that told about it: http://www.djournal.com/pages/story....pub=1&div=News
I think there is a forum here on alternative fuels, I guess I should have asked this there.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Rowdyone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand peanut oil burns extremely well, I would try a tank for sure from what I have been told and for sure if the price right and the money stays here in USA. I think if I was a farmer I would see about growing some peanuts LOL...

Old 03-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
I've run up to 100% in my son's 300K-mile 1982 Mercedes 300SD. I've run up to about 70% in the '97 F250HD. This is commercial soy-based biodiesel. The engines love the stuff!! (I've heard horror stories from a dealer tech about high percentages in the 6.0L though, and Ford specifically says don't run over 5% or it's not warrantied, so I've not been putting it in my 2003 truck.)

I had not heard of any $1/gallon rebate. I know they were trying to get a 1-cent-per-percent-of-bio cut in the federal excise tax, but that would top out at 20 cents, and there isn't $1 of excise tax per gallon to rebate even if it didn't stop at 20 cents! They mention a "federal law" but provide no more details. HMmmmmmmmmmmm...

Duncan

Old 03-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
OK, I found a reference to it - I'm sure the hoops you have to jump through to claim it are going to remove some of the joy of taking advantage of it, but $1 a gallon is $1 a gallon! (But it does sound like it's only for businesses, not mere mortals.)

http://www.jacksonhewitt.com/resources_changes_federal6.asp#biodiesel

Duncan

Old 03-06-2005, 11:02 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I've been running 2% and sometimes 5% soy-biodiesel in my truck for a couple years now. I just like knowing that I'm supporting my own economy, not some greedy fuel barron across seas.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have run a few tanks of B100 through my 7.3. It ran great; quieter and smoother.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Any starting problems in the morning? I live near a company that sells Bio-D for a very reasonable price and am considering driving up to him and having him fill my tank. He sell for very cheap ($1.67 including road tax) but you have to buy it in 55 gallon barrels and pump it yourself.
Edit: I just noticed you live in hot weather Texas, not rather chilly Washington, so fuel clouding would not be an issue with you. I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:13 PM
hamster
Junior User
I heard that the soy diesel has a high gel point, have to start worrying about it if the ambient temp drops below about 30-35 degrees. They started making it locally here and selling somewhat close by. I am thinking of trying out to see how much difference it makes once the weather warms up some.

The only problem here is that they charge more (.10-.15 cents) for the soy diesel (5% is higher and the 20% is higher yet) but I heard that the milage will increase about 20% which in the long run makes it worth while.

I talked with the president of the company (used to work there years ago) and he was saying that they are running 100% soy diesel in some of thier vehicles as a test and are having great results and it smells like french fries while the engine is running. At this point the manufacturing cost is what kills them as it has to be shipped out to be refined and then brought back.

Don

Old 03-06-2005, 07:26 PM
kens crewcab
Senior User
how do you find out who sells it in your area, any links to this

Old 03-06-2005, 08:12 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Check out www.biodiesel.org for general information. Here's the link to the map of the distributors. Prolly have to copy and paste.

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...s/default.shtm

Old 03-06-2005, 08:57 PM
95psd
Senior User
Wouldn't adding Diesel Klean Winter formula keep it from clouding? Wish we had it here to try.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Silverrv
Senior User
Cool 2006 fuel changes

We need to look at another thing.. In 2006 they are reducing the sulpher content in road diesel. This will hurt the lubercation on the injectors. We need something to replace that sulpher and the bio soy would be the answer.. It just needs to be more aviable.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:36 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

96psd- yes adding a anti-gelling additive will help reduce the gelling of the biodiesel. You just have to go thru the "hassle" of adding it everytime you fill up, but I don't think it's that big of an inconvience to keep me from using soy-biodiesel.

That's what I like about soy-biodiesel, as silverrv said, it already meets all the EPA's requirements for years to come, including Tier I and Tier II emission standards, and it still burns cleaner and has better lubricity than regular #2.

Quick Reply: Who is running Bio and what%?