1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2000 Ford Expedition GRINDING NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 03:04 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Ford Expedition GRINDING NOISE

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition with 52,000 Miles. I notice when i drive around 35-40MPH and i don't accelerate just keep the same speed or let the car coast there is some kind of GRINDING NOISE coming from drivers side (you can almost fill it)... directly under accelerator or in that area. I went to a dealer with this problem, but after replaicing WHOLE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL the problem is still there. I also replaced DIFFERENTIAL FLUID, TRANSFER CASE FLUID. I know it's not a Transmission because all gears switch perfectly. I called Ford with this problem they told me that i could go to another dealer have it checked since after REPLACING DIFFERENTIAL problem is still there. Please maybe one of you guys might know ... what the hell is that ... is just driving me crazy. E-mail me if you can at: scarface78@ameritech.net

Old 03-05-2005, 11:33 PM
ExpyBoy
Senior User
Ever bang your Trans X-Member?? If it has been bent - it will do that...

Taken mine off-road many times and jammed the x-mamber... could feel it through the floor and a "whirrr" sound from front end....

The Stock Jack between the x-mamber and the frame member behind it can help...

Old 03-06-2005, 02:46 AM
scarface78
Junior User
Question I Don't Recall It

I don't recall ever hitting Trans X-Member ... i never took my truck off roading ... and never remember hitting nothing. What ****es me of the most is that after first dealer changed FRONT DIFFERENTIAL and after i came back the same day because car was doing the same think DEALER TOLD ME. We just changed $2500 part, we can't keep on exchanging parts, you know your car its not gettin new so there will be noises ... JUST DRIVE TILL IT BRAKES and then we can PIN POINT where its exacly coming from. I told the guy: I DON't care if you change 99 cent part as long as it will stop making that noise ... and its not normal. Honestly ... there is no MECHANICS any more ... there are PART CHANGERS ... change it till you get the right one.
P.s. ANY other ideas what that might be. PLEASE HELP

Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 AM
BigDASH
Senior User
Ever look at the brakes?

Old 03-07-2005, 07:09 AM
shortsleeve
Freshman User
I have the same year and the same problem. Took mine in twice and on the second time the Ball Joints were replaced and the stuff still happens. Im REALLY getting sick of this damn truck...

Old 03-07-2005, 03:26 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Cool I've HAD IT

Its not the brakes ... i honestly had it with this car. Never Ford again. I will go back to foreign cars ... another Lexus maybe. On thursday i have to go back for Leaking Gasket ... the one they supposed to fixed it three months ago.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:36 AM
scarface78
Junior User
Any More Ideas?!

Please guys let me know if you have any more ideas what that might be, because i honestly can't figure this out.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:35 AM
shortsleeve
Freshman User
Originally Posted by scarface78
Please guys let me know if you have any more ideas what that might be, because i honestly can't figure this out.
And if you find out what it is could you please post it! Thanks

Old 03-08-2005, 12:25 PM
TimGinCentralNJ
Junior User
Hey scarface78...possibly worn wheel bearing(s)?

Originally Posted by scarface78
I don't recall ever hitting Trans X-Member ... i never took my truck off roading ... and never remember hitting nothing. What ****es me of the most is that after first dealer changed FRONT DIFFERENTIAL and after i came back the same day because car was doing the same think DEALER TOLD ME. We just changed $2500 part, we can't keep on exchanging parts, you know your car its not gettin new so there will be noises ... JUST DRIVE TILL IT BRAKES and then we can PIN POINT where its exacly coming from. I told the guy: I DON't care if you change 99 cent part as long as it will stop making that noise ... and its not normal. Honestly ... there is no MECHANICS any more ... there are PART CHANGERS ... change it till you get the right one.
P.s. ANY other ideas what that might be. PLEASE HELP
...just a shot in the dark. I know I had 1 front wheel bearing go sour on my '01 Expy, and they begin as almost a wobbling sound (not a feel, but a sound) which would change depending on whether I was driving straight, or cornering left or right. Eventually a worn wheel bearing WILL turn into a grinding/scraping noise if left alone. Does the sound change at all depending on stopping, or which direction you're cornering?

And just a quick comment about your dealer. He sucks. Any legitimate dealership which either CANNOT, or is NOT WILLING to put the time/effort into identifying and resolving your vehicle's issue, should be reported to Ford's Customer Service dept. Yes, some problems are more difficult to isolate/identify than others, but THAT IS THEIR FREAKING JOB and the whole reason why their Service dept exists. If they mis-diagnosed the problem, and gave you a whole new front end as a result, guess what--THEY SCREWED UP. Plain and simple. Personally, I would either find a good independent mechanic, or get the name of a reputable Ford dealer somewhere in your area. If you're anywhere near NJ, I'd be happy to give you mine.

Hope that helps.

Tim G.
'01 5.4 XLT

Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Unhappy Reply !!!

It happens while i'm driving ... i would say between 30-45MPH ... but you can notice GRINDING NOISE in 35MPH zone when you just keep the speed the same don't accelerate. How can i explain it: It just GRINDS for about 10 seconds, goes away for around 4 seconds and it starts its cicle again. You can even feel it under your foot if you wear light shoes. I don't think its Wheel Bearing ... because there would be Grinding Noise all the time. I didn't hear it at Highway speeds. Sometimes it goes away for a day or so, but then it starts again. Any other ideas.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:39 AM
fkhcle
Freshman User
I had to replace a transfer case at about 70k. It was making a grinding noise whenever I put my foot on the accelerator. In the big picture, it started out like what you are describing. I had an extended warranty so that paid for the $3000 repair. Right after I did Ford started selling a remanufactured (much cheaper) part. The service writer knew what it was from the sound, but tore it down to convince the warranty company. Look for scoring on the inside of the case. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:20 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Transfer Case

Where is the TRANSFER CASE exactly located ... is it right after ENGINE OIL PAN.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:19 PM
fkhcle
Freshman User
Not having crawled under there for a while, I expect that the tranny is right behind the oil pan. The transfer case is to the right of the tranny I believe. I do not expect you will see any damage on the outside of it. You will have to drop it out and inspect the inside.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:26 PM
doressa
New User
my explorer is doing the same clicking sound rebuilt the differential replaced u joints replace driver side axle and still doing it the only difference is that my does it at about 15 to 20 mph and when you stop at red lights after driving about 60 also took to many mechanics and i still have the problem also replaced the wheel bearing

Old 06-16-2005, 04:58 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Originally Posted by doressa
my explorer is doing the same clicking sound rebuilt the differential replaced u joints replace driver side axle and still doing it the only difference is that my does it at about 15 to 20 mph and when you stop at red lights after driving about 60 also took to many mechanics and i still have the problem also replaced the wheel bearing
Ok they replaced my Differential (TWICE) ... Replaced Wheel Bearings , Replaced Transfer Case , Drive Shafts , Ball Joints Uper & Lower , Replaced Tire Rods , and its still doing it ... i just gave up on it. Besides anoying Noise nothing else seems to be wrong so i said SCREW IT. I didn't have my car for almost 5 weeks.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford Expedition GRINDING NOISE