Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

VA Gas Meter readers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:57 AM
75Player
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VA Gas Meter readers

For those of you with dogs, do you know what their procedure is supposed to be when they see a "Beware of Dog" sign? Are they supposed to come to the front door before going to the meter? I ask because this morning one of my 2 german shepherds was in the backyard when the meter reader showed up. The dog started barking (as she should) so my wife went and brought her into the house. When my wife got out front she saw the meter reader with a can of mace in his hand. Now the guy never came to the front door even though he heard the dog barking and there is a beware of dog sign on the gate. Does he have the right to mace the dog if he ignores the sign and enters the yard anyway? I'm not concerned about the liability issue if the dog attacks him (I know I'll be liable), I just want to know if I need to worry about my dogs getting maced if some moron enters the yard after ignoring the warning sign. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:13 PM
stutterstan
Senior User
I believe if they are unable to get to the meter for some reason(like mean dogs) they estimate your usage. When they estimate, it is usually on the high side. I have also seen them with bionoculars stand outside the gate, if they can see it. Your meter reader probably had mace in his hand JUST IN CASE, wouldn't you be prepared if you were in his shoes!!

Old 03-03-2005, 09:28 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
It would be nice if the gas company had wireless meters like the electrical company, where they just drive by your house and read your meter from their truck.

Then dogs or no dogs , it's no problem

Old 03-03-2005, 10:49 PM
soulpatchfr
Junior User
don't have gas, so i'm no help there, but...

i remember a lawyer telling me years ago never to post a "beware of dog" sign. if said dog ever did harm anyone (whether on your property, or even if he escaped the fence), the fact that you posted that sign could serve as proof that you KNEW it was viscious, or at least a pet that others should "beware" of - maybe just a "dog on premesis" sign would be safer. i'm sure the meter reader would still hear/see a german sheppard barking at him & would take the exact same precautions.

just because i'm paranoid, that doesn't mean they're not all out to get me!