Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Alpharetta

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:55 PM
kjg26
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpharetta

anyone located in or around alpharetta? I just got my truck. I need some people to wheel with. I had a jeep last year and know a few wheeling places but not many. Theres one on mansell, pretty rough. Lift and aggressive tires NEEDED. Theres a place off or mcfarland, i think thats the name of the road. And exit 15, but 15's illegal and private property. Any places i've missed in the area? I know theres some stuff up in dalonega (sp?) just don't know where.

I'l love to wheel with some of ya'll. Any regular get togethers in the north ga area?

Thanks

Keith

Old 02-11-2005, 08:03 AM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Welcome to the Ga chapter of FTE!! I attended one meet last year, we had a great time.

I'm in south ga........

Old 02-11-2005, 10:55 PM
devildog33624
New User
well I'm in woodstock but I work in alpharetta at the sears auto center there. Couldnt tell ya any good places to wheel quite yet cause I just moved here a few months back and I only have a 2wd 2005 ranger edge, but I do have a guy I work with that takes his range rover wheelin alot and I'll ask him and find out where some good spots are.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:09 AM
kjg26
Elder User
i'd really appreciate ANY info on trail locations. I know where several are, but at the trail head it says PRIVATE PROPERTY or NO TRESPASSING

thanks

Keith

Old 02-12-2005, 08:30 AM
tex94F250
Posting Guru
Exclamation Off Roading

Okay, sorry to take so long to get back to you. Starting from the farthest from you that I've done. These are unpaved and unimproved "roads" in the north Georgia mountians. Some are very challenging when weather is a factor or it has rained a bit.
#1:Overflow Creek Rd. is off 23/441 in Rabun County. It is just what is says when wet, an overflow in places. Make sure you have a hi-lift and tow strap. Some turns are very sharp. Had to saw through two of them with the extended cab, long wheel base. You'll go through several mountain gaps. Make sure to have your cooling system at optimum.
#2:Patterson Gap Rd. is in the Coleman River Wildlife Management Area. It's shorter but no less challenging at times.
#3: Mulky Gap Rd. ties with Cooper Creek Rd. off of 60 in Union County. Can be real challenging at times due to trees, mud, rocks in the roadway. Switchbacks, great views. I'm not talking about the paved Cooper Creek Rd. going to Lake Winfield Scott.
#4: Camp Rd. in Gilmer County is off 52.
#5: Winding Stair Gap Rd. Just what the name implies. Off 52 in Lumpkin Co.
to Doublehead Gap Rd.
That should give you a few to check out. This is not a mud-bogging type off roading, there are a multitude of trails that are not posted off these roads. You can spend days exploring them. Just take care to put guards on the trees when you use them to anchor to pull out. Use caution. Off Patterson River there is one semi grass covered trail that seems to keep going up and stops at a sheer drop with around 1,500 drop at the top. You can't see over the hood when it drops off. I came within a foot of dropping the tires off this one.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:55 AM
kjg26
Elder User
Thanks TEX. Glad to hear your decided against taking the truck cliff diving.

Keith

any other input would be great