Baby Swamps or Propane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:43 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Baby Swamps or Propane?

this thought crossed my mind earlier....for my '95 with 200K whats the best deal for the money (~1000$) a set of Baby Swamps i know runs what, 850, or a powershot 2K propnae system that runs what, a grand? i had been thinkin if i ever ran across a large amount of money, i would go with the PS2K. but then i was thinkin, from what i undestand (correct me if i'm wrong), Baby Swamps don't require an intercooler or anything, just the normal intake and exhaust mods with i'm assuming the same for the PS2K. so lets have it, best bank for the buck goes to what? i don't really tow much, perhaps a boat once in a while (gotta fix that up first). the mod would only be for power.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:03 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do both.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:06 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
Personaly I'd go with the baby swamps. My opinion. Then add the propane!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Let me preface my remarks by reminding you that I have a PS2K system on my truck.....
When I was faced with the decision between propane and injectors two years ago, Babies weren't available. The only choices at that time were Maddog's or Hypermax, and both were considerably more money than a propane system.
If I had it to do all over again, I'd be hard pressed to decide between Babies and propane. I know a lot of guys that have gone for the Baby Swamps, and I can run with them with my stock injectors and propane. You can actually get a PS2K system for less than $1000, if you're willing to put BBQ tanks in the bed of your truck. I wasn't, so I hung a Manchester tank under the bed, and wound up spending about $1000.
Those that have the Babies swear by them, and I can't find anything wrong with the propane, either. Think it over, and make your choice. Either way, you're in the same ballpark for power, and the expense is comparable.
Don't bother doing both, though. Once you put bigger injectors in, the additional power from propane won't be as much as if you're running stock injectors. The more fuel your injectors dump, the less improvement you'll see with propane. Granted, you don't need to add an intercooler if you choose Babies, but you probably will eventually once you see what happens to your EGT's. Propane, on the other hand, will actually lower EGT's slightly.
Flip a coin. I don't think you can lose choosing either one.
One advantage to having my propane system is the "Oh My God!!" looks I get from people at the truck stop. If they know their diesels, they're all over my truck like white on rice.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
a couple things regarding propane, do the tanks HAVE to be mounted in the bed? i know BBQ tanks are usually upright, but could they potentially be mounted sideways on the truck frame (room permitting, i haven't exactly held a tank up underneith my truck yet)? does it also smoke as much as Swamps would? i know it burns more efficiantly and gives better fuel economy, which is a plus if i can keep my foot out of it. would Swamps give better fuel economy? i wouldn't care about putting tanks in the bed, i could always paint them oh, would i NEED a chip with either? or could i just toss it in and go?

Old 02-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
I know upright tanks have to be kept up, and horizontal kept that way. Due to the fact of liquid being injected to the motor, not good! I'm running a PS2K for 15k miles now and I love it. The only down fall is filling you tank. With babies power is always there. Also I heard of babies burning up clutches and detroying trannies if they are not properly modded. With my diesel power chip on extreme she smokes pretty good till the turbo catches up, not as much as injectors and a good chip will though.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
To add to that, neither require a chip but it definetly is a nice addition. Good luck choosin'

Old 02-01-2005, 08:52 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
so far in life i've kinda learned to go with my first feelin. in this case, propane. in the case of falling off a dumpster at work, that was a bad idea....but propane is a good idea. gonna be keeping my eye out on Ebay and TDS for a used system. i saw one on here for 500, but i don't have the money for it right now, not to mention the truck (in the shop for tranny problems, gotta love warrenties). figured i'd go with 2 BBQ bottles, paint 'em up real nice, make a rack for them and enjoy the propane flow. i know in another thread Quad said he got what, 80 at-the-wheel horsepower? not too shabby in my book. seems i also haven't really heard ANY negativity about the PS2K setup at all. just gotta wait on the funds....

Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
hey domino, if you behave yourself on the pedal, what kind of milage do you get?

Old 02-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Keep an eye out for different types of tanks too. I seen people use fork lift tanks mounted up under the bed, also when using 2 tanks an adapter is needed to connect them together.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Milage is about 15 mpg. I'm in alot of stop and go traffic. Maybe 16-17 on the highway due to my 4:10's

Old 02-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RedStroker6
a couple things regarding propane, do the tanks HAVE to be mounted in the bed? i know BBQ tanks are usually upright, but could they potentially be mounted sideways on the truck frame (room permitting, i haven't exactly held a tank up underneith my truck yet)? does it also smoke as much as Swamps would? i know it burns more efficiantly and gives better fuel economy, which is a plus if i can keep my foot out of it. would Swamps give better fuel economy? i wouldn't care about putting tanks in the bed, i could always paint them oh, would i NEED a chip with either? or could i just toss it in and go?
Mounting BBQ tanks horizontaly is an absolute no no, dont do it, forget about it, bad idea. I hope I made myself clear. When mounted horizontally BBQ tanks WILL definetly deliver liquid propane unless they are less that half full. Liquid propane in your engine = buy new engine.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:09 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
thats kinda what i figured for the tanks. i don't wanna turn a good PS2K into a bullydog system....

Old 02-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
You got it bro.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:58 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Phydeaux, what kind of tank did you use? i'm guessin you also had you Delta chip re-burned for the ps2k?

Quick Reply: Baby Swamps or Propane?