Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Hood liner or Dynamat extreme hood liner?

Old 01-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Gt-358
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Hood liner or Dynamat extreme hood liner?

I have an 04 F-250 which of course didn't come with the hood liner. And I didn't notice it when I was buying it. Made me think about it tonight while I was getting diesel. As I was sitting there, I noticed the water seemed to steam off the hood pretty good. So I've been considering buying a stock liner, but remebered seeing the dynamat exterme hood liner a while back. Would do the same purpose as the stock liner (protect the hood from engine heat) plus it would cut some of the engine noise down. Both would end up costing about the same. So which would be better to get? Would the dynamat hold in too much engine heat (i.e. bad for the turbo). Anyone have experience with the dynamat liner?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:22 AM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gt-358
I have an 04 F-250 which of course didn't come with the hood liner. And I didn't notice it when I was buying it. Made me think about it tonight while I was getting diesel. As I was sitting there, I noticed the water seemed to steam off the hood pretty good. So I've been considering buying a stock liner, but remebered seeing the dynamat exterme hood liner a while back. Would do the same purpose as the stock liner (protect the hood from engine heat) plus it would cut some of the engine noise down. Both would end up costing about the same. So which would be better to get? Would the dynamat hold in too much engine heat (i.e. bad for the turbo). Anyone have experience with the dynamat liner?

I thought about the same thing since my XL came with out the factory liner.
I did dynamat the interior but in the end i just put the factory liner on under the hood.

I was worried about retaining too much heat.
Seemed to me that it would cost more to use the dynamat stuff.
I highly reccomend it for doors,floors,back wall, roof and firewall but its a pain to put on correctly.
Out of all the dynamat products i have used the extreme is the most heavy duty.
Another company makes a VERY similiar product called "brown bead" and it avaiable online for WAY cheaper.
Do a search and check it out.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:28 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
I did dynamat the interior
Tell me more, I have read about it...want you real world opinuion...all you can!

Old 01-30-2005, 08:45 AM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim
Tell me more, I have read about it...want you real world opinuion...all you can!
OK.
Since buying the 6.0 meant for me that had to go with a more base model truck,ie, no lariat or KR i figured Ford would skimp on the fixings .
I have the rubber interior.
I removed it and wiped all metal with rubbing alcohol.
Bought $300 of dynamat extreme and went crazy.
There was only i little carpet pad under the rubber for acoustic deadening.

Certainly not enough for a diesel and since i was putting in a sound system i wanted to make it quiet as possible.
The most flexy piece of chasis is the back wall.
If you can push on i and it moves then it needs to be more dense through the application of brown bead, dynamat etc.

I know you would like for me to produce some stats like roadnoise before and after but all i can do is tell you my honest opinion.

VERY well worth it.
Yes it is a pain to do but if you ever wanted to install a stereo or steam clean your carpet removed from the truck now is the time.

Other materials are on the market that you can spray as opposed to peel and stick.
THe dynamat extreme is the most thick out of their products.
I would just get the most thick brown bead and save a few bucks.
Not only does it add density but also has thermodynamic properties so they do sell special cuts for the roof and hood to repel heat but i got bogged down with other mods and short on time and money
You know how that goes.

SO, i do reccomend it but only if your going to take the time to do a thorough job.
Slapping in a few pieces isn't going to be night and day.
Being a little emphatical and covering everything that is metal will be.

Even with a downpipe, catback and tuner most people who ride in the truck can't believe how quiet it is.
Until i crack the window and stomp it!

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-02-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Gt-358
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts