Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

mud drag rules meeting

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:20 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
mud drag rules meeting

For any that are interested Troy (trackannouncer) sent me a PM with the info on a rules meeting for the next years racing at CPR mud drags in Reasoner if anyone is interested, here is the body of the PM
Hi
The rules meeting has been ste for Feb. 27 at 1:30 p.m. at Dans in Knoxville Iowa. Please let as many people as you can know. Old racers and potential new racers too, lets get as many voice and ideas there as possible!!!!!!
See you there

Old 01-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I should enter my truck. =P

Old 01-30-2005, 03:09 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Yes you should!!!! why don't you try adn come to the rules meeting atleast, and see what is going to be done, and meet some of the guys that do race. Bet you end up totally hooked after just the meeting, adn the first time you run will set the hook.

Old 01-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Lol My truck would drag pumpkin after 10 feet.

Mud dragging requires serious cash. I'll wait till I get myself situated with something to mud around in before going there.

What do you think would be easier? Talking my grandpa into letting me tow off his old 3/4 ton with blown 351W, or taking my beater 89 and doing a divorced T-case and axle swap with a D44 or D60 if I can get one cheap in the front and then a D60/10.25 in the rear with matched gearing?

My grandpa's F250 just needs the engine...don't know what transmission its got. It probably has a Dana 50 TTB. Anyways, I got to talking to Mustange70 the other night on messenger, and I had a thought. What if you took and welded up the TTB D44/D50 so that it was effectively solid and would no longer pivot, elded so that it was straight. Then went out and got leaf springs and all the hangers and whatnot that goes with that off a junkyard truck and converted the D50 TTB into what would effectively be a SA D50 (D60 inner/D44 Outer) with leaf springs and still retain the steering/braking setup that was there all along? Am I crazy?

Old 01-30-2005, 03:49 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

yes you are crazy yo cant do that to a TTb if you welded it solid you won't need the springs just put a solid axle under it the lack of suspension would kill ya in the pit, and frankly I did quit well with a D44 TTB in my 86 even when it was an open diff. I think you should just bring yours out and run in stock class that is why they are having the rules meeting to make stock class more fair, and you will have fun. you start modifing stuff too much and they will stuff you into superstock and that is were it starts costing money, then if you go too far you end up in modified then you have to race ME

Old 01-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
And need I mention that things between the girlfriend and I are done, so now I have more money to play with. =)

Old 01-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I didn't mean weld it solid with no suspension. I meant weld the two halves of the TTB together to effectively creat a solid axle. What's the difference between the TTB D44 and a SA 44? One pivots in half and has a U joint in the middle for flex, the other doesn't, right? Then add the suspension components I want - leaf springs for ease of lifting as needed - and then try to use the steering components since nothing like that would need changed?

I'm not saying to weld the front end solid, just he axle so it no longer pivots, and then probably the TTB brackets too.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
And what day does the meeting land on. I might come

Old 01-31-2005, 10:45 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

if you haven't checked it lands on a sunday, and if you check the two halves of a ttb don't actually touch so if you welded them to each other you would then have a solid front end with no suspension, you really would be better off putting an sa in there if you wanted to change anything or just run the ttb I did for a couple of years, and actually did pretty good with it including taking the seasons points one year.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I'm gonna calltomorrow on a 1991 F250 5-speed 4x4. Need to find out what it's got for anengine, shape, etc. 500 bucks - the 5-speed isworth atleastthatmuch out of it probably anyways.Have to see if its justugly and that's why its cheap. Either way, might be a good base to start with.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

would definatly be a starting place, and cheap enough. although for the mud drags you really are gonna want an automatic because no matter how muchyou like manual trans you just can't shift them fast enough, and the pits are too long for a single gear. plus if you have a manual trans they require a scatter shield on it. but if you get it and it has a big block in it I have a couple of C6 trannies one of which is even supposed to be in workng condition for sure, and I even have an external balance flexplate for hte conversion, and the c6 adapter to switch it over.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:10 AM
wyldstallyn73
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the idea of welding the two halves of a TTB setup has already been succesfully done twice that I have seen (more than that too, I bet) I am working on getting a free truck with the TTB 50 in it and if I get it I will weld it solid and use it in my 88 Bronco when I swap in the rear 70. Although it would seem to be a lot of work when there are already solid axles out there ready to be put in, the TTB does have some advantages over a solid dana 44.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
I thought the only advantage was the thick cover plate due to the integral design with the TTB.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Lost the number...have to run to work and look in the paper to grab it. I ripped the door handle off my new truck yesterday morning, so now I have to go to a junkyard today too and grab a new mechanism for it, or maybe just hte handle AND try to find somebody with tools to repair it. Bah...

Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

update

just heard back from Troy on this meeting it is to be at Dan's Village pump, 210 north Linclon knoxville on sunday 2/27 starting at 1:30.

Quick Reply: mud drag rules meeting