1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Help me with a value please.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:00 PM
MyGrandpasTruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me with a value please.

New to board.
I am talking to my 86 year old grandpa about buying is 1972 f250 rangerXLT W/360, 2WD, and Auto trans.

He has owned it since new and it has 90k miles. He has maintained it very well and the interior and exterior is in excellent (no really) I mean excellent condition. He has had the seats covered from day one.

What is an honest value of this truck? I want to pay him Market value if not a little more.

Thanks,

Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 PM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
The value of something depends on how badly you want it. You can look up the blue book value online, if it's important to you. If not, just ask him how much he wants for it.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:30 PM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
Perfect condition, I would say $9K. Check out some restored trucks and get an idea. Some people get deals for free whereas others pay $12K for junk. Have you checked an old car and truck pricing magazine?

Old 01-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,340 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Pay him what he wants, he will be happier selling it to you knowing that you will look after it better then most buyers. If I was selling one of my old Ford toys that is were I would want it to go, that would be worth alot more to me than the price I got for it.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:38 AM
4Cammer72
Elder User
i agree with fomoco. keepin it in the family counts heavily.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:58 AM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a piece of junk F100 for $750 and ended putting another $1200 and a million hours bringing it back from the dead. I thought I was buying a cheap work truck but it was in worse shape than I thought and I ended up with $2K in it. The NADA says the "High Retail" value of a 72 F250 is $8600. High Retail means: "This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition." You can go to nadaguide.com and look it up yourself. That's the most fair market value there is. Now I agree with the boys above. If money is somewhat an obstacle then I bet grandpaps would let you have it for $2K and all would be well.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:22 AM
KCampbell
Junior User
You've had some good advice here already: sit down and talk to Grandpa about it. Tell him you really want to be fair and pay him what it's worth, but you also value the sentimental aspect of looking after his truck for him. Ask him if he can remember what he paid for it new and just see where the discussion goes from there.

Kevin

Old 01-25-2005, 07:25 PM
MyGrandpasTruck
New User
Thanks for all the input.
I have discussed it with him and let him know of my intention to keep it and pass it to my son some day. It is in excellent condition and grandma is all for it. My grandfather is having some difficulty letting go and needs to think about it. That just tells me that grandpa still has the "guy" in him and is not sure if he wants to give up his baby...even if he can't drive any more.

I told him there is no pressure at all I just would hate to see it go out of the family and someone turn it into a work truck.

I have a couple of pictures if ya'll can show me how to post on this board. They are not very good but you will get the idea..

While it is not as valuableable dollar wise as my 68 Chevelle and 68 Camaro..I would cherish it a lot more considering the history and memories it brings. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
shane

Old 01-26-2005, 04:46 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Shane, One word of caution, make SURE all other family members know that you want the truck. asap Maybe your parents should be included with discussions.

The reason, your grandpa could pass and other family members can get nasty when it comes to things like that. You will just have to trust me, I have seen it more than once.

John

Old 01-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Fomoko1
Originally Posted by jowilker
Shane, One word of caution, make SURE all other family members know that you want the truck. asap Maybe your parents should be included with discussions.

The reason, your grandpa could pass and other family members can get nasty when it comes to things like that. You will just have to trust me, I have seen it more than once.

John
Very good point but don`t be surprised if none of the said other members don`t give a hoot about that :OLD TRUCK: though. As sad as it is I have seen beatifull classic vehicles in excellent condition disposed in great haste with no though or feeling what so ever outside of greed! Depends on the circumstances and relatives in question, you have to treat them as you would want to be treated and HOW THEY TREAT YOU. If you let them know your intent to keep the truck in the family and not just profit from it then reasonable relatives should be fine with that. Grand Pa will have the last say and all will have to abide by his desire like it or not, that is the bottom line PERIOD! Good luck we are all with you on this one.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
dumptech
Elder User
Find out if the motor's been rebuilt to use unleaded gasoline. If not, factor in the cost of doing so. Don't forget: the 360 uses the same block and heads as the 390. If you rebuild, consider paying the little extra cost for the upgrade. I'm glad I did.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Fomoko1
Originally Posted by dumptech
Find out if the motor's been rebuilt to use unleaded gasoline. If not, factor in the cost of doing so. Don't forget: the 360 uses the same block and heads as the 390. If you rebuild, consider paying the little extra cost for the upgrade. I'm glad I did.
Good point. I have driven some of my old Fords on unleaded gas with out any problems yet. If you do have to get into the motor then it would be a good time to consider the previous posting.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
MyGrandpasTruck
New User
Excellent points on the family members. I have let my parents (grandpas daughter) know and she thinks it's a great idea. Once mom knows the rest of the family knows..if you catch my drift.

My grandpa overhauled the top of the engine. I will verify what that entailed and if he put in the hardened valve seats. He did all maintenance on the truck himself (another reason I love the truck)...with the exception of rebuilding the Auto Trans.

BTW..what trans would be behind the 360?...sorry for my ignorance I'm more of a chevy man (cars that is).

Thanks for all the help,
Shane

Old 01-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Fomoko1
A C6 transmission will be in the truck. A very good bulletproof, cheap and easy to rebuild. Last forever amd stand up to just about anything within reason. If the motor work was done within the last 10-12 years it probably has harden seats, if not it still will go for a while. Not a big deal for a Sunday driver. Keep us posted.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:05 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Guys FWIW, There has been a lot of talk about hardened seats, but from what info that I can gather it is not a problem, There is not a increased failure rate that I am aware of, and all engine folks that I have spoken to agree. NO EVIDENCE.

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me with a value please.