Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Truck Project Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 07:50 PM
68Crew
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck Project Help

Just bought a 1968 F-250 Crew Cab short bed 2 wheel drive. Six cylinder 4-speed. No power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, no power door looks, no a/c, 8 lug hubs and drum brakes. I hope you get the picture---plane jane county truck. It is a good solid truck with little rust---the worst being the two front body mounts for the cab. I want to trun this into a good street truck that is good enough to show at local events and is still a great driver. The end result Is I want a 428 or 429 motor, automatic trans, all power options, 4 wheel disc brakes, tilt steering with shifter on the colume, front buckets, center console, chrome front grill and bumber, would love to have wide street tires on the back and I hope you kind-of-get the picture of what I am looking for. I do not want a drag racing truck, I just want a truck that handles great, looks good and has some creature conforts so me and my family can enjoy it. Any help from a knowledge stand point on what may work, what don't work, do this instead of this idea and vender info would be a great help. Thanks Rodney
rskp@bellsouth.net I also need a fleet side bed for this truck.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:53 PM
old87
Posting Guru
wish I could help- a bump to round up the usual suspects......
3broncocrazy, jharvey, evilbeast,ladyfire

Old 01-22-2005, 09:11 PM
old87
Posting Guru
and a bump to the top-bttt

Old 01-23-2005, 10:53 AM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
I suggest car swap meets, i've found many old truck parts - just not many bronco parts I still go, because i luck up every now an then.

On will be in south ga in Moultrie in Feb, i'll post when i find out the details - Good luck on the project!!

Oh yeah, ebay is also a great source.......just remember ship cost - it's better for the light small stuff..unless you luck up and find it close to home

Last edited by 3broncocrazy; 01-23-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:22 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
68crew! Reconsider! Your truck will be a lot more enjoyable and get more attention if you simply fix it up and drive it. The rot in the floor can be repaired by installing new front cab mounts or transplanting a floor pan from a 73-79 model truck. I recently saw a crew cab for sale here in the FTE classifieds for around $3500.00. I mention this because that truck had all the items you listed and a simple body swap over to that frame is a heck of a lot simpler that the plan you laid out. If I were you I'd spend my money on the body, glass, sheet metal and upholstery. Keep an eye out for a later model truck with the running gear you want and then do a body swap. Keep in mind that these Crew Cab trucks are not common and the value of an original truck will only increase. Change it to much and the value goes down like a rocket. IMHO!

Old 02-21-2005, 06:34 PM
68Crew
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments. Any futher suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:24 PM
4xcrazy
Senior User
Smile

68crew All I would do is chunk the six banger put v8 back, with pwr steering. I've been looking for a 67-72 crew cab myself , I found one over in the Winder area tried to trade for it, but the guys never called me back and I lost their number. maybe I'll have better luck next time

Old 02-25-2005, 02:28 AM
68Crew
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the input---I have not started the project yet and any suggestions help---Thanks 68crew

Old 02-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Swap out your front I-Beams and spindles from a mid 70's F=100 ford truck from your local junk yard, to get disk brakes, then swap out the steering column, steering sector and pittman arm to get the power steering your looking for. Both are relatively easy to do and cheap.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:36 PM
4xcrazy
Senior User
68 crew the brake and steering swap are good. I noticed that you had one reply to get mid 70's f100 i-beams, these are 1/2 ton five lug, not 3/4 ton eight lug. I might know where you can find a mid 70's f250 donor. check back with me.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:46 AM
68Crew
Freshman User
Thumbs up truck project help

I actually have a 1979 F-150 Trailer special. It has PS, PB, CC, Tilt wheel, front disc brakes, front sway bar, 351, AC, automatic, towing package, built in CB and so on. I would like to get away from the 8 lug unless there is a reason I should keep it. I think a 5 lug looks better and would be easier to get after market rims for. I have been told everything from this donor truck would swap out exactly on the front end. The next thing would be to find a 5 lug rearend with a 325 gear. I want to put in a 429 motor (which I am looking for with a automatic trans). I actually have another crew cab---1971 F-250 two wheel drive also--- it has a 360 4 speed. It does already have power disc brakes on the front---no other power options though. I guess if I could live with the 8 lug I wouldn't have to change anything. Then comes the problem of lowering the truck for a good street look. I have a lot going through my mind on the finished project I want. I want to end up with a really cool looking street truck you can drive everyday but look good enough to enter in local car shows. I want a 429, PS, PB, CC, Tilt, auto, discs up front, A/C with a lowered stance and after market wheels. Quite a large project, but I think because the crew cab is such an unusual truck it is deserving. Any suggestions or ideas or even thoughts of where I may want to change my plans because of this or that would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am putting togather a game plan for the truck and will probably start in a few months.
Thanks again for all of the comments---keep them coming---Rodney
P.S. I am located in McDonough, Ga.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:48 AM
68Crew
Freshman User
Question Truck project Help

I forgot one question---will the tilt steering colume out of the 79 truck fit either the 68 or 71 truck. Thanks Rodney

Old 02-26-2005, 01:32 PM
4xcrazy
Senior User
it is preference on keeping the eight lug or not. as for the column I don't know, i've seen them lowered several different ways,and to different degree's my favorite is leaving the front alone and lower the rear to match

Old 03-04-2005, 01:44 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
68Crew, Look in the 61-66 Fourm for a guy named Ford Boy Pete. He has a 66 on a 79 trailer special frame with a 460 and C6. I think this may be the truck you are intending to build. I also believe FBp's truck is a five lug. Not 100% on that. Make contact over in the other Fourm. The tilt from the 79 will fit any 65-79 with power steering.