Primary Battery Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 PM
IDF150Dude
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Primary Battery Fuses

Hello Everyone.
This is my first time visiting your board, and I must admit its been very helpful in locating info on the many things wrong with my baby. I have a 1997 F-150 with the 4.6L V-8. Just recently it has been having a major miss problem. Ive read a few people have had this problem already. But it will hesitate, idle rough...when I accelerate nice and smooth, she shakes and rattles, and when I mash on the pedal, she goes...and will shake until she passes 40mph. The Check Engine Light blinks, and then stays on steady.
It has gotten severly worse, to where she has been hard to start...I just recently took her into a mechanic, and he hooked his computer up, and said that Cyl. 1-4 were misfiring. He pulled the plugs, all were fouled. Replaced them, did a pressure test...then some other kind of test (Cant rightly remember) said it should be ok from there...went away for a few days and is back again.
Then this evening, I went for a drive. She started up, ran kinda rough, but hey she was runnin'. Got home, parked her in the driveway went inside. The wife had to go somewhere, and wanted to take my rig. She went out to start it up...wouldnt fire...wont even try and turn over. There was a loud double pop noise...coming from the cover over the primary batt fuses...there is no power to the truck at all...no dome light...break lights wont come on...the dash lights are so dim, you can just barely see them. What do i do? Cant even take it to the dealer cause I cant get it started.

I know its long, but thanx for stickin with me here! You guys are awesome!
Thanx in Advance,
Josh

Last edited by IDF150Dude; 01-16-2005 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Orig. Posted wrong engine size
Old 01-17-2005, 08:03 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
First, get primary power back. Check the 175 A mega-fuses under that cover. There are two of them. One provides protection between the alternator and the battery, the other provides power to the rest of the vehicle. Check them. Also check for burned or damaged cable connectors under the cover and at the battery.

Make certain you disconnect the negative battery cable before attempting any repair work on the mega-fuses or cabling.

Once power is restored, you can go back to the original problem.

Steve

Old 01-17-2005, 08:05 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by IDF150Dude
Hello Everyone.
This is my first time visiting your board, and I must admit its been very helpful in locating info on the many things wrong with my baby. I have a 1997 F-150 with the 4.6L V-8. Just recently it has been having a major miss problem. Ive read a few people have had this problem already. But it will hesitate, idle rough...when I accelerate nice and smooth, she shakes and rattles, and when I mash on the pedal, she goes...and will shake until she passes 40mph. The Check Engine Light blinks, and then stays on steady.
It has gotten severly worse, to where she has been hard to start...I just recently took her into a mechanic, and he hooked his computer up, and said that Cyl. 1-4 were misfiring. He pulled the plugs, all were fouled. Replaced them, did a pressure test...then some other kind of test (Cant rightly remember) said it should be ok from there...went away for a few days and is back again.
Then this evening, I went for a drive. She started up, ran kinda rough, but hey she was runnin'. Got home, parked her in the driveway went inside. The wife had to go somewhere, and wanted to take my rig. She went out to start it up...wouldnt fire...wont even try and turn over. There was a loud double pop noise...coming from the cover over the primary batt fuses...there is no power to the truck at all...no dome light...break lights wont come on...the dash lights are so dim, you can just barely see them. What do i do? Cant even take it to the dealer cause I cant get it started.

I know its long, but thanx for stickin with me here! You guys are awesome!
Thanx in Advance,
Josh
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.

We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!
See you on the boards.
Enjoy FTE …..