1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Manual Transmission 4X4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:50 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual Transmission 4X4?

In this series of F150 trucks were there any available with four wheel drive and a manual transmission? I was surprised when I looked at the '04 listing that there were no manual trans 4WD's available. In fact, the only manual available at all was a V6 2WD.

Thanks for your help,
Doc

Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 PM
truckalpers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the new body style came out in '04, Ford continued to produce the old (curvy) body style as the "F-150 Heritage". For the '04 new body style, there were no V6's or manual trannys offered, if my memory serves me correct. However, in an '04 Heritage (old body style) you could still get a V6, and a manual, but only in 2WD. I believe the '05 new body style will have manuals, V6's, and manual V6 4x4's. The Heritage is not available for '05.

Old 01-12-2005, 06:23 AM
charlesh
Senior User
I guess the last year that a manual and 4 X 4 was available is 03. I have a manual (5 speed) 4 X 4, 4.6 V8 Scab.

Shifty clunky but I love it anyway. Just could not see myself driving an automagic transmission.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:00 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Thanks for the response. A manual transmission 4X4 is what I want, preferably with the 4.6. Since I now know somebody has one, then I guess it is safe to assume that they built one.

I will start searching for one.

Thanks again,
Doc

Old 01-12-2005, 12:06 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
charlesh,

What kind of fuel mileage does your truck get on the highway? I found one like yours, a 2003 with 4.6, 5 speed and 4X4 with 19000 miles for $16000.

Have you measured your fuel usage?

Thanks and have a great day,
Doc

Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 AM
charlesh
Senior User
MBDiagMan,

I check my mileage most every fill up. Stick with me here, as this may take a while.

First, I have 20,000 miles on the ODO, 3.55 LS rear.

My "normal" driving pattern is 9 miles back and forth to work in the Wash DC area. Think traffic and lights. Some highway driving on the weekends but not a lot. I would guess maybe 70 percent city and 30 highway. And we have the crappy oxygenated gas in this area. I average about 16.5 MPG winter and 17 Summer. I think of myself as a very conservative driver but I confess to sometimes using the power that is there for the asking.

In the Summer, I often drive to Western MD (200 miles each way). I have property that I hope to build on someday -- hopefully soon. I will get close to 18 MPG out to West. MD and close to 19 MPG back. But remember when I buy fuel in West MD it is not oxygenated. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I had to go to an untold number of dealers in April of 03 to have them find me the truck equipped the way I wanted. Had them drive it in from a dealership in WV.

Do make sure you can live with the notchy sifting. However the clutch is very smooth. Also make sure the seat can be adjusted so the pedels are at a comfortable distance for you. I have the XLT 40/60 cloth seat and this is the most comfortable seat I have sat in bar none.

I have had zero problems with my F150 -- None. Never been back to the dealer after I drove off the lot. Change the oil (using Motorcraft 5w-20) and rotate tires on a regular basis.

The price you quoted seems like a good price assuming it is an XLT.

Good luck and let us know if you buy it and how the truck performs.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:44 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Charlesh,

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. That gives me the information I was looking for.

As it turns out, the internet listing for the particular 4.6 4X4 I was talking about turned out to be a V6. In my internet search I have found several V6's but that was the only V8. It appears that you have a very rare truck indeed.

I just don't know if I could be happy with a V6 in such a heavy vehicle. The notchy shifter doesn't worry me at all. I've driven about every kind of manual transmissioned car and truck that you can imagine for over 40 years and I enjoy all manuals. I can't stand driving an automatic, or especially having to work on an automatic.

It appears that looking for a truck like yours will be very near to hopeless.

Thanks again for your very good and detailed responses,
Doc

Old 01-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It must be a somewhat regional thing too.
Where I live we have quite a few, but not lots, of these trucks with the 4.6 and 5 speed.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
I thought that a five year follow up to this post might be interesting to some of you.

Not long after originally starting this thread and learning that they did indeed make a stick shift, V8, 4 wheel drive I found and bought one. This was January or February of 2005. I had to drive to Houston to get it, which is over 300 miles from home.

I bought a 2000 model, Regular Cab, short narrow, 4.6, 5 speed, 4X4 with 59,000 miles for a little over $10,000. It had a very expensive set of Weld wheels and 33" tires. I didn't care for the tires, but liked the wheels. I finally wore out the tires and replaced them with a set of Michelin LTX's in 245 70 16. The tires transformed the truck. They are quiet and much lighter than those big hides, so it is now peppier, smoother and quieter.

The truck now only has 82,000 miles since I use it only when I need a truck. It has served me with excellent reliability and I really enjoy driving it.

As soon as I bought it, I went through and replaced ALL fluids and filters and checked everything closely. Since then I have changed oil regularly, changed brake fluid a few more times and flushed the cooling system again since then. The front brake pads are now getting thin but that is the maintenance it has seen during this time.

The only failure I've had was the alternator. A new one in place and that issue was taken care of.

SOooo... some five years after posting here and learning that the truck I wanted, actually existed, I found it, bought it and am enjoying it while getting great use of it.

One more thing. I believe that with this generation of trucks, Ford finally built a truck that drives as much like a passenger car as such a large vehicle could be made to do.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
ewalt98
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's cool!

I too wanted a manual, but alas, I couldn't get a manual with the 5.4 in a supercrew 4x4. So I had to settle for the auto box.
Now I'm looking to get an earlier standard cab 4x4 with a four speed, which I will then swap out for a 5 speed. That way I can still have my manual trans truck, and the supercrew seating for family trips in the snow or camping.

Eric

2003 Supercrew, 4x4 Lariat
1985.5 Porsche 944NA - manual!
1982 Volkswagon Vanagon - manual!
1972 Triumph GT6 - manual!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:07 AM
48prerunner
Senior User
just missed out buying a 4.6 4x4 with a manual didnt realize how rare they are, if ya wanna sell that texas truck..... lol

Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Just be careful with it...the M5OD is not built for strength.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:18 AM
4601ton
Senior User
to the OP, glad you found your dream truck. i, too, have recently came across a 4.6/5-speed truck...only in 2wd. found out those also seem to be "unique". i love the truck...4wd would be a plus...but i am ok with the 2wd...for now. lol, enjoy your truck!

Old 12-26-2015, 09:42 AM
George Kenney
New User
Proud Owner of 1999 Std Cab F150 4.6l 4x4 5spd Manual Transmission

I purchased this truck in 2001 after my Ranger manual tranny went to Valhalla leaving me roadside in the desert (thank God for mobile phones and one bar reception). I had the Ranger towed over 80 miles (good ol' AAA Premium) back to the Ford dealership and went to the used car lot. I told them I wanted a F150 with manual transmission. I was shown my current f150 XL, standard cab, 4.6l 4x4 with manual 5 speed tranny, exterior covered with Wedgewood metallic paint and ox gray cloth interior personalized with several cherry burns. The previous owner smoked so I drove off the lot with the window down breathing in the last vestiges of his addiction . . . that's fine; it smells like me now.

I dickered on the price then the salesman asked if I had anything to put down? I told him I had a trade in. We walked over to the Ranger, which was dropped off just outside the Used Car lot. The truck looked nice and the salesman asked how it ran. I said, "It doesn't; it needs a new transmission."

I drove away in my 4x4 and have never regretted the purchase. In 2011, at 162,000 the right side head sprouted several pinhole leaks. They quoted me a price on replacing the heads and I decided to go with a complete engine rebuild. At that time the shop owner asked me if I wanted to sell him the truck? After bluntly responding, "No," he told me I owned a rare 4x4 and to take good care of it. It was then I learned manual tranny's for f150 v8 4x4s were no longer being rolled off the assembly line (except I believe the Harley Davidson had this option as a direct factory order at some point).

Now, at 221,000 miles, I had the opportunity to replace the clutch and pressure plate, resurface the flywheel, replace the tie rod, add a new starter, 4 new shocks and tires. Between the engine rebuild and the recent work I've spent over half what I originally paid for the truck. I love this truck; it's paid for, all repairs are paid for, it starts when I turn the key, when I go into the mountains to BBQ and target practice the 4 wheel drive grips the ground like a mountain cat and takes me away from humanity one crunch at a time.

Did I say I love this truck? I hope those of you who still own this last generation 4x4, v8, stick-shift appreciate it as much I as do my own. My wife will have the challenge of purchasing several cemetery lots big enough for me and my "4-By" to take our long awaited dirt nap. We'll drive to Valhalla and pay our respects to the Ranger tranny then head west past Alpha Centuri and beyond.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:46 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Thanks for resurrecting the thread George. It was great reading about your truck.

I suppose that since it is bumped up after ten years, it's time for my next five year report:

The truck now has 111,000 miles. I obviously don't drive it a lot. I drive it when I need a truck. Now that I have a side by side four wheeler for working around the place, I only drive my pickup on the road these days.

Since the last five year report, I've done basic maintenance and went through one problem. It started blue smoking for a few seconds after startup out of the left side tailpipe. It had two glass packs with no crossover when I bought it and the smoke was only on the left side. I thought it was valve guide time, but a little googling on this forum and I saw where someone cured this by replacing the PCV valve. Worth a try. So five bucks and two minutes work and the smoking went away.

After learning here about the weak gearbox, I treat it gingerly.

I still love this truck. The only negative is that my situation now requires a truck to tow a car hauler trailer and this little truck just won't do it. If I do buy a truck for pulling, I don't plan on getting rid of my little five speed. It's only worth about $3,500, so it's not worth giving it up.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission 4X4?