1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Stereo/speaker Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 07:43 PM
MrHowl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone happen to have one of these diagrams? Or even able to list wires color with it's use? Th previous owner cut off the stock clips and I am trying to install a stereo. Any information would be appreciated!

Old 11-18-2002, 09:48 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

www.installdr.com

Dennis

F.T.E. Assistant Administrator

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|Club FTE]

[link: motorhaven.autoanything.com|How YOU Can Support This Site]

[link:www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html|My Website,"North Of The 49th"]

Old 11-18-2002, 10:55 PM
MrHowl
New User

I have already been there. They have the wiring from 87 and up but no for the 1986 or older model. They claim that the common ground setup in my truck is obsolete and that they would not include any info on that wiring setup.

Old 11-19-2002, 12:29 AM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you trying to wire in a factory? Because if not, you don't really need a factory harness if your going aftermarket with your stereo and speakers.

Just find the proper sources as it describes in the stereo's instructions.

My son has a tremendous sounding Sony Explode in our 82, with Sony Explode speakers in the front doors and big 10" or 12" speakers and little ones in boxes behind the seat.

We just ran our own wires. You just need a ground, constant power, and switched power, and amp wires if you go that route, then your speaker wires.

Old 11-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts

What year and what did the truck originally have?

Am or AM/Fm mono
Or factory stereo

Old 11-19-2002, 06:18 PM
nzabka
Elder User

If you have a light tester or a volt meter it's easy. Just get some fuse tappers and find a fuse source that is 12 volts constant, a 12 volt fuse source that is switched with the key and run wires to your radio harness. Make sure you use the side of the fuse that is the non-load side. You determine this by pulling out the fuse when 12 volts is present and finding the side that has 12 volts and tap into that, then put your fuse back in. There should be fuses on you're new radio's wiring harness, the red is usually 12 volts hot, and yellow is normally 12 volts switched. Ground will be anything that is metal under your dash, and in an older vehicle, that shouldn't be too hard to find. Don't mean to make this sound too elementary, I just want to make it clear for you.

As far as the speaker wires, you can run new one's to the doors, but what I'd do is take your door panels off and and see what color of wiring connects to the speakers, that way you can use the existing wires in the dash. I do have a Hayne's manual with the schematic's and could figure out which of the cut wires you could use for your power and ground but I need to know the year of your pickup because it looks like they use different wire coloring schemes. Hope this helped you, if ya got any other questions let me know.

Old 11-20-2002, 01:05 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A Haynes manual has the wiring diagrams & tells the colors. $12 anywhere.

Old 11-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Billyboy501
Freshman User

I have an 1981 F-350 4x4 and I put a really nice sterio system in my truck. Even if your not putting abig huge system in your truck do this and you will NEVER regret it:

1) Run a red wire from your (+ve) terminal on the battery to the back of the sterio.. and hook it up to the red wire on our sterio. (Constant Power)

2) Run a black wire from your (-ve) terminal on the battery to the back of the sterio.. and hook it up to the black wire on our sterio. (Ground)

3) Run a yellow wire from your fuse panel (sneak it in from behind then bring it around front ... to be neat and then wrap the yellow wire on to the radio fuse and stick the fuse back into its socket). Now run it to the back of the deck. Hook it up to the yellow wire. (Ignition)

------ if you have -------

4) an amplifier then run a blue wire from the amp to the back of the deck and hook the blue wire up. (REMOTE)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was the easy part. That hard part is the speaker wires. I just ran them brandnew from the doors and behind the seat. DO what I did, it will save time and energy and frustration.

You will never regret this becuase every time you upgrade your sterio system your wires will be the right colors and you will never have to guess as to which wire does what. The factory wires suck and are confusing. Do this not only for yourself, but if you plan on selling the truck, for the next owner.

* always remmeber to label the wires behind the deck so you know what is what FOREVER*

Thanks if there is anymore questions..... write me an e-mail

elder_tilleman(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 11-20-2002, 04:20 PM
rc351w
Senior User