Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

I could be done

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 08:37 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool I could be done

Well, it's come to this. After all of the money invested and after all the work put into it, another oil puddle has formed underneath the '86 F-150. I haven't had a chance to take a close look at it, but it would look as though the rear seal is the problem spot . . . again. Either way, if it turns out to be another $500+ repair, the truck is going to go. I've been looking at the list of repairs done to the truck over the past few years and have found where an excessive amount of my money has gone. Too many repeat repairs for things that should not be breaking.

I know that an 18 year old truck is going to be breaking from time to time, but the list shows a bad pattern. One of my concerns has been the problems from the previous owner that I've discovered and had to clean up. I'm also facing the fact that I don't need a truck for what I do at this time in my life. I've been telling myself over the last two years that 'if I hold onto it long enough, I'll have a big use for it'. Unforetuneatly, the truck never breaks the mold of "daily driver", and daily driver eats too much fuel.

My plan would be to sell the '86 and either invest the money into my '88 Grand Marquis; or sell the '86 and sell the '88 back to my mom (used to be her car) and buy another truck. At this point I really don't know what I'm going to do. I may just suck up the cost and keep repairing this truck until I've nothing left. It just seems that whenever I get a little ahead with money, something big breaks on the truck.

I'm sorry for the long rant, guys. It's just getting to be a real pain with the wallet and the truck. I can't seem to get a thousand miles on the truck without something going wrong. I'll take a close look tomorrow and go from there.

------------------------
Justin

Old 12-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hopefully its just a valve cover and not the rear main.

Whatever happens, don't be leaving the driftas'

Old 12-27-2004, 09:51 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
I figured that this pounding headache wouldn't go away until I checked to see what was leaking. Crawled underneath and found the rear seal was good, it's the transfer case that's leaking. I'm gonna sleep on it and check with my mechanic on the repair cost. If it's pricy, the truck will go up for sale. If I knew another way to go, I would, but this is the most money saving route.

Needless to say, I'm not happy with either way that this goes.

----------------------
Justin

Old 12-28-2004, 10:08 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
I drive old trucks 'cause in the long run it's cheaper to maintain one than make payments/full coverage insurance, etc. But sometimes the maintenance comes in big chunks that are painful. There have been times when I couldn't cover those big repairs and newer/more reliable was a better choice. I've done it both ways.

Do what you have to for now. There are more trucks out there just like the one you have. Once a pickup man, always a pickup man. They get in your blood. Stick around here - we'd miss you and if you sell the current one, you'll eventually be back in a truck.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:53 AM
MontanaFord
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like mtflat said...."Once a pickup man, always a pickup man" no words could be more true....there's even a song about it...i believe it's Alan Jackson that sings it....listen to that song, and it's truth all the way through...even though my truck uses an easy quart to quart and a half of oil a day, and i change the spark plugs about every 3 wks regularly, due to oil-fouling, and i get a totally awesome (note sarcasm) 8-9 mpg outta my 84 f-150 4x4 300-6 4 spd, i decided that for what the truck's given to me in overall reliability, i'm gonna return ten-fold to the truck by making it a better truck than it started out as...dana 60 axles w/ 1 ton suspension, built up 300-6, zf 5 spd, a basic restoration to like-new condition, and possibly new paint.....tho if i leave the paint how it is, i won't feel bad when the truck gets a new scratch or ding....

MontanaFord

Old 12-29-2004, 03:09 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
I will stick around even after the '86 is sold. I'm not sure what will happen in the short-term after I sell the '86, but I will someday have another Ford truck. I'm just gonna have to wait and see. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

---------------------
Justin

Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 PM
lurch
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer case seals aren't all that hard to replace on your own. Usually nothing more than a few bolts and a new seal, and can be done pretty cheap if you do it yourself.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
It hasn't leaked since that horribly cold weather. Still trying to sell it, though. I need the money to get started on my Grand Marquis project.

------------------
Justin

Old 02-07-2005, 03:02 AM
mt78Lariat
Senior User
Old trucks are my choice cuz its nice having something that is out of the ordinary,,the average of 10 mpg is fine, dont have that monthly payment or full coverage insurance, and the occasional wrenching is fine, cuz i love to work on em. I like the feeling of pride when I can say,, I built that, and i painted it too..............................

Old 02-09-2005, 09:29 PM
RICE H8R
Elder User
Kinda sucks sticking money into things. I've stuck countless dollars into my '95, but I still have it. Hope you can sell it quick. What are you doing with your Grand Marquis anyway?

Old 02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Here's the plan for the '88 Grand Marquis:

-High Output 302
-Mustang headers and H-pipe w/ dual exhaust
-3.55 gear ratio (improving from stock 2.73)
-Trac-lock rear differential
-Wide ratio kit for transmission
-Body work (eventually)

. . . and whatever else may come up along the way.

This has been a project that I've been looking forward to for a few years.

----------------
Justin