6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Diesel Surging in my 2005 F350

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 06:59 PM
foud
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 6.0 Diesel Surging in my 2005 F350

Anyone having a problem with your 6.0 Liter diesel surging and bucking periodically. Blue smoke out the exhasut pipe and no power for a few seconds, plus the bucking are the symptoms. A buddy of mine has the same problem to the point it is happening to him every day at least once. Ideas?

Old 12-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Tuned
Same here. My analogy is sputtering like it is out of fuel. Chasing down EGR and EBP valve and sensor as we speak. Too soon to tell............

Old 12-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by foud
Anyone having a problem with your 6.0 Liter diesel surging and bucking periodically. Blue smoke out the exhasut pipe and no power for a few seconds, plus the bucking are the symptoms. A buddy of mine has the same problem to the point it is happening to him every day at least once. Ideas?
Hi foud,

WELCOME to the site and the 6.0 L forum, please read the Guidelines… Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.

Be sure to check out the 6.0 Bible…..great reading
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

…. In the upper right hand corner of your screen check this out PARTS SHOP for all your “trucking” needs

Must read
http://www.clubfte.com/users/monsta/SuperDutyFAQ.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=303583
Enjoy FTE

Old 12-20-2004, 05:27 AM
kwiknova
Freshman User
My 04 does this occassionally. The EGR is unplugged and it did it again today, so I am ruling that out. It has been to the dealer 3 times, new flash, but other than that they did nothing. As soon as it does it after the holidays I am going to try a new dealer. Let me know what you find out. Oh, mine only does this after I stop at a stoplight or something after I have been driving it for awhile.

If anyone knows anything PLEASE HELP. I hate looking like a fool at a stoplight when my $45000 truck dies.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Tuned
Mine does it after coasting down a hill. When I accelarate after idle it sarts bucking and smoking. Hot or cold but not all the time.

What we have in common is the engine is at idle speed just before the symptoms start. Dealer told me the EGR is closed at idle. What we are guessing is it won't open up smoothly. If I floor it, many times it will power through it and function OK. Once in a while I have to sit on the shoulder and wait a while.

They also told me that GM, Chrysler and Ford all use the same EGR valve on diesels.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:07 PM
khensley
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
ICP !!!

Exact same issues for mine, and many others. Even a tech bulletin out for the techs to watch for bad ICP's....for some reason, mine took 4 trips before it actually kept a check-egine light and threw the correct code.

check this thread for more info: http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...ght=ICP+valve+

and/or do a search for ICP.

good luck!!

kh

Old 12-29-2004, 06:38 PM
pullin350
New User
6.0 Surge

Have an 04 F350 6.0 and it will surge on cool mornings. Was told by a friend that someone told him that Rotella 15-40 was the problem and that there is some additive for the Rotella but he isn't able to tell me what it is. I called my local dealer and he had heard nothing about this but he did call a Ford tech who knew nothing either. If anyone has had problems with Rotella in the 6.0 litre I would appreciate knowing and also if there is an additive exactly what is it. I have alway ran Rotella in my previous trucks and had no problems but this is the first 6.0 I have had all others were the old faithful 7.3.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Also check to make sure the oil isn't overfull. And for a 6.0L engine, "overfull" means anything past HALFWAY between the hash marks on the dipstick. If you put more than 13.5-14 quarts back in after an oil drain, you have overfilled it. It will cause these same symptoms.

Duncan

Old 12-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Hi pullin350,

WELCOME to the site, please read the Guidelines. Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.

Be sure to check out the 6.0 Bible...great reading
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

In the upper right hand corner of your screen check this out PARTS SHOP for all your trucking needs. . . .

Must read
http://www.clubfte.com/users/monsta/SuperDutyFAQ.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=303583
Enjoy FTE

Old 12-29-2004, 08:03 PM
walc
Senior User
Originally Posted by pullin350
Have an 04 F350 6.0 and it will surge on cool mornings. Was told by a friend that someone told him that Rotella 15-40 was the problem and that there is some additive for the Rotella but he isn't able to tell me what it is. I called my local dealer and he had heard nothing about this but he did call a Ford tech who knew nothing either. If anyone has had problems with Rotella in the 6.0 litre I would appreciate knowing and also if there is an additive exactly what is it. I have alway ran Rotella in my previous trucks and had no problems but this is the first 6.0 I have had all others were the old faithful 7.3.
I'm using Shell Rotella T 15W40, w/o any additive, and I've not had any problems.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 AM
kwiknova
Freshman User
I use Delo oil, so I would rule out the Rotella as a problem.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:50 PM
WhiskeyMan
New User
Mine is doing it, too. I have occassionally had rough idle after a cold start, with lots of smoke. Goes on for a second or two while I rev it up and then all is fine. Have had the engine hesitation, bucking, and plenty of smoke 3 times while in gear. Seems to happen while under a light peddle and slight lugging in the lower gears. No problems at all at highway speeds. I'm now @ 1,300 miles.

I would sure like to hear more, if anyone has been to the dealer for these symptoms. Otherwise, I think I'll drive mine awhile before I take it in.

Last edited by WhiskeyMan; 12-31-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:53 PM
foud
New User
Thanks for the feedback Whiskeyman. My F350 bucked and pushed unburned diesel out the exhaust on slow take off under slight lugging as well. I have 3000 miles and it has only happened once. However, I am concerned because a friend with a 2004 6.0 liter has had the problem so often it was occuring almost every day. I have been in his truck when it has happened and it was under slight load. Lucky for him he traded it in on a 2005 so someone else will need to address the problem.
It will be interesting to see if others have these conditions.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:51 PM
WhiskeyMan
New User
Hey foud,

I hope Frobozz may have the answer, but I haven't confirmed it yet. I now have 1,500 miles, and can expect this action at least once a day. My dipstick is reading FULL, and I am considering letting a quart or so out, if this is possible. Think I'll order 13.5 quarts at my first oil change at the dealer, which is coming up soon.

Also, I read somewhere on these forums that there may be a flash out soon. But NOBODY is going to flash my truck without GUARANTEED results for this specific problem. Fortunately, I have a couple of good dealers to work with.

I am now frequently getting rough idle, and lots of blue smoke after the necessary revving after a cold start on a regular basis. Occassional engine hesitation and slight bucking/hesitation while in gear as I previously described. This seems to be a minor problem, and should be an oil level or computer or sensor problem, given this engine is in it's third year.

Other than this situation, this is a FANTASTIC truck!!! I can't wait to get up and go to work in the morning just so I can drive it!!! This is my 5th F-250 since 1987, and all have been great trucks. I'm confident that my present problems will be resolved.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:01 AM
t_j82
Elder User
I was wondering what the heck was going on.... I started my truck the other day when it was about 9 deg out and while it started ok, as soon as it caught the idle surged to about 1800 then dropped to normal. I did notice a lot of blue smoke and it sounded "muted" or wierdly quiet at idle. This just started happening (8000 miles) so we will see I guess. Just what I need is another issue with this truck.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Diesel Surging in my 2005 F350