2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic rust proofing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 03:40 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic rust proofing?

I was at My Ford dealer looking into getting rust proffing done to the bottom of the truck since I plan on keeping this for a while and I would hate for it to start rusting up on me.
Anyway, I was just planning on getting the spray on under the truck (I thought thats all you could do for rust proofing) My dealer let me know something else that they came out with. It's something they hook up into your engine bay and something hooks onto a metal part of the truck which they say sends some kind of pulse through out the entire truck, any metal to metal parts on the truck will not rust they say a long with the hole truck itself. They say you can grind down the paint and you never have to worry about that part even rusting as well. It's also under warranty, if any part ever starts to rust, they will replace anything that starts to rust with this rust proofing machine in your truck. My dealer wanted $350.00 to have this put in, but I'm debating it because I have never heard about this before? Have any of you guys heard of this before? What should I do here?

Old 12-19-2004, 03:50 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
I have seen this before in JCWhitney, but wasn't aware that the dealer was offering it.
I don't know, it sounds good in theory, but I don't know if it really works.

Old 12-19-2004, 04:25 PM
tcparry
Senior User
Thumbs down

This method is to good to be true...It was big about 10 yrs. or so ago..It was proven to be just snake oil.. The only person's it is good for is the dealers who sell the product/service..

Old 12-19-2004, 06:15 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
so in other words, your pretty much saying its garbage? Hows the spray on rust proofing? Should I even bother? Anyone else have this done?

Old 12-19-2004, 07:12 PM
CrAz3D
Freshman User
shouldn't the spray on rust proof be snake oil?... how can an electro impulse be snake oil?

Old 12-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Droog
Junior User
They use this form of "electronic rust proofing" on underground piping and tall free standing structures. We have it on all our underground pipes and vessels at work and there's no rust on any of them. Now, if that little gizmo can be hooked up to your battery and provide the same level of rustproofing to your truck? I don't know, my friends who have that gizmo have only had it for a couple years.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:25 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No worries about rust where I live, but while I am super leery of 'miracle fixes' I have to admit I have used something like that on my boat. Lots of corrosion on the salt water. The zink anodes on the boat can almost desolve in a year. Nothing else corrodes. Usually...
Wish someone could find a study. Just curious, as I say no one out here even knows what rust is.
Chris

Old 12-19-2004, 08:26 PM
75Player
Senior User
If this thing is hooked to your battery, wouldn't it have to turn off when the truck isn't running? What's to prevent rust when its off? Sound rather hokey to me.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:41 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Originally Posted by 75Player
If this thing is hooked to your battery, wouldn't it have to turn off when the truck isn't running? What's to prevent rust when its off? Sound rather hokey to me.
Wow!!! ur right!! it does hook up to the battery! I think the dealer is trying to just get money out of me!! AHHH!! Good thing I asked about it in here so I know not to get that done!! Thanks guys!

Old 12-19-2004, 09:05 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Here it is....
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...01/p-5/c-10101

You can have it for only $99.99

Old 12-20-2004, 09:33 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It works in THEORY on a vehicle, but not in practice. For it to work, one of two things would happen: 1) Your battery would go dead in 30 minutes, or 2) you'd receive a near-lethal shock every time you grab the door handle. These devices are powerful enough to protect the metal within 4-6 inches of the anodes, and that's all. What you're buying is a guarantee, assuming the company stays in business. And most of the companies that sold these devices in the 90's are long gone.

Oddly enough, my '96 Town Car has this device (I bought the car used), and it has absolutely no rust, even here in Western New York, after nearly 10 years. Is it the device working? Or the fact that this car has only seen one winter ('96-'97), and has been stored (and pampered) every winter since? I think it's the latter.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
A girl i work with has this device in her mustang, but she never drives it in winter and also hasn't had it long enough to tell if it really works.

I got the undercoating on my truck. I feel it is much better than a device that hasn't been around long enough to 'prove' that it really works. Just my .02

Old 12-20-2004, 11:26 AM
rcm800
Junior User
I believe that what they are trying to sell to you is an impressed current cathodic protection system. These are used to protect undergroung structures. What they do is create a flow of electrons ussually from an anode. By sacrificing the anode, instead of the structure, the formation of corrosion does not happen on the parent material. This system is very effective and we use them in all the buried structures that we build.

I do not see any way that this can help to protect a car, because there is no medium for the current to pass through. The air that surrounds a car cannot correctly flow the electrons. So my opinion is that there is no way that this can work.

The problem with undercoating is that you have already driven the vehicle and things have already tried to attack it. I wouldn't worry about undercoating. Keep watching it and if in a few years you see some rust then I would coat it with POR-15.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mjbesen310
I was at My Ford dealer looking into getting rust proffing done to the bottom of the truck since I plan on keeping this for a while and I would hate for it to start rusting up on me.
Anyway, I was just planning on getting the spray on under the truck (I thought thats all you could do for rust proofing) My dealer let me know something else that they came out with. It's something they hook up into your engine bay and something hooks onto a metal part of the truck which they say sends some kind of pulse through out the entire truck, any metal to metal parts on the truck will not rust they say a long with the hole truck itself. They say you can grind down the paint and you never have to worry about that part even rusting as well. It's also under warranty, if any part ever starts to rust, they will replace anything that starts to rust with this rust proofing machine in your truck. My dealer wanted $350.00 to have this put in, but I'm debating it because I have never heard about this before? Have any of you guys heard of this before? What should I do here?
We sold the "Rust Evader" back in the early 90s at the Lincoln Mercury dealer where I worked back then. It's sound technology and is used by many states to prevent corrosion on bridges for highways.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:56 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biggziff
We sold the "Rust Evader" back in the early 90s at the Lincoln Mercury dealer where I worked back then. It's sound technology and is used by many states to prevent corrosion on bridges for highways.
Go to Yahoo! search and type in "rust evader." 80% of the articles are:
- FTC orders Rust Evader to stop marketing
- Rust Evader refunds purchase price to consumers
- Florida Attorney General files suit against Rust Evader
- Rust Evader claims found to be false, etc....

I've never done a search on a product where almost everything that comes up is about their legal problems. The fact remains that this technology works very well underground or under water, but is unproven to work on vehicles. These companies know that the people most likely to purchase such a product are those that take great care of their vehicles in the first place. That figures very heavily into the "anti-rust" equation. Save your money, folks.

Quick Reply: Electronic rust proofing?