1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

03 Expedition Rotor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:23 AM
FSU2Times
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 03 Expedition Rotor Removal

Help!!!! Does anyone know how to remove the front rotors on the '03 Expedition. The Auto Parts store loanded us a slide hammer and that didn't do anything (although not from lack of effort).

I really want to do this replacement at home but have no clue how to get the old rotors off.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:36 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
For most a BFH has done the trick along with penetrating oil, torches, sawsalls, etc.

Somebody made a good suggestion once. Put the wheel back on and don't fully tighten the lugs then lower the vehicle and drive it a couple feet and let the weight of the vehicle do all the work.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:44 PM
saltzy
Senior User
...or, you might have to bite the bullet and replace the whole hub and assembly because the rotors just won't come off. Of course, I don't think this will be your case since this was on my '01 when it was almost 3 years old. We banged used PB BLaster and did everything under the sun for 3 hours until we brought it to the shop where the mechanic/owner raised it for a better angle, hammered it for 2 more hours then used heat and they still wouldn't budge.

Lots of others haven't had it so bad. A few have resorted to using a sawzall and cutting them off in pizza-like wedges. Better than a mis-swing with the BFH and snapping off the little ear on the steering knuckle where the caliper attaches to. Not that that's happened to me or anything.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:49 AM
hoosier1985
New User
Angry Help with caliper bracket removal.....2003 EXPED

Help...I hate to sound like a big sissy...I've changed pads on other vehicles, BUT after fighting with 2 bolts for 1 hr (and winning), I couldn't get bracket off rotor. Is there something else to remove or are pads stuck to rotor? I tried to gently pry but wasn't sure.........2003 Expedition 4X4

Old 12-19-2004, 09:05 AM
saltzy
Senior User
Use a C-Clamp and push the piston back a little ways into the caliper. The caliper should come off pretty easily after that. If the pads were stuck to the rotor, the truck wouldn't move.

If you can push the piston far enough back, and the pads are worn out enough, you'll probably see them fall out of place and it should come right off.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 PM
cypherantidote
New User
Thumbs up rotor removal

my method....

-borrow a 5 ton pull from autozone
-using a grinder with a 1/8'' edge, cut three designated spots on the lip of the inner portion of the rotor (depicted as red in the image below)

-set the pull up and start cranking

works like a charm everytime for me.

cheers!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
AF Mezkin
Senior User
I recently replaced my rotos on my 03 Expy and ran into some trouble with the front rotors. What seemed to work for me was to remove the caliper and move it out of the way and spray WD40 around the center, around the bolt holes and from behind the rotor then let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes. I then gave the rotor swift hits to the rotor INWARD to brake it lose, then I gave it light blows from the back going around the rotor until it starts to seperate. The first one took me around 30 minutes, once I knew what to do the second was done in half the time. Hope this helps out, good luck!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
dakota_viking
Elder User
Originally Posted by AF Mezkin
I recently replaced my rotos on my 03 Expy and ran into some trouble with the front rotors. What seemed to work for me was to remove the caliper and move it out of the way and spray WD40 around the center, around the bolt holes and from behind the rotor then let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes. I then gave the rotor swift hits to the rotor INWARD to brake it lose, then I gave it light blows from the back going around the rotor until it starts to seperate. The first one took me around 30 minutes, once I knew what to do the second was done in half the time. Hope this helps out, good luck!
Very good advice! I've used this method before on many different vehicles and it has always served me well.

The inward blows will get things loosened up and then you can do the outward hits.

A little anti-seize around the hub when putting it back together never hurts either.

Tim

Old 07-07-2007, 06:08 AM
flyncasafo
New User
I had the same problem on my 00. I soaked the rotors in PB Blaster for two days then whacked the crap out of them and still they did not budge. I had to use the Sawzall with three cuts into the rotors and they fell right off! I used tons of antiseize afterwards.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:49 PM
c_hohensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by FSU2Times
Help!!!! Does anyone know how to remove the front rotors on the '03 Expedition. The Auto Parts store loanded us a slide hammer and that didn't do anything (although not from lack of effort).

I really want to do this replacement at home but have no clue how to get the old rotors off.
This may be a silly question but is the truck 2wd of 4wd? If it is 2wd you problably have to remove the hub and rotor as one unit which in that case means releasing the front bearing.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:05 AM
racerock
Senior User
Originally Posted by flyncasafo
I had the same problem on my 00. I soaked the rotors in PB Blaster for two days then whacked the crap out of them and still they did not budge. I had to use the Sawzall with three cuts into the rotors and they fell right off! I used tons of antiseize afterwards.
Good move, hopefully you have seen one of my posts on this. Sawzall is the way to go, it does not stress your front end at all.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
racerock
Senior User
Originally Posted by cypherantidote
my method....

-borrow a 5 ton pull from autozone
-using a grinder with a 1/8'' edge, cut three designated spots on the lip of the inner portion of the rotor (depicted as red in the image below)

-set the pull up and start cranking

works like a charm everytime for me.

cheers!
It is stuff like this (and the other suggestions which include a 3 lb sledge) that crack me up. Why put all the stress on your bearings, ball joints, brake brackets, etc. Just to throw out the rotor.

If you have a wizwheel, sawzall, and a cold chisel, just slice the rotor, spread it with the cold chisel and cut the sucker off.

Takes about 10 minutes a side, with no stress.

Can we make something on this a sticky?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:01 PM
sclieu
New User
Hi...I searched various places, and found various solutions to getting the front rotors off. Seems like depending on year and 2WD/AWD, it may be different. Can someone please let me know best way to remove front rotors for my SUV:

'04 Expedition with 2WD.

If I have to remove the hub and rotor, how do I do that? I got the calipers off and tried banging at it, but that did not seem to work. I've also heard of some folks advice (which used to work on my old car) where you used the sockets where the calipers are bolted to, and get a strong bolt, washer, and nut, to basically push out the rotor. Anyone tried that solution on the Expy?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
sclieu
New User
Update on my question to hopefully help others. I was able to get the rotors out as follows:
1) I borrowed a 2 -ton puller from Autozone. It was a bit small, but I was able to adjust it to barely fit the rotor. I tried to get it out but it did not seem to budge. I left it there as I assumed it was still putting pressure on the rotor to come out.
2) I went and bought some bolts, nuts, washers and used the holes that normally hold the calipers in place, to push the rotor out. After turning the bolt a few times, the rotor popped out. It made a somewhat loud noise that startled me, but I was happy as hell.

In summary, I don't think I really needed the puller, but it did not hurt either. I'm going to change my other rotor and try it w/o the puller to see if the bolt trick works.

FYI, I never worked on the Expy before and it's a bitch to change the brakes. It took awhile to figure out how to fit the pads on, but now that I know, it's pretty simple.

Hope this helps others.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:36 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I cut some OAK wedges and BFH ,and used behind rotor top and bottom after soaking good with WD40. One set of wedges for each side.

Quick Reply: 03 Expedition Rotor Removal