1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Changing the heater core

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 PM
montanafordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Here's my question - I"m going to be pulling my dash out for some other work so should I change out my heater core since the dash will be out anyway? I do know this is a big job - and for the 50 bucks or so for a new heater core do you think it'd be worth it? How life limited are these stock heater cores? Is it kind of a crapshoot or because of coolant not being changed? Or is it common they fail after 10 years or so? my 98's never been changed and I sort of think if its broke, don't fix it - yet if I"m going to have the entire dash out now would be the time rather than have it go out in a year and wish I'd changed it now... Is there much risk to having the replacement leak because of improper installation or is it pretty fool proof packing it in snug and tight?
Any of your thoughts???

Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
nfrhford
New User
Good time to spray evaporator/ductwork for "funny odors?"

Has anybody had an anti-freeze odor coming from their vent ducts as a result of the anti-freze wafting through the plastic channels and coating them? If so, is there something to spray in there that will dissolve/eliminate the resdue that wont be poisonous to breathe afterward? I have had odors from my a/c during the summer - kind of a musty mildew smell at times - is it OK to spray the evaporator with something like Febreeze or some other deodorant? Anybody out there done this with bad results (i.e. evaporator corrodes through due to chemicals in spray cleaner)? Hoping to hear back from someone on this topic - thanks from a "newbie"

Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 AM
montanafordman
Senior User
Here is an article I came accross a while ago... http://www.allpar.com/fix/acsmell.html

Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
j.butt
New User
Could someone please send me the instructions on how to change the heater core to
j.butt@miamicountyymca.net

Thanks Jon

Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE j.butt! Go to this link and click on the word "here" it will take you to the document requested. Good luck!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ml#post5294447

Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 AM
trailor
Junior User
dude don't waste your time with the clamps. i pryed em off and then cut em off. then i put adjustable clamps when i put em back on. i did this over a year ago and have checked them a couple times a month since, give em a nice hard tug, never came loose nor leaked whatsoever.

other than that, i'd say follow that word document. the first time i did it, it took me a while. i had to do it two more times though because i lost a couple screws and the noise they were making drove me nuts. i found em both, and each time it took me about 45 min to get everything done (partial dash removal, etc.)

oh and you don't hafta unplug all the wires and stuff, theres only a couple you absolutely need to unplug due to lack of reach (just make sure the battery is disconnected!!)

p.s. if you need the word document, i may be able to send it to you via email. so email me at atramont@uno.edu with the subject "Heater core" and i'll see if i can find it once i get my laptop back from the repair shop

Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 PM
jakewarren
New User
where is the batery to starter relay cable for the airbag is it the one under the hood by the battery thanks do i have to remove my center console 1999 expedition to take my dash out

Old 12-20-2009, 03:39 PM
97fordf150
Junior User
Htr Core instructions

1. Disconnect the battery.
Its repeated in the instructions as a warning not to procede unless the battery is completly disconnected. Just like the illustration shows.
2. Your Expedition's console may be in the way of the dash when you try to pull it out to expose the heater core plenum. If it is, then Yes remove what you need to move the dash out far enough to access the Htr core.
The back page of the instructions shows the expedition addendum.
Heres the link to the instructions
javascriptl('http://my.voyager.net/~sscully/F-15097HtrCoreRepairF150_Exp_002.doc');

Best of luck,
dfkelly42

Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM
jakewarren
New User
what about the battery to starter relay cable where is it located

Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 PM
97fordf150
Junior User
"what about the battery to starter relay cable where is it located"
Refer to the illustration in the instructions, (Step1) The cable your refering to is the Positive connection at the battery. That connects directly to the remote starter solenoid. Disconnect both cables "at the battery".
Best of Luck, here's a quick link to the instructions online

javascriptl('http://my.voyager.net/~sscully/F-15097HtrCoreRepairF150_Exp_002.doc');

Don

For 1997 (and later) F-150 and Expedition models.
Allow yourself all weekend to get it done but dont be surprised if you get it completed in 4-8 hours. (even less with help) I could have saved alot of time if I didnt have to learn these lessons the hard way. The service manual recommends removing the dash completely, dont bother, it just needs to be pulled out far enough on the passenger side to access the heater core plenum. Just follow the instructions and skip the steps labeled "optional"...
If you read the instructions all the way through you'll see what I mean.
Here you go, ...
Be patient with it, have "all" your tools ready and take it one step at a time...
Don

Last edited by 97fordf150; 09-20-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 AM
fwclark
New User
Hello everyone...a newbie here. Been reading about replacing the heater core and I have to admit, it sounds intimidating but have no choice but to do it myself. My question is, besides having no heat, defrost, etc., is there any harm done by by-passing the heater core until I have both time and money to replace it? Thanks.

Wayne

Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM
avator
Senior User
Originally Posted by fwclark
Hello everyone...a newbie here. Been reading about replacing the heater core and I have to admit, it sounds intimidating but have no choice but to do it myself. My question is, besides having no heat, defrost, etc., is there any harm done by by-passing the heater core until I have both time and money to replace it? Thanks.

Wayne
lol... this is a 7 year old thread.... but bad heater cores are still with us today.

yes - you can by pass the heater. we used to do this back in the 60's to avail the engine of all the cooling we could get.

when you do get around to replacing the core - don't forget to replace the heater blend door also. only makes sense to do it while you've got the dash apart.... or you'll be back under there to do the blend door.

trust me - I learned the hard way.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
fwclark
New User
Originally Posted by avator
lol... this is a 7 year old thread.... but bad heater cores are still with us today.

I guess that proves that information is timeless! Thanks for your response. Good advise on the door replacement too. Got it on "cool" right now to by-pass the smell. Thank God spring's comin'!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 AM
avator
Senior User
Originally Posted by fwclark
I guess that proves that information is timeless! Thanks for your response. Good advise on the door replacement too. Got it on "cool" right now to by-pass the smell. Thank God spring's comin'!
oh - BTW: welcome from Texas!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:43 PM
fwclark
New User
Originally Posted by avator
oh - BTW: welcome from Texas!
Appreciation from a Tennessee neighbor.

Quick Reply: Changing the heater core