Aerostar Ford Aerostar

how do I change a front axle? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 12:23 AM
koalamazed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation how do I change a front axle? HELP!

the van started going "clickity pop clickity pop" around corners the other day. i got uinder to inspect the CV boots and yep the drivers side outer CV boot is ripped all the way round, and the grease has been flung out of it all over the place.

I got a new axle assembly rather than rebuild mine.

I am a little bit scared of this repair because it was what killed my audi 5000 turbo I had. I never did get it right and ended up selling the car for pennies.

i am assuming i have to take the wheel, brakes, tie rod, off of the spindle. then drop the lower arm. ummm, axle nut? then the flange bolts on the inner portion of the shaft that mounts to the differential? i dont have the right chilton manual to look at!

on my audi i never got the torque of the axle nut right and i kept ruining hub bearings. those are a royal pain to change, and I dont want to do that on this van!

help!

Old 12-04-2004, 10:51 PM
bozzzz94
Senior User
Yes-as far as specifics you will need a manual Chilton's/Haynes. What I would do if I was you and what I've done in the past. Most people don't think of this but I will share this with you. Go to one of the big auto salvage places, the kind with acres and acres of cars. You are not going to commit any crime here. Just simply take apart an assembly at the salvage yard. Even if your not going to purchase the part you could chaulk it up as helping someone out and lay the newly disassembled parts in the van. What you have done now is put yourself through an aerostar 101 beginners class. "Right!"----I've done this before-no harm-no foul. You'll be better for it and if you goof-oh well-its junk, not your car and chances are the part wouldn't have been sold anyway and usually the ride is smashed within weeks. I hope that I've helped. Just a thought. It worked for me. Good luck. Boz
p.s. remember to drag it in to the alignment shop soon after

Old 12-05-2004, 07:19 AM
bobcf
Senior User
I did the iner u-joints on my 91. I did not have to remove the tie rods. I did have to remove the shocks, so that the wheel end of the axel would fit between the shock and the spring. My shocks were only a few years old, if yours are any older I would be prepared to replace them if they dont come out in one pice.

Its not that tough of a job, I replaced the u-joints, that was time consuming. 95 should have 2 cv joints instead of a u-joint.

Bob

Old 12-05-2004, 12:20 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
my next day off is tuesday. thats when the surgery is going to be performed on "smurfy". it looks like ill just buy the book and see how its done for sure.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:54 PM
M.Herrington
Senior User
not sure if this is what you're talking about, i'm not the best on suspension, but here is the manual...

Front I-Beam Axle, Ranger and Explorer

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the front wheel spindle, the front spring, and the stabilizer bar (if so equipped) as outlined in this section.

2. Remove the spring lower seat from the radius arm, and then remove the bolt and nut that attaches the radius arm to the (I-beam) front axle.

3. Remove the axle-to-frame pivot bracket bolt and nut.

For installation, follow removal procedures in reverse order. Tighten axle-to-frame bracket bolt and nut to 163-203 N-m (120-150 ft-lb). Tighten axle to radius arm bolt to 258-312 N-m (191-231 ft-lb).

here's the diagram...http://www.herringtontech.net/logs/axle.jpg

and an explanation of the parts...

ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ Item ³ Part Number ³ Description ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ 1 ³ 802073 ³ Nut 95-125 N-m ³
³ ³ ³ (70-92 Ft-Lb) ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ 2 ³ 3B178 ³ Right Front Axle Pivot Bracket ³
³ 3 ³ 801079 ³ Bolt 163-203 N-m ³
³ ³ ³ (120-150 Ft-Lb) (Install in Direction ³
³ ³ ³ Shown) ³
³ 4 ³ 620604 ³ Nut ³
³ 5 ³ 802246 ³ Bolt and Retainer ³
³ 6 ³ 390386 ³ Bolt 258-312 N-m ³
³ ³ ³ (191-231 Ft-Lb) (Install in Direction ³
³ ³ ³ Shown) ³
³ 7 ³ 642569 ³ Cotter Pin ³
³ 8 ³ 3B008 ³ Steering Connecting Arm ³
³ 9 ³ 383436 ³ Nut 141-198 N-m ³
³ ³ ³ (104-146 Ft-Lb) ³
³ 10 ³ 3105 ³ Spindle (RH) ³
³ ³ 3106 ³ Spindle (LH) ³
³ 11 ³ N806372-S100 ³ Nut and Washer Assembly 53-72 N-m (39-53 ³
³ ³ ³ Ft-Lb) ³
³ 12 ³ 18045 ³ Shock Absorber ³
³ 13 ³ 3405 ³ Radius Arm ³
³ 14 ³ 606082 ³ Bolt 65-88 N-m (48-65 Ft-Lb) ³
³ 15 ³ 3B404 ³ Camber Adjuster ³
³ 16 ³ 5020 ³ Crossmember Reference ³
³ 17 ³ 3006 ³ Right Axle ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

Old 12-05-2004, 08:55 PM
M.Herrington
Senior User
btw, if that's not the right diagram, let me know what the manual would call the assembly you're trying to replace, and i'll get it up here

Old 12-05-2004, 11:26 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
wow. nice post harrington!

but thats not my van..

I have a 95 ford aerostar van 4.0 with E-4WD.

the drivers side front, outer CV joint is bad. I am replacing the whole axle "half shaft" and cv joints, both inner and outer, as one piece.

do you have the book for that one?

thanks!!!

Old 12-06-2004, 06:52 AM
M.Herrington
Senior User
hmmm...ok....lemme try again...

Ball Joint and Arm Assembly, Upper

Removal

WARNING:
WHEN SERVICING ANY COMPONENT IN THE UPPER CONTROL ARM AND BALL JOINT SYSTEM, ONLY ONE SIDE OF THE VEHICLE IS SERVICED AT A TIME. NEVER SERVICE BOTH SIDES AT THE SAME TIME.

NOTE:
Any time the steering linkage is disconnected from the steering knuckle, the steering system must be placed in the "on-center" position.

1. Place the steering wheel and steering system in the "on-center" position.

2. Raise the vehicle on a frame hoist. Place safety stands under the lower control arm. Slowly lower the hoist to maintain coil spring compression.

Front Drive Axle Crossmember and Control Arm Mounting

ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ 1 ³ 3C137 ³ Front Drive Axle Crossmember Assembly ³
³ 2 ³ Ä ³ Shim (Part of 3393) ³
³ 3 ³ N804386 ³ Bolt ³
³ 4 ³ N611194-S ³ Screw. Tighten to 14-19 N-m(10-14 Ft-Lb) ³
³ ³ ³ , ³
³ ³ ³ if Equipped ³
³ 5 ³ 38380 ³ Bolt Bracket Retainer, if Equipped ³
³ 6 ³ N611175 ³ Screw. Tighten to 14-19 N-m ³
³ ³ ³ (10-14 Ft-Lb) ³
³ 7 ³ 3B204 ³ Mounting Plate ³
³ 8 ³ Ä ³ Mounting Brackets ³
³ ³ ³ (Part of 3393) ³
³ 9 ³ N804431 ³ Nut. Tighten to 197-264 N-m ³
³ ³ ³ (145-195 Ft-Lb) ³
³ 10 ³ 3393 ³ Front Suspension Upper Arm ³
³ 11 ³ N804618 ³ Bolt. Tighten to 47-64 N-m ³
³ ³ ³ (35-47 Ft-Lb) ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

3. Remove upper ball joint-to-knuckle bolt and nut. Disengage upper ball joint from knuckle.

4. Remove the bolt retainer plate screw. Remove plate.

5. Mark the position of the control arm mounting brackets on the flat plate.

6. Remove the bolt and washer retaining the front mounting bracket to the flat plate.

7. From beneath the rail, remove the three nuts from bolts retaining two front suspension upper arm mounting brackets to the body rail.

8. Remove the three long bolts retaining the mounting brackets to the body rail by rotating the front suspension upper arm out of position.

9. Remove the front suspension upper arm, mounting bracket assembly and flat plate from the vehicle.

10. If required, remove and replace the upper ball joint boot seal.

Note the exact position and number of shims on each control arm stud. These shims control caster and camber.

NOTE:
The pivot shaft and mounting brackets are serviced as an assembly. The front suspension upper arm and front suspension upper ball joint are serviced as an assembly.

11. To service front suspension upper arm and front suspension upper ball joint assembly or the mounting brackets and adjusting arm assembly, remove the nuts retaining the front suspension upper arm to the adjusting arm.

12. Remove the front suspension upper arm from the adjusting arm.

Ball Joint and Upper Arm Assembly

Old 12-06-2004, 06:54 AM
M.Herrington
Senior User
³ 1 ³ 3043 ³ Alignment Shims ³
³ 2 ³ 3C156 ³ Damper Assembly (RH) ³
³ ³ 3C157 ³ Damper Assembly (LH) ³
³ 3 ³ 3393 ³ Front Suspension Upper Arm ³
³ 4 ³ 3049 ³ Front Suspension Upper Ball Joint ³
³ 5 ³ Ä ³ Rear Mounting Bracket ³
³ ³ ³ (Part of 3393) ³
³ 6 ³ Ä ³ Front Mounting Bracket ³
³ ³ ³ (Part of 3393) ³

13. If required, remove the damper assembly from the front suspension upper arm by removing the three retaining bolts.

Installation

1. If removed, install the front suspension upper arm and ball joint in the pivot shaft.

2. Install the shims on the control arm studs with the same number of shims in the exact position as marked during removal.

3. Install and tighten the nuts retaining the upper arm and ball joint plus the shims to the front suspension upper arm.

4. If removed, install the boot seal on the upper and/or lower ball joint and lubricate ball joint.

5. If removed, install the damper assembly to front suspension upper arm. Tighten damper retaining bolts to 30-39 N-m (22-29 ft-lb).

6. Place the flat plate for the mounting brackets in position on the body rail. Install screw and tighten to 14-19 N-m (10-14 ft-lb).

7. Place the mounting brackets and front suspension upper arm assembly in position on the flat plate.

8. Install the three long bolts and washers retaining the mounting brackets to the body rail.

9. Rotate or rock the front suspension upper arm and mounting bracket until the bolt heads rest against the mounting bracket and the studs extend through the body rail.

NOTE:
Make sure the mounting brackets do not move from the marked positions on the flat plate. This minimizes corrections.

10. Move mounting brackets into position marked on flat plate during removal.

CAUTION:
The torque required for the mounting bracket-to-body rail nuts and bolts is critical. They must be tightened to the specified torque.

11. If present, place the bolt retainer plate in position on the mounting bracket and flat plate assembly. Install and tighten the screw to 14-19 N-m (10-14 ft-lb).

12. Install and tighten the nuts retaining the mounting bracket bolts to the body rail to 196-264 N-m (145-195 ft-lb).

13. Install and tighten the bolt retaining the front mounting bracket to the flat plate, 47-64 N-m (35-47 ft-lb).

14. Connect the front suspension upper ball joint to steering knuckle. Install the bolt and nut and tighten to 37-50 N-m (27-37 ft-lb).

15. Check and if required, adjust caster, camber and toe-in as described in «Section 04-00». Use service adjustment shims as required for caster and camber revisions.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:18 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
ok, I went and got a chilton manual. the parts shop haynes did not make one for 4-wd aerostars. hmmm. ok, so i got the chilton.

in the chilton, there is no mention on how to remove the front half-shafts. NONE!

the extent of their information on something complex like front axle removal is :

"jack up the vehicle and support it with jack stands, then remove the front axle and place it on a clean work surface."

yeah, HOW? jeeze um, theres too many details there, it sounds too complicated! NOT!
ummm, arent we missing about 5 steps in between here?

anyways i called my parents mechanic. he said that you just undo the lower ball joint, and the spindle/ hub plate or whatever its called is moved out of the way after you take off the big axle nut. then it slips out of the hub plate and only a clip holds the axle half shaft into the middle housing, axle, differential, whatever its called.

sound right? anyone?

Old 12-07-2004, 02:00 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I've never done the front drive train before, so I'm guessing based on what you've described. I think you're referring to a C-clip on the inside of the differential housing. If it's anything like the rear differential, there is a cross shaft going through the spider gears that has to be removed. Then the axle shafts can be pushed in, at which point you can remove the C clip, and pull the axle shafts out of the housing. Of course this means you have to first remove the cover plate on the housing.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 AM
koalamazed
Senior User
yeah. my mechanic must be confused. i found a few posts on here, and theres no clip exterior of the axle housing. the cv shaft is held on with several allen type hex-head bolts.
the real question comes down to do you have to take the lower ball joint loose? if so is the coil spring going to cause injury, ive heard people taking the upper ball joint loose, and people did it taking neither of the joints loose. some say you need a puller to get the shaft out of the hub, some say not.

i just like to know what im getting into before im at the shop without a tools and parts-runner car! if i get my van torn apart and then need some special tool, or help, im screwed!

Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 PM
savagefan
Senior User
My 2 cents, on the driver's side for sure you don't need to drop the a-arm. Remove the shock and the snubber and the axle pulls right through the hole that the hub sat in.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Car Guy
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Savage, this thread is nearly 7 years old......

Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
long time no see savage
how you and your Aero doing?

Quick Reply: how do I change a front axle? HELP!