How much Falcon is in the Econoline?

Old 12-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Ford Dog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much Falcon is in the Econoline?

Hello to everyone. This is my first post on this site, and I'm posting here because I have some questions about Falcons and Econolines. I would appreciate any help, as it would save a lot of research time and I am in need of some education.

I own a 1963 Falcon Futura with a newly rebuilt 170ci six and two speed automatic. Is this the EXACT same setup that is in the Econoline? I ask, because I was told once that some motors for trucks that are the "same" as the motors from cars are actually "stroked" differently. What are the differences, if any, and what else about the Falcon car is the same as on the Econoline? (Besides the hub caps, I mean...)

You see, I like this little Falcon, but if I did a total concours restoration on it, it still wouldn't be worth five grand. If I put the 170 in an Econline, at least I would have something I could haul some trash with.

I'd like a totally yellow Econline pickup. Thanks in advance if you can help me!

Old 12-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
actually not that much is falcon, motor, some switches and stuff is about it. most parts of an econoline are strictly econoline. trans, rearend, front axel, and about everything else are econo only.

now if you want something you can use parts on, hows about a ranchero? almost your whole car will fit a ranchero!

Old 12-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Ford Dog
New User
Thanks for the information!

I guess I'm caught up in the "kitsch" of the early Econolines. I owned a second generation Econoline "hippy van", and I have put literally millions of miles on third and fourth generation Econolines, and I am still doing so, as my business requires it. They are quite dependable!

You are right about the Ranchero. I have owned a '66 and a '67XL, and I wish I still had them both. What bugs me about the early Falcon Rancheros is that they are so spartan. There are a lot of chrome pieces on my Futura that don't really apply to the Ranchero. Anyway, I think I'll head to the classifieds to see if there are any for sale there.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread