Pitman Arm Removal & Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 09:46 PM
DRanchero
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitman Arm Removal & Control Arm Bushings

Hey everyone,
My first question, how do you take the nut off of the pitman arm? It looks like its a 1 1/4" nut, but that socket won't fit around it. However, my caliper said its 1.24, so what's wrong? And i do have the pitman arm puller to use once the nuts off.
Next question, the Performance Suspension front end kit for the Ranchero came with control arm bushings. I haven't taken the arms apart yet, but someone told me they have to be pressed on and to bring it into a shop. Do I have to do that or not? Sorry for all the questions guys, but when you're as young as me and never done suspension before you gotta learn somehow! Thanks everyone!
Danny

Old 11-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
the control arm bushings do need to be pressed in, just pull the arms off and run them by a machine shop.

is your socket deep enough to pass the pitmans shaft threads? is the nut clean, does it have stuff all over it? that will keep the socket from going on.
try using a wrench, big cresents usually work on those ok.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:19 AM
ranchero77
Senior User
the control arm bushings can be changed without a press but if you don't feel comfortable doing it take it to a shop.
if you do decide to tackle the job you can use an air hammer to knock out the old bushings. then take a small flapper wheel and smooth out the holes in the control arm. for the first bushing use a sturddy c-clamp and a piece of wood to press it in. easy parts over. now put the shaft through the opposite side into the new bushing . (if you want traction more than handling then grind off the teeth on the bushings to let the front end lift to transfer the weight to the rear when you tromp on the gas. if you go this route put some grease in where the shaft and bushing will meet) ok now that you made your choice put on the washer and start the nut a couple of turns. now slide on the other bushing and you will just be able to put the other washer and nut on. now cut a piece of hard wood or steel pipe to be placed between each side of the control arm to keep it from bending in. now tighten it up with and impact while lining the teeth up(if you keep em) so that the flats on the mounting shaft is paralell with the mounting surface of the ball joint. all done

Old 12-16-2004, 05:14 PM
DRanchero
Senior User
Thanks for your helpl, but i decided to take it into the shop. I didn't trust myself. I have them back, but the problem now is that I can't get the lower control arms into the mount. It seems as though the poly bushings are barely too long and i can't seem to get them in. I greased them up, but they only slide around more. Do you have any ideas on how to get those arms in? Thanks!

Old 12-21-2004, 01:05 PM
ranchero77
Senior User
I guess you probably got them in by now but if not you could use a block of wood cut the right width and a floor jack to get it to slide up to the hole where you can then use the pick side of a pry bar to line the holes up. mine went in tight but I just used a heavy deadblow without too much trouble.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:01 AM
DRanchero
Senior User
yep i got them in yesterday actually! I did what you said too. I had to cut them 1/16", and took the jack and used a flat stone from the garden instead of wood and i jacked it into place. Thanks for your help though!