1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

99 Ranger O/D Button and Backup light problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:19 AM
frkncrazy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 Ranger O/D Button and Backup light problem

I'm having a problem with my 99 Ranger's Pushbutton O/D button and backup lights. My backup lights do not function, and I cannot use the button on the steering column to take the truck out of O/D. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 11-28-2004, 11:04 AM
hreed
Posting Guru
I think it is a fuse. Pretty sure both systems are powered by the same fuse. Check that first.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:09 AM
frkncrazy
New User
I've checked all the fuses, and they appear to be okay. I don't have the owner's manual, but it appears to be fuse #26...I checked all the fuses anyway to be on the safe side, and still nothing. I'm at a total loss!

Old 11-28-2004, 12:01 PM
jecp
Senior User
Did you check the power distribution box? It is located under the hood on the drivers side. Sometimes fuses/relays are stuck in there, that control some of the options.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:09 PM
frkncrazy
New User
I did check the power distribution box as well...verified all the fuses were good, and tapped on the relays in case one was sticking.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
The backup lights are controlled by the DTR sensor on automatics. It does several things about controllong starting,shifting etc. There is a pink/black wire that comes out to power the bkup lights, it is all powered by a fuse #27 I think, if it was out I think you would have other problems. Check the connector on the transmission. The od light is turned on the by the PCM when it commands the transmission out of od after it receives a switch closure from the switch on the shift lever. Again the commands are routed via the DTR sensor and I would take a look at the connector on the transmission. hope this helps.
Dave

on edit: does it shift out of OD?

Last edited by Dave257; 11-28-2004 at 01:07 PM. Reason: ask question
Old 11-28-2004, 01:38 PM
frkncrazy
New User
The truck will not shift out of O/D, which this winter I plan to tow a snowmobile trailer. I checked the connectors into the transmission and cleaned them up. Also checked fuse #27...visibly it was not blown, but I replaced it anyway. Still no dice. I also just noticed that my brake indicator light is not working when the e-brake is down. The brake light will come on and test when the truck first starts, so I know the light is working.

Old 11-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
I don't see any connection with the brake light, it is controlled by a switch located by the Emg Brake pedal. I am starting to wonder if the Reverse lights and O/D light is connected, anyway it looks like you need a wiring diagram and meter to start tracking down what is going on.
Dave

Old 11-28-2004, 05:29 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
i had the same issue exactly, it was a fuse. Twenty somtehing, 15Amp I think

Old 11-29-2004, 01:17 PM
frkncrazy
New User
I've ruled out a fuse problem with the truck. Apparently, another issue that someone said the truck seems to be having is the torque converter isn't locking up. If the DTR sensor is faulty, would it exhibit this problem as well? The DTR sensor doesn't seem to expensive to replace, but apparently some alignment tool is necessary to install it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Old 11-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
Ken may have a pin point trouble shooting procedure for the DTR sensor. I have it in my shop manual, but it is long and I can't scan it to my computer.
Dave

Old 11-29-2004, 03:55 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
FWIW my 99 owners manual confirms Daves contention that the backup lights are fed by, inside fuse #27.

The Haynes manual also shows the backup lights on automatics being switched through the tranny neutral/park/start switch.

So go there & check for voltage to & through the backup light portion of this switch, when placed in Reverse.

If ok, move to the backup lamps & check the lamp filaments. If ok, check for power to the center contacts to ground, with the shifter in Reverse & the ignition on.

If not ok, then you have an open between the reverse switch & back up lamp socket, so check any electrical connectors along the way & for broken wires.

If ok, check the ground wire for continuity & quality of it's ground connection. You could even use a good jumper wire to ground, to check this out.

On the OD thing, make shure the OD switch isn't sticking closed or maybe weled contacts.

You could try spraying it with some WD-40 or plastic safe electrical contact cleaner, to see if you can wake it up, if you think it's mechanically stuck.

If the blue OD light stays on, even after the ignition switch is cycled off, the engine restarted & the torque converter is still locked up, you should have the engine lugging down & trying to stall, when you slow down or stop.

If this is happening, try pulling the fuse for that circuit, I think it will be fuse 26 & or 27, which ever one takes out the blue dash OD light & see if things straighten out.

If so, then try disconnecting the OD switch, replace the fuse & see if things are ok, if so, replace the OD switch.

If not then move on to the DTR module Dave referred to, or the pinpoint tests.

Keep us posted on your results.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave, are you refering to pinpoint test U?

Old 11-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
I don't know which year book you are looking at, but my 2002 is pinpoint test C. I don't see at pinpoint U, but it may be better.
Dave

Old 12-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this the one you were talking about Dave?

Diagnostics

PINPOINT TEST D: DIGITAL TRANSMISSION RANGE (TR) SENSOR

D1 VERIFY DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES

3 Carry out the on-board diagnostic test. DTC codes P0705 and P0708 cannot be set by an improperly adjusted digital TR sensor.

l Are only DTC codes P0705, P0708 present?

è Yes

Go to «D4».

è No

Go to «D2».

D2 VERIFY DIGITAL TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR ALIGNMENT

3 Check to make sure the digital TR sensor harness connector is fully seated, terminals are fully engaged in connector and in good condition before proceeding.

4 Apply the parking brake.

6 Disconnect the shift cable/linkage from the manual lever.

7 Verify that the TRS Alignment Tool fits in the appropriate slots. The TRS Alignment Tool is designed to fit snug.

l Is the digital TR sensor correctly adjusted?

è Yes

Go to «D3».

è No

ADJUST the digital TR sensor. PLACE transmission range selector lever into PARK and CLEAR DTCs. RERUN OBD Tests.Go to «D3».

D3 VERIFY SHIFT CABLE/LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT

1 Place the manual lever in the overdrive position.

3 Re-connect the shift cable/linkage.

4 Verify that the shift cable/linkage is correctly REFER to «Section 307-05».

l Is the shift cable/linkage correctly adjusted?

è Yes

Go to «D4».

è No

ADUST the shift cable/linkage. REFER to «Section 307-05». Go to «D4».

D4 CHECK ELECTRICAL SIGNAL OPERATION

2 Digital TR Sensor

CAUTION:
Do not pry on connector. This will damage the connector and result in a transmission concern.

Press the button and pull out on the digital TR harness connector.

3 Inspect both ends of the connector for damage or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires and missing or damaged seals.

l Is there damage to the connector, pins or harness?

è Yes

REPAIR as required. CLEAR DTCs and RERUN OBD Tests.

è No

If diagnosing a DTC, Go to «D5».

If diagnosing a starting concern, 4x4 low engagement concern, or a backup lamp concern,Go to «D10».

D5 CHECK ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OPERATION (DIGITAL TR AND PCM)

2 Scan Tool

3 Digital TR Sensor

5 TR PIDS TR, TR_D, TR_V

6 Move transmission range selector lever into each gear and stop.

7 Observe any of the following PIDs, TR, TR_D, and TR_V (vehicle dependent), while wiggling harness, tapping on sensor, and or driving the vehicle. Use PIDs TR, and TR_D for DTCs P0705, P1704, and P1705. Use PIDs TR, and TR_V for DTC P0708.

8 Compare the PIDs to the Digital Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Diagnosis Chart.

l Do the PIDs TR, TR_D and TR_V match the Digital Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Diagnosis Chart, and does the TR_D PID remain steady when the harness is wiggled, the sensor is tapped, or the vehicle driven?

è Yes

The problem is not in the digital TR sensor system. REFER to «Diagnosis by Symptom» in this section for further diagnosis.

è No

If TR_D changes when wiggling harness, tapping on the sensor, or driving the vehicle, the problem may be intermittent.

Go to «D6».

D6 CHECK DIGITAL TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR OPERATION

1 Digital TR Sensor Connector

2 TR-E Cable to Transmission Tester

Connect tester cable "E" to tester.

3 TR-E Cable to Digital TR Sensor

Connect cable "E" with BLACK marked "DIGITAL" to sensor.

4 Place the digital TR overlay onto transmission tester.

5 Carry out Sensor Test as instructed on the digital TR overlay.

l Does the status lamp on the tester TRS-E cable match the selected gear positions?

è Yes

Concern is not in the digital TR sensor. Go to «D5».

è No

INSTALL a new Digital TR Sensor and ADJUST. CLEAR DTCs and RERUN OBD Tests.

D7 CHECK PCM HARNESS CIRCUITS FOR OPENS

Note:
Refer to schematic diagram and illustration preceding the Pinpoint Tests.

2 Powertrain Control Module Connector

Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion or loose wires.

3 Digital TR Sensor Connector

CAUTION:
Do not pry connector. This will damage the connector and result in a transmission concern. Press button and pull out harness connector.

Disconnect the digital TR sensor connector.

4 Install the 104-Pin Breakout Box.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 91 at breakout box and signal return circuit pin at vehicle harness connector pin 2.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 3 at breakout box and TR1 circuit pin at vehicle harness connector pin 4.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 49 at breakout box and TR2 circuit pin at vehicle harness connector pin 5.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 50 at breakout box and TR4 circuit pin at vehicle harness connector pin 6.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 64 at breakout box and TR3A circuit pin at vehicle harness connector pin 3.

l Are all resistances less than 5 ohms?

è Yes

Go to «D6».

è No

REPAIR open circuit(s). RECONNECT all components. CLEAR DTCs. RERUN OBD Tests.

D8 CHECK PCM HARNESS CIRCUITS FOR SHORT TO GROUND OR POWER

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 91 and test pins 71/97 at breakout box.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 3 and test pins 71, 97, 24, 51, 76, 77, 103 and 91 at breakout box and ground.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 49 and test pins 71, 97, 24, 51, 76, 77, 103 and 91 at breakout box and ground.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 50 and test pins 71, 97, 24, 51, 76, 77, 103 and 91 at breakout box and ground.

Measure resistance between PCM test pin 64 and test pins 71, 97, 24, 51, 76, 77, 103 and 91 at breakout box and ground.

l Are all resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?

è Yes

Go to «D7».

è No

REPAIR short circuit(s). RECONNECT all components. CLEAR DTCs. RERUN OBD Tests.

D9 CHECK FOR SHORT BETWEEN TR/PCM INPUT SIGNAL CIRCUITS

Measure resistance between test pin 3 and pins 49, 50 and 64 at the breakout box.

Measure resistance between test pin 49 and pins 3, 50 and 64 at the breakout box.

Measure resistance between test pin 50 and pins 3, 49 and 64 at the breakout box.

Measure resistance between test pin 64 and pins 3, 49 and 50 at the breakout box.

l Are all resistances more than 10,000 ohms?

è Yes

INSTALL a new PCM. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR DTCs and RERUN OBD Tests.

è No

REPAIR shorts on circuits having less than 10,000 ohms between other TR/PCM input signal circuits. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR DTCs and RERUN OBD Tests.

D10 CHECK THE NON PCM INTERNAL CIRCUITS OF SENSOR

1 TR-E Cable to Transmission Tester

Connect tester cable "E" to tester.

2 TR-E Cable to Digital TR Sensor

Connect cable "E" with BLACK marked "DIGITAL" to sensor.

3 Place the digital TR overlay onto transmission tester.

4 Carry out Switch Test as instructed on the digital TR overlay.

l Does the status lamp on the tester indicate RED for the correct gear position?

è Yes

Concern is not in the digital TR sensor. For Start System concerns; REFER to «Section 303-06». For Backup Lamp concerns; REFER to «Section 417-01». For Optional Circuits: 4x4 Low Neutral Sense, REFER to the «Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual».

è No

INSTALL a new Digital TR Sensor and ADJUST. CLEAR DTCs and RERUN OBD Tests.

Quick Reply: 99 Ranger O/D Button and Backup light problem