International Region Australia

Hey BigF350......

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:25 AM
FORD352V8
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey BigF350......

Hey BigF350, what is Austrilia like? Is it pretty much just a desert?

Old 11-06-2004, 05:58 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, it depends where you are.
I live in 2 spots,
Tenant Creek - Not quite a desert, but close
Melbourne - No where near a desert
The east coast of Australia (especially the northern end) is quite lush, but still has great weather,
West of the Great Dividing range (Mountain range which runs down the east coast of Australia) it progessively gets dryer until you get to the west coast.

Australia is the dryest continent on the world, and has more desert than Africa, so yeah its pretty dry

As for other differences, things of note are:
* Great weather, even in the worst spots
* Not really much snow, at all - the ski resorts here are abysmal by any standard, and we only have a few spots that get snow
* High taxes, but this is ofset by good health care, and education systems (we don't have a user pays health care system, almost all of it is government funded)
* Very strict gun ownership laws
* Lifestyle, no other country I have been to places such an emphasis on social activies (especially sport and having a few beers )

Overall, I have travelled quite a bit of the world and I wouldn't live anywhere else.
I don't want to offend anyone here, these are merely my observations, please inform me of any of your experiences

There are many places in Europe that have fantastic culture, but you have to live in a shoebox, I want some space, and the people I have found aren't as open and welcoming, and everything is expensive.
I found Europe very intriguing, and a great place to visit, and learn about its history, and all its cultural events, but I couldn't live there.

US is fantastic for someone who wants to make a fortune, low taxes, good pay, and everything is pretty cheap, but I found everything is a little to cut-throat for my liking, a lot of emphasis is placed on being "successful" and you have to work till you are about 70, because there isn't a government funded pension, and if you are sick, well you have to fund all your own medical bills!!!
The US would be great for someone who wants to make there mark on the world, someone who is willing to work, and save hard in there early years, and then enjoy it in their later life. I want to enjoy life as I go along, and while I save money, I want to enjoy life while I am still (relatively) young

Asia (and South America for that matter) has a fantastic growth potential, as we are seeing. But at the moment they don't pay enough dollars.

Australia is a mix of all of the above, some of the good, and some of the bad, but overall it suites me the best...

Sorry for such a long post, but hope that answers your question.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:01 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it does thanks for the help.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:21 PM
dogman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to move down to Austrilia for the company I was working for to drive trucks (trains). But I could not get them off the money. Here in florida we only have one road we can pull up to 48 foot long trailers 2 at a time on. Nothing like down there, with 4 trailers at one time has to be a handfull. Passing has to be fun to.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, they are a bit of fun.
They can get up to 6-8 trailers in length...
If you overtake one in my car, starting at 70mph, with full throttle, you are doing about 180mph by the time you have passed the engine on a 8 trailer unit!!!