Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AmsOil any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:18 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
AmsOil any good?

ok, here's the deal, my buddy was at the Coastal Conservation Festival this past weekend, and he recieved (distrubutorship, commercial account....something) from an AmsOil distibutor and in short, he can get the stuff for a lot cheaper. now, is AmsOil any good? i've heard you can run for like 10K miles on a change, but i don't trust that. i do mine every 5K on the Delo 400. i've known about AmsOil for a long time, but never really heard about it....is it worth it?

'95 2x4 reg cab stick everyhting

Old 10-27-2004, 06:23 PM
LonghornOwner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Red,
I've used Amsoil now for about 2 years. Ever since I got my PSD. I'm really pleased with it. No lub problems at all. If you use an Amsoil filter you change the 1st filter at 12,500 miles and then the oil and filter again at 25,000 miles. Even with the increased cost of the oil you save a lot of money since you aren't changing the oil so much. 15 quarts is a lot to pay for every few thousand miles, not to mention the filter costs too. I put a special filter setup on my truck called a bipass filter and I change filters at the same interval and the oil only when the oil analysis says to. No change yet. It's at 20 thousand and counting! Truck has 130,000 miles on it so far.
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and I believe the Amsoil is worth the price!
Good Luck deciding!!!
Paul

Old 10-27-2004, 06:35 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have any experience with Amsoil in the engine, but I do use it in the tranny and transfer case, as well as both axles. It made a noticeable improvement in the tranny, and turned the rear end from limited grip to limited slip.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:44 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i had been thinking about startin to use it in my differential. been thinking about draining and flushing it anyways. i have a shop do work on my tranny (need to get it in under warrenty, got a scratch going into 3rd...) but anyways, i'll see if theres any more people who have used it by the time i get home tonight. thanks so far

Old 10-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mobil Delvac1 in the engine. Best oil out there, IMO.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:07 PM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pikachu
Mobil Delvac1 in the engine. Best oil out there, IMO.
yes, but make sure it is the 1200 super, not the 1100 or whatever it is. Our local mobile distributor changed it on us, and you could tell, about 150k miles later everything needed overhauled, as well as everyone else that thought it was 1200 super as well. Haven't used amsoil in forever, but heard bad things about early amsoil. Might be good now.

Old 10-28-2004, 06:09 AM
01f350
Senior User
I have been running Amsoil for almost a year now. I got 8,500 miles out of my first oil change and blackstone test came back perfect. I also saw an increase in mileage and the truck ran a lot better in the winter months. If your getting a deal on it I would try it.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:52 AM
loghomeman
Senior User
Thumbs up

I`ve had the amsoil dual by-pass system on my truck for 1 year and I use their best oil 5w30. I`ve noticed improvements in mpg, and thr truck starts easier. The second filter in the by-pass filters down to 1/10 th of a micron. I have the perferred status which allows me to buy at wholesale prices , which saves you alot of $ !!! I will never use any other type of synthetic product ever!! Amsoil is #1 in my book!!

Old 10-28-2004, 09:29 AM
DALPILOT
Junior User
I would suggest you read your owners manual. It says you must use an API rated oil. Does not matter which brand, but it must be API rated. Now, is the Amsoil synthetic diesel oil API rated? Now somebody is going to raise the Mangusson-Moss act. The act says you don't have to buy the manufacturer's oil. But you do have to buy oil that meets the manufacturer's specifications, and that means API rated if you want a warranty.

77hiboyboy. We're talking Delvac 1 sythetic, not the dino oils, 1200 and 1100.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:05 AM
TheHammer69
Junior User
Originally Posted by loghomeman
I`ve had the amsoil dual by-pass system on my truck for 1 year and I use their best oil 5w30. I`ve noticed improvements in mpg, and thr truck starts easier. The second filter in the by-pass filters down to 1/10 th of a micron. I have the perferred status which allows me to buy at wholesale prices , which saves you alot of $ !!! I will never use any other type of synthetic product ever!! Amsoil is #1 in my book!!
I wonder why Amsoil claims their 5w-30 diesel oil the best because EVERY Oil analysis result posted on-line that I personally have seen using this oil shows that Amsoil 5w-30 has shown elevated Iron wear levels. In fact, the 5w-30 seems to produce some of the highest iron wear numbers of ALL the brands of oil I have seen. On the other hand, Amsoil's less expensive 15w-40 oil has shown outstanding Iron wear levels. They must claim it's the best because it's 100% synthetic, too bad it doesn't seem to live up to it's claim.

Btw, I use Chevron Delo 400 currently, but am seriously considering switching to Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 because the absolute best oil analysis results I have ever seen on a PSD was using the Shell Synthetic. Funny thing is, Shell Rotella Synthetic isn't even a true synthetic, it's actually a groupIII hydrocracked petroleum based oil. The good thing is, it only sells for around $12/gal unlike the high dollar true synthetics which run $20-30/gal.

Hammer

Old 10-28-2004, 10:30 AM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DALPILOT

77hiboyboy. We're talking Delvac 1 sythetic, not the dino oils, 1200 and 1100.
I figured as much, but anyone still running dino should know.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:01 AM
mtncrawler
Senior User
Don't care what kind of oil it is. Using the same engine oil for 25 thousand miles is stupid. It's likely problems won't appear for awhile, maybe not until after you've sold the truck. Oil changes are cheap. Drain the old contaminated stuff out and get on regular routine maintenance intervals. It's not that I don't believe in synthetics, I use them in gear boxs & final drives & stuff. On a side note a buddy of mine developed a bad rear main oil leak on his 50K mile PSD within a month of switching to Amsoil. Coinsidence?

Old 10-28-2004, 12:58 PM
loghomeman
Senior User
Smile

Just checked amsoil`s web site and they say all their oil product are api rated. I researched alot about oils, organic and synthetic, I choise amsoil products becuase of the facts 90% and everyones experience 10%. The oil lubercates and protects , but to me the most important part is filtering the oil. The cleaner you keep it the better its going to do its job. I have another good example , I worked in the hvac trade for 16 years and was a self employed hvac contractor before I become disabled. Air filters are the most important part of any heating /cooling system, the better the filter the better the air quality and the cleaner you a/c coil and duct work stays. I`m sure their are product out there that are as good maybe even better than amsoil , for me I choose amsoil, I figure you get what you pay for and my truck is worth what I feel is the best!Thats one reason we all drive ford over all the other trucks isn`t it? , because we think they are the best! I`m not trying to make anyone mad here , we are all differant and we all choose differant . Thank God!

Old 10-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Deleted redundant post......

Last edited by Pikachu; 10-28-2004 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Post was redundant. Deleted.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mtncrawler
Don't care what kind of oil it is. Using the same engine oil for 25 thousand miles is stupid. It's likely problems won't appear for awhile, maybe not until after you've sold the truck. Oil changes are cheap. Drain the old contaminated stuff out and get on regular routine maintenance intervals. It's not that I don't believe in synthetics, I use them in gear boxs & final drives & stuff. On a side note a buddy of mine developed a bad rear main oil leak on his 50K mile PSD within a month of switching to Amsoil. Coinsidence?
Well, then I must be extra-way-nasty-wicked-ultra stupid for going 100,000 on Delvac1 in my last tractor. As long as the oil analysis is good, there is absolutely no reason to drain the oil. The analysis shows that the "old contaminated stuff" IS NOT contaminated, therefore why would anyone waste money changing perfectly good oil? Even the analysis on my last change in my PSD at 9,000 was just fine and the only reason I drained was to switch to synthetic.

Quick Reply: AmsOil any good?