Chapter input, thoughts, ideas, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chapter input, thoughts, ideas, etc.

Everyone

Please forgive me if I am starting to sound like some sort of self appointed leader here. My intentions are purely to try and help us get organized until a leader is elected.

While we are waiting for more Leader and logo entries, I have a few thoughts, questions, etc..............

Though FTE has set guidelines for picking chapter leaders & chapter logos, there seems to be some leadway for us to do things our way.

When we elect our chapter leader, should there be a term? If so, What should it be?
Just my opinion, I think a term would be good. It would give everyone an opportunity such as later arrivals, members who didn't have the time then - but do now, etc. It would also give us an opportunity to "change the guard" if it's not working out (although I don't think we'll ever experience that problem with this great group).

We don't seem to be under "extreme" pressure to pick our chapter leader or logo, so what should our time frame be for posting the polls? Personally, I think we need a little more time to get some more entries.
Should we set a date, or just play it by ear?

Lets hear some more thoughts, opinions, ideas on this and other stuff.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:57 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm all for a term, say, something like a year. This way if others want to step up to the plate, they are welcomed to do so. At the same time, we don't have one yet so maybe we shouldn't be in a rush to have a term just yet. I could go either way, actually.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with a one year term.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:29 PM
DVLSH1
Tuned
I say yes for a one year term, I think that is a good idea. Also think that we should have 2 or 3 photographers for the chapter, as I am one, but I know there will be times that I wont be able to make it to an event and would be nice to have a backup or two to do that.
Also a web page for our chapter also.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:54 PM
msurie
Senior User
So far I say every body is in agreement with a one year term, although Right now I think we should have a time frame for all candidate submissions and a vote, what would you say to our next meeting or at least sixty days from our first meeting. If i'm off base here please let me know.

Old 10-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
I just finshed putting together a list of all the FTE users that have posted in the NJ forum or to the original request for the forum in the Mid-Atlantic chapter and we have 31 NJ members so far.

After doing this I thought it might be a good idea to have a mailing list for the chapter to keep everyone updated on events, meetings, elections, etc. I'm willing to gather the information if you guys/girls like the idea. To maintain the privacy of your email addy I will only share the list with the chapter leader and the other FTE moderator from NJ, Kenny, unless we all agree to someone else.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master

1 year sounds great.

My thought was that in a year's time, the current leader would be welcome to run for it again, or if nobody else steps up, they just automatically serve another term?

Frederic,
It may seem like putting the cart before the horse (talk of terms before we have elected a leader), but my line of thinking was that it might be easier to have all this in place and spelled out before someone is actually put in there. This way there shouldn't be any surprises. It seems especially true if we are the only chapter on the site to have a term for our chapter leader.

DVLSH1,
I think back up photographers are a great idea! I like the idea of a chaper site as well.

msurie,
60 days sounds good to me. If FTE admins turns up the heat, we could always shorten it?

Ken00,
I like the idea very much. Thanks for all your time and effort!

Old 10-24-2004, 10:21 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Kenny, Like I said, i'm fine either way. Term, no term, automatic re-election if no one else steps up, whatever. Its all good.

I'm just happy we have a chapter, and have good people in it. To me, everything else is icing on the cake.

Okay, back to fiberglassing. BTW, fiberglass takes forever to cure in 40 degree weather. I'm only on layer 3 of 8. I gave up 'glassing in the garage, as with mask/respirator or not, I couldn't breath. The good news is dollar day was a lot of fun, and will be quite profitable

And here's an interesting compatibility thing... If you have a 92-96 F-series truck, get yourself a 96ish town car steering column with tilt and cruise. Move all signal stalk and various other parts over, swap out the last borg joint before the firewall, and you have yourself a nice steering column. Though, I do have to remove the airbag from the new column. I do not like airbags.

Last edited by frederic; 10-24-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:33 PM
1970f2504x4
Posting Guru
The one year term sounds good to me. I would think it would always be good to have some kind of election to elect the leader and any officers we might have. There is probably no need to limit how many times you can be "in charge". I've belonged to organizations where people just get re-elected every year. We had one guy who was treasurer for 20+ years! I Imagine the leader position might change the most as it's probably one of the more demanding position - but we'll see.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:23 PM
VinMan
Senior User
A one yr term would be good, give other guys (or girls) a chance.
Plus it's good to have a way to oust a bad leader, rather than have a hostile overthrow.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:47 PM
jhayden
Freshman User
One year sounds good to me for a chapter leader term.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Bigham
Senior User
In my opinion someone should draft a constitution and bylaws that this chapter should abide by. In these documents it will lay out the guidelines for holding elections, membership meetings, executive meetings, terms of elected officials and all that good stuff.

Also in my opinon one year is not enough time to get used to any elected position normally three years is a good term. with a one year term all you do is invite a new person who has no clue how to handle his position. It's like the guy you work with that has been there for 30 years and only has one year experience and never learned anything more. Plus you can always have in the bylaws a provision for removing an elected official.

Eddie

Old 11-07-2004, 07:35 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Suddenly, this sounds like work ;-)