Compressed Natural Gas: A viable alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:18 PM
calazo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Compressed Natural Gas: A viable alternative?

Gas prices are skyrocketting here in Colombia and they are expected to soar even further down the road. Being a Bronco owner, I am particularly affected. Natural gas is thus becoming a new fuel option. Yet, I've heard that, in addition to the conversion, which is quite expensive, there is a power loss, engines wear more rapidly and tuning up is a pain, not to mention the space taken up by the cylinder tanks. When switching to natural gas, fuel savings are expected to be around 50%. A conversion for a truck like mine costs around $2.000. Is this worth it?, what you all think...? thanks.

PS: I've seen a few pickup trucks which don't really suffer the loss of cargo space, yet....

Old 10-20-2004, 05:49 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with natural or propane is they are still fossil fuels, and still subject to the same price fluctuation, and limited resource capability and infrastructure availability. It would only be a temporary bandaid fix.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:31 PM
TheFrog
Senior User
Is it worth it?
No

Old 10-20-2004, 10:33 PM
TheFrog
Senior User
Build a still and run on ethanol, little conversin an a good excuse to own a still.
Though you might get funny looks from the neighbors.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:25 AM
reguy
Junior User
Thumbs down Cng = No

A few years back, we had 3 CNG powered E-350's used as accident investigation vans. A good portion of the time, they ran fine, but every now and then they had loss of power when accelerating from a complete stop. Felt like you were pulling a 20,000 pound trailer with its brakes on!

They also spent a LOT of time in the shop for various engine repairs. Not a good choice for emergency vehicles. Perhaps someday in the future they will make vehicles that work better with CNG.

reguy

Old 10-22-2004, 03:57 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the conservatiuon district i work for is now getting all of its new vehicles as cng vehicles. mostly f250's and f350's so far they seem to work good, nat gas burns cleaner and is WAY WAY cheaper

Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 PM
calazo
Senior User
Smile Natural Gas...

Thanks!, that is very interesting information. Haven't made up my mind yet but I'm still looking into it. I've heard about some F-350s and especially Broncos being converted here. I'll continue my research for now.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:54 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Calzo....where is here...

This is very interesting information, I am looking forward to this forum picking up pace

Old 10-23-2004, 08:33 PM
calazo
Senior User
Smile Here is Colombia...

I meant Colombia, well, I'm better known at FTE in other topics like engine swaps, late Broncos, etc... Speaking of Colombia, The local government is promoting the conversion of vehicles to compressed natural gas while some research is under way to mass-produce sugar cane ethanol as another clean fuel alternative. Both gasoline and diesel fuel have been affected by the gradual withdrawal of subsidies by the government and of course the ever rising price of the WTI oil barrel in the international market.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:58 AM
WOLFD
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by fellro86
The problem with natural or propane is they are still fossil fuels, and still subject to the same price fluctuation, and limited resource capability and infrastructure availability. It would only be a temporary bandaid fix.
It really depends where you are. Here in British Columbia propane & natural gas are only about 2/3 the price of gasoline. I have had an 87 F150 300 cu in. on propane for 4 years and it runs like a champ. Oil is still like new after 3000 miles and its cleaner on the environment. I highly recommend for anyone who does 20,000 miles a year or more.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:01 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know other vehicles run on propane, and have the same reports. If the claims of ioil being a limited resource, natural gas and propane are also limited, that is what I meant. If we can find a way to produce either artificailly and with enough volume, it would be a great fuel. It does burn cleaner, I dont know about emissions if it burns cleaner that way, but I would expect it should.

Old 11-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Teedo47
Freshman User
You can collect natural gas from rotting debris, like trash and sewage if you store it right. journeytoforever has info on anaerobic digesters. not practical for most of us, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:33 AM
428_cobra_man
Junior User
Bi-fue; van, CNG problem

Hi, I just purchased a 1990 aerostar today, it is a bi-fuel (or duel fuel, whatever is correct) it runs on gasoline and Natural Gas with a switch on the dashboard to switch from either one, The guy i bought it from told me that the CNG was only working at high RPM on the highway and what not, and that otherwise the engine would just stall out if you turned it on. (fuel cylinders full) i switched it over and it just stalled out and would only run 1 second and shut off every time i started it again. Could it be that the Mixer is gone? or a vacuum hose or something?... there is also a tap on the filler unit that i have to turn to "OPEN" when i fill it... does this tap have to be open when i want to run it on CNG? If anybody knows i would appreciate any help, as i am not familliar with alternative fuel systems.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:38 PM
frty7ford
Elder User
When i was stationed in ridgecrest Califorina the Navy converted a lot of the vehicles we were using to CNG I never noticed a difference. we went through the CNG faster than gas. I worked with ordnance and we used our vehicles to pull heavy weapons trailers. the converted vehicles worked great. only porblem is that they all had to run both fules or stay in town. no one had cng out in town

Old 12-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 428_cobra_man
Hi, I just purchased a 1990 aerostar today, it is a bi-fuel (or duel fuel, whatever is correct) it runs on gasoline and Natural Gas with a switch on the dashboard to switch from either one, The guy i bought it from told me that the CNG was only working at high RPM on the highway and what not, and that otherwise the engine would just stall out if you turned it on. (fuel cylinders full) i switched it over and it just stalled out and would only run 1 second and shut off every time i started it again. Could it be that the Mixer is gone? or a vacuum hose or something?... there is also a tap on the filler unit that i have to turn to "OPEN" when i fill it... does this tap have to be open when i want to run it on CNG? If anybody knows i would appreciate any help, as i am not familliar with alternative fuel systems.
Do you have a picture of this 'Tap' ? There should be some type of quick disconnect to hook a filler nozzel to that prevents gas from coming out, not a hand valve. If you don't have a pic try cracking the valve open a little and listen for a hiss to see and smell if any is escaping. From the few systems I have worked with the valves should be open, also check for a 1/4 turn valve in the line, make sure it is open if you have one.

Quick Reply: Compressed Natural Gas: A viable alternative?