Life After The Oil Crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Technonut
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Life After The Oil Crash

It is nice to see a forum discussing alternative fuels. To become more motivated in investigating using alternative fuels, I suggest reading some info at this site:

LifeAfterTheOilCrash.net

This person's book is currently offered via download free of charge :HERE

Really some eye-opening stuff here folks... It really makes me want to look into alternative fuels more closely...

Old 10-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
This is the first sentence in the link.

Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon. This is not the wacky proclamation of a doomsday cult, apocalypse bible prophecy sect, or conspiracy theory society.
That's EXACTLY what it is.

Why would the author start out like that if they didn't think it was at least a little out there?

Kind of like saying "No offense" right before you insult someone.

It's meant to be inflammatory, and after reading the first page or so, the author doesn't seem to want to let the facts get in the way of his message.

If you're truly interested in understanding the oil industry, from it's conception to the present and beyond, find and read the book The Prize by Daniel Yurgin. It is THE authority on the subject, and while it is factual and very detailed (~800 pages) it is also very entertaining and some of the histoyr will surprise you.

Waxy

Old 10-31-2004, 10:06 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here's an iteresting counter site worth perusing as well. Not something much heard about, and it is a possibility.
http://joevialls.altermedia.info/wec...a/peakoil.html

Old 10-31-2004, 04:16 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Waxy
This is the first sentence in the link.

That's EXACTLY what it is.

Why would the author start out like that if they didn't think it was at least a little out there?

Kind of like saying "No offense" right before you insult someone.

It's meant to be inflammatory, and after reading the first page or so, the author doesn't seem to want to let the facts get in the way of his message.

If you're truly interested in understanding the oil industry, from it's conception to the present and beyond, find and read the book The Prize by Daniel Yurgin. It is THE authority on the subject, and while it is factual and very detailed (~800 pages) it is also very entertaining and some of the histoyr will surprise you.

Waxy
Waxy...where ya been? Haven't seen you post in awhile?

Scott

Old 11-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Teedo47
Freshman User
There is no way that petroleum can be pumped out of hard rock, i.e. granite and basalt. They have no porosity meaning there is no pore space for fluids to flow through. That guy was just a quack. And saying that oil isn't derived from ancient deposits of algae is like saying wood doesn't come from trees. I just got my geology degree, so I figure that makes me more credible than a conspiracy theorist who asks for donations on his website.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:43 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
they both have their credibility problems, and both are asking for donations, and both are claiming conspiracy...

Old 11-29-2004, 11:15 PM
fordCourier
New User
Wink Market Forces

I don't really care about "History", or conspiracy theories.

I care about Facts, because facts are the only thing we have that can give us clues to "the future".

If you think Matt Savinar is a quack, look past some of his attempts at humor and do some fact-checking yourself.

To his credit the book is thoroughly foot-noted. He just illustrates the work of economists, analysts, journalists, statisticians and scientists, sources he cites in the text. (If you downloaded it the last week in October.)

His argument, basically, is that, when you take together all possible perspectives of the problem (Scarcity of oil), you're allowed to make predictions about the future without anyone thinking you're being totally absurd.

Its called "Reason".

I have no problem with anyone working out scenarios and thinking about the future.

In fact I agree with him, the situation looks pretty bleak. I think we're in for a bad ....decade. Eventually, we'll have secured enough oil in the last remaining economically viable areas of the Earth, the Frozen Arctic wastes. Antarctica. Or at least some part of us will. Because if you think the Oil Crash is going to be like the Great Depression, you're in for a shock... its more like the Stone Age.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Check out my intro post at

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=312738

...I'm checking out past posts for anyone running propane on a 2.3L

1979 ford Courier (same as Mazda B-series until '85)
http://home.comcast.net/~Mercurial76/Courier/Bed: 8 ft.
Fuel Tank: 50 Gal.
Engine: Ford 2.3L 4cyl (2300cc)
Fuel System: Impco, SafeControls
5-Speed manual

Old 11-30-2004, 07:01 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
I question it being like the stone age, as we got through the pioneer times with out oil, so wht couldn't we exist on that level? Or medieval times, as brutal as they were, still had some forms of technology, so we would go past that as well? Even with all out nuclear war, there would be someone with technical knowledge that could keep from that far of a backslide.The only way that could happen is to have nothing more than children left to carry on.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:36 PM
fordCourier
New User
"Even with all out nuclear war, there would be someone with technical knowledge that could keep from that far of a backslide."

No, acutally, its really unlikely that any surviving amount of technical knowledge after an all-out nuclear war will keep it from backsliding, at least for some amount of time.

Its like telling Bill Gates that now he has to subsistence farm, or die. Everyone dying everywhere, the destruction, the chaos. How is someone in a radiation-wracked landscape of utter death and destruction going to fall back on technical knowledge to improve his situation? He adapts.

How you work out a scenario is all up to you, you can say, a limited exchange or incidental blast, or all-out nuclear war. Whats the worst case of a worst case of a worst case scenario?

Nuclear weapons are insanity.

The talking heads only mention an incidental "terrorist" blasts as the worst case scenario. Even a limited exchange is too much to consider. An all-out nuclear war is just the cold foreboding of a half century since we invented the weapon and created it, and manufactured thousands of them. They are now all over the world. The talking heads don't talk about it because its the monster right in front of your face. Its too horrible to imagine.

Humanity was never held by a thread like this in all of history.

Maybe the Stone Ages are too generous a comparison, after all, did they need to worry about radiation, or about scarity of food, or, lack of technical knowledge on how to procure these things directly from the natural environment?

The (few) remaining humans of planet Earth will have to start over from scratch. Scratching at the ground with rakes, attempting to till a charred and burnt Earth with a few barren seeds, their bellies hungry underneath a cold, grey quilt of eternal winter.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:52 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Man, all I can say to you guys--to quote the late, great Hoyt Axton--"you gotta quit takin' them downers".

Old 12-01-2004, 07:33 PM
fordCourier
New User
lol.

Hoyt Axton eh? Never heard of 'em.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:00 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordCourier
lol.

Hoyt Axton eh? Never heard of 'em.
Songwriter/singer/sometimes actor. Among his many accomplishments:

Wrote "Joy to the World" (you know, "Jerimiah was a bullfrog") that Three Dog Night recorded.

Wrote "The No No Song" that Ringo Starr recorded.

Played the father in the movie "Gremlins" if you ever saw it.

His mom (Mae Axton) co-wrote "Heatrbreak Hotel" that Elvis recorded.

Ringing any bells?

Old 01-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Demian
Senior User
Throughout everything I've been reading in this thread, and the other sites, I"ve been thinking about "Thundarr The Barbarian" cartoon from the eighties. Always thought it would be cool, now I may have a chance.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:16 PM
furball69
Postmaster
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...+hydrate&meta=

Pretty interesting, that methane hydrate stuff. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to harvest it, or some of it, efficiently, enough.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Teedo47
There is no way that petroleum can be pumped out of hard rock, i.e. granite and basalt. They have no porosity meaning there is no pore space for fluids to flow through. That guy was just a quack. And saying that oil isn't derived from ancient deposits of algae is like saying wood doesn't come from trees. I just got my geology degree, so I figure that makes me more credible than a conspiracy theorist who asks for donations on his website.
I have always wondered how all those quintillion barrels of oil ended up five miles down underneath solid rock. The way that the biosphere works today is that everything lives and dies and thier dead bodies feed mushrooms and bacteria, etc. Nothing on the surface ever makes it's way down to the oil well level of the earth to replenish the supply. I simply cannot believe that there was a giant heaping pile of unfermented organice matter that was laying around to get swallowed up by a techtonic shift and then get converted to oil. It's easier, and more plausible in my uneducated thinking, that crude oil is simply coming up out of the center of the earth somehow and we have a whole lot more supply than we realize.

Quick Reply: Life After The Oil Crash