Mixing SVO With Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 01:07 PM
01stroker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mixing SVO With Diesel

Fordnut or anyone with experience running SVO, how would mixing a small amount of VO in a tank of diesel do? Someone in another post asked the same question. It would be nice to put 5 gallons or so in with a tank to offset the cost of a fillup. What kind of problems if any would be brought about by doing this?

Old 10-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Mykro
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01stroker
Fordnut or anyone with experience running SVO, how would mixing a small amount of VO in a tank of diesel do? Someone in another post asked the same question. It would be nice to put 5 gallons or so in with a tank to offset the cost of a fillup. What kind of problems if any would be brought about by doing this?
I've done it on couple of occasions.. I mixed in 5 gals of SVO and filled up my tank with diesel.. Ran great! If I had an ample supply of SVO I'd mix it in when I filled up each time..

Old 10-03-2004, 09:07 PM
01stroker
Senior User
Mykro, how did you filter it before you put it in?

Old 10-04-2004, 01:40 AM
tobetaxfree
Junior User
Just curious, what the heck is SVO?

Old 10-04-2004, 01:44 AM
tobetaxfree
Junior User
Never mind I figured it out. SVO straight vegetable oil. BTW it's 3am here at "work".

Old 10-04-2004, 08:19 AM
fordnut74
Senior User
01Stroker, As long as it is prefiltered, you could safely run up to 50/50 with no problem. Even down to about 35 air temp. Before I went with the duel tank heated setup I have now, I was simply mixing WVO in higher and higher ratios, pushing the limits of what I could do without having to do all the rest of the stuff. During the summer I was actually running off of 100% WVO, or SVO, in the factory tank. Problem was it would gel up the factory fuel filter after a few hundered miles. Mix in some diesel, and I was good to go. I have started up on SVO at as low as 30*, though not easily. 40 is about the reasonable limit to start on unheated SVO. But again, at 50%, with well filtered stuff, won't be a problem. Keep in mind however, you will still face replacing the fuel filter at increased intervals. On the bright side though, one tank of 50/50, and you have already paid for that filter . I will expalin the viscosity part and how it affects our motors in the other VEG OIL thread a little later.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:08 PM
01stroker
Senior User
Thanks mykro and Fordnut74 for the replies! Fordnut, what kind of filter system would be adequate for what I'm wanting to do? Did you just make your own?

Thanks