installing some after market parts on my '97 ranger

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 02:09 AM
OlDirtyJohn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing some after market parts on my '97 ranger

Hi all,

First off id like to complement everyone here on making this such a wonderfull information outlet. ive just recently joined here and have been getting lots of very helpfull info, and i think im almost ready to start on my first Ranger project!! to get started, i have a 1997 2.3L 4cyl 5spd manual transmission ranger, has the flare side and a snug top too !!! What im wanting to do is add some extra power and performance to it. i was thinking along the lines of starting out with intake, exhaust, and a chip... possibly some aftermarket headers or doing something with the throttle body if i can find some street legal ones that will pass smog. ive been looking around some for the parts i need, but i am still looking for any and all suggestions and advice. so far ive found this intake:
http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/p...cat=161&page=1

and this chip:
http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/p...cat=274&page=1

now i am new to all this, and i dont know if these parts are as good as they say they are. so any advise or input on these would be great. also i am still looking for an exhaust system, and am a little lost on that. what i want is something that will give me some HP gain, and still be reliable and street legal. a kick *** sound would be nice, but i prefer performance over the sound .

once again, thanks for having this great site, and i am looking foward to hearing any feedback or help at all!!

thanks,
John Blalock

Old 09-27-2004, 02:51 AM
OlDirtyJohn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update: i just came across this intake system and i think i might be sold on it.
http://www.partsandaccessories.com/s...2535&submit=Go

Old 09-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!!!
My 97 2.3 has a factory header on it & I believe yours should too. If memory serves, the only aftermarket headers available may not be smog legal?
Check Motorhaven for exhaust systems. Click on the highlighted word "exhaust" & it'll take you there. I recently looked at Borla's site & they didn't list a system for my Ranger.
AL.