Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump problems? 1996 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:37 PM
epdc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel pump problems? 1996 f-150

Guys, I need help.
I have a 1996 F-150 XLT, with a bit more than 210,000 miles on it.
I recently swapped out the rear-end and thought I wouldn't be fix'n on it for a while. That hope was short lived. Last about a week ago I am cruising on about half a tank on my rear tank (front tank didn't work when I bought it), I am on the freeway and exit because I see traffic ahead and as I am coasting of the freeway my motor dies. I shift to neutral as to crank the truck up again and nothing (motor just spinning no fire). So then I completely stop turn the key to the off position and then on again and she cranks up but rough, after a few seconds the motor smoothes out and I am on my merry way.
Well I make it about seven blocks down the road and the motor dies again in the middle of the street. So I get under the hood and check all my cables and connects every thing is snug and seems how it ought to be. I push the truck to the side of the street and make some calls to get a tow. After about 15 minutes, and after checking Fuel Pump fuse and relay under hood, I try to crank the truck up again and it starts so I get it off of the main street. As soon as I make the corner the truck dies.
Note - during all the checking and attempts to crank up the truck I am also listening for the fuel pump whine and can't here it (maybe due to traffic). Well I get my dad to pull my truck to a place about 20 minutes away. While he is pulling my truck I attempt to crank it and it still won't start. We get it to the house and I try to turn the engine over while listening for the fuel pump whine. Normally when turning the key to the on position one can here a whine noise coming from the fuel tank, as I do this I can hear no indication that the pump is spinning.
So I thought it was the pump, well I come back to the house two days later to drop the tank and replace the pump. Just for kicks I decide to turn the truck on, and it crank up. So I get out and listen and I can here the pump whining. Then it sputters out, so I try again it takes a sec I can here the pump and it cranks but dies again. So I decide to change the relay. I change the fuel pump relay and I crank it up hear the pump and I let it run for at least 25 minutes. I drive around the block a few times and think its fixed, so I turn the truck off go inside to get ready to go and hop in the truck 15 minutes later and same old story starts again. Turn the key to the on position and get no pump noise, and no crank. 4 days later (TODAY) I hop in the truck and it cranks right up. I want to leave but I don't want to be stuck on the road again.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

By the way I changed the fuel filter less than three months ago (less than 3000 miles).<o></o>

Any Ideas
EPDC

Old 09-23-2004, 06:02 PM
bigredbeast
New User
what you started to do is the only fix for youre problem. change the pump. what you have is a pump that gets hot becuase the bearings in the pump are wore and make the pump hot and it shuts down. changing the pump is the only solution. i know this only because i have had the same problem a couple of times it comes from youre truck to low of gas cause the only way the pump has to cool is the gas in the tank, if you run it under a quarter tank all the time it will give you this problem. to keep this from happening to youre new pump keep at least a half of a tank in it most of the time.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Robf250
Freshman User
I had a similar problem with my truck, real pain. It would stay running once i got it started but getting it started was a war. Finally just changed the high pressure fuel pump on a guess and it's been fine since. I'd say check the connection between the pump itself and the plastic connector that goes into the harness. Also check the inertia switch, you could try bypassing that. I don't know how the ignition switch works, but with that many miles it might be worn out, causing it to ground the circuit to the pump/ignition at random times.
Rob

Old 09-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
My Bronco II used to do the same thing till I changed the low pressure pump in the tank (89 old style system). Do the pump and might as well do the front also as this was probably the original problem there to.

Old 09-26-2004, 03:38 PM
epdc
New User
Smile Thanks Guys

I checked it all out today, and low and behold it was the electric lines.
Zip Ties & Black Tape

L. S.
EPDC