Problems cancelling a Ford ESP Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 03:07 PM
rcsting
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems cancelling a Ford ESP Warranty

Has anyone had any experience cancelling a Ford extended warranty? I just purchased a new F-150 on 09-05. I bought the ESP premium care warranty but decided to cancel it 3 days later. I called the dealer and talked to a finance guy that really seemed unhappy to cancel it but said that he would. I have called my salesman 3 times and cannot get any verification that they are going to cancel the warranty. I called Ford Credit and Ford customer care and was told that the only way the warranty can be cancelled is through the dealer Today I have called the Finance director of the dealership and my salesman again and got voice mail from both with no return calls. This is driving me crazy, they were jumping through hoops to sell me the truck but wont return calls now. I would drive to the dealer but its 1 1/2 hours away but it seems like a visit might be needed. Any suggestions on how to help the dealer get moving on this?

Old 09-17-2004, 04:01 PM
R_Rider
Junior User
Originally Posted by rcsting
Has anyone had any experience cancelling a Ford extended warranty? I just purchased a new F-150 on 09-05. I bought the ESP premium care warranty but decided to cancel it 3 days later. I called the dealer and talked to a finance guy that really seemed unhappy to cancel it but said that he would. I have called my salesman 3 times and cannot get any verification that they are going to cancel the warranty. I called Ford Credit and Ford customer care and was told that the only way the warranty can be cancelled is through the dealer Today I have called the Finance director of the dealership and my salesman again and got voice mail from both with no return calls. This is driving me crazy, they were jumping through hoops to sell me the truck but wont return calls now. I would drive to the dealer but its 1 1/2 hours away but it seems like a visit might be needed. Any suggestions on how to help the dealer get moving on this?
Registered letter stating just what you stated above.

That will do it. $5.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:02 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send them a registered letter with return receipt TODAY informing them of your intention to cancel the warranty. They're upset and/ or avoiding your calls on this because they probably made a nice commission selling you the warranty, and now the salesman and finance guy are about to watch their paycheck dwindle. Tell them in your letter that you expect to receive the cancellation paperwork from them within 3 business days, and that you expect a FULL refund of the price, including sales tax. There should be no cancelation fee in CA as long as you cancel it within 60 days of purchase, and no repair claims have been filed with Ford. Carbon-copy the letter to:

Ford Motor Service Company
Extended Service Plan Headquarters
P. O. Box 6045
Dearborn, MI 48121

Old 09-17-2004, 07:40 PM
rcsting
Freshman User
Thanks for the quick replies!!! When I send the letter to the dealer is there any person or department that I should make it attention to? Since I started this thread earlier today I called the dealer again and specifically asked for the finance guy that originally completed my contract. The receptionist said that he was busy and he would return my call. I guess it's no surprise he has not returned my call. Registered demand letter here I come Wait until I receive my customer satisfaction survey from the sale

Last edited by rcsting; 09-17-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:01 PM
rcsting
Freshman User
Jeff

I sent the dealership a registered letter requesting my cancellation paperwork within 3 business days and they signed for it 3 days ago, still no response and no cancellation paperwork has arrived in my mail. I also sent the same letter to Ford's Extended Service Division via Priority mail and havent heard from them yet. Where to go from here?? The Dealership is Big Valley Ford in Stockton California, 95212. So far I have had no success with my fleet salesman Doug Subke, the Finance Manager Ken Murphy and even left a voice mail with the dealerships Finance Director Rob Rowen. Is there anyone at Ford Corporate that I can call about this? My Uncle retired from Ford after 30 years and we have been a Ford family for a very long time and it's no fun getting dumped on by a dealership.

Thanks
rcsting

Last edited by rcsting; 09-23-2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:25 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
That sucks, but give it a few more days. How did you pay for the warranty? Can you file a complaint with your credit card bank? Or is it part of a loan on the vehicle?

Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 PM
rcsting
Freshman User
The ESP went on my sales contract financed through Ford Motor Credit. I had already called Ford Motor Credit and they told me that the selling dealer is the only one that can cancel the ESP contract.

Thanks
rcsting

Old 09-23-2004, 09:40 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rcsting
The ESP went on my sales contract financed through Ford Motor Credit. I had already called Ford Motor Credit and they told me that the selling dealer is the only one that can cancel the ESP contract.

Thanks
rcsting
That may be, but check your Ford Credit contract for a "holder in due course" clause. Big, bold type on the front or back that starts out: NOTICE: ANY HOLDER OF THIS CONSUMER CREDIT CONTRACT IS SUBJECT TO ALL CLAIMS WHICH THE DEBTOR COULD ASSERT AGAINST THE SELLER, etc..., or words to that effect. That clause gives you the right to withhold payments from Ford Credit until this issue is resolved. All you SHOULD need to do is to call Ford Credit and tell them you want to invoke your holder-in-due-course clause rights. That should get some action. Banks just HATE it when you know about stuff like this; they'll get on the dealer's back PDQ.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:47 PM
rcsting
Freshman User
Great!
I have the contract and it has that clause in it. I'll give it a few days and then I'll contact Ford Credit and invoke that clause. Thanks Jeff and I'll post when and how this gets resolved.

rcsting

Old 09-24-2004, 07:22 AM
KansasCity1
New User
Have you actually gone into the dealership? Forget calling etc. Cancelling is really quite easy, just take a copy of the extended service contract with you. Be firm and not that screaming kind of guy and you should get results. Then ask to talk to the general manager. Let him know of your disappointment. Keep us posted.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:08 AM
rcsting
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KansasCity1
Have you actually gone into the dealership? Forget calling etc. Cancelling is really quite easy, just take a copy of the extended service contract with you. Be firm and not that screaming kind of guy and you should get results. Then ask to talk to the general manager. Let him know of your disappointment. Keep us posted.
I havent been back to the dealership since the sale because its 1 1/2 hours away and the salesman had already promised that they would mail me the cancellation paperwork but that never happened.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:47 PM
graysailor
Freshman User
Bummer, I would also like to cancel my ESP. Mostly my fault for putting up with it but this has been the worst buying experience for me ever. Old fashion dealership just out to gouge the customer and I fell for it. Overly anxious to get the truck so I stopped thinking once the process got started. Bad me.