Advice Needed - 65 Pickup restore worth it? (pics)

Old 09-09-2004, 11:01 PM
jjuritsch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed - 65 Pickup restore worth it? (pics)

Need advice from the Econoline fans. I have access to a '65 PU 5 window. Can get it for free. The drivetrain looks to be in decent shape but the body has considerable rust and dings/dents, etc. I don't consider myself a pro body guy, but have done some repairs and own a small mig welder. Can I get replacement sheet metal for this thing? It it worth it? Check out the pictures from the link....all comments Welcome.
Jim
Richmond, VA

Pictures here....
http://www.jroc.net/bighands/econoline/default.htm

Old 09-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
hey jim, looks pretty good to me. some of the sheetmetal can be bought, but not much. problem areas to look for are bedfloor, rear body around tailgate, tailgate itself, front wheel wells and floor boards, and the "frame" itself.

send me the serial no. and info from the data plate and i will get it deciphered for you. that looks like a spring special pickup, only made them for a couple months.

i would also like all the pertinent info on the truck if you can get it, stuff like interior color, steering wheel color, horn ring or horn button, padded dash and glovebox door, 3 spd, 4 spd or automatic.

would also like to know how wide the trim on the side is.

i would appreciate all the info you could get me.

thanks, jim

Old 09-10-2004, 07:45 AM
rodbender
Junior User
I'd say go for it. Bumpers seem pretty straight( good indication as to previous driving) All the chrome is there. No evident butchering. ...and get the trailer in the background too!LOL

Old 09-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
he should see some of the ones i have seen guys fix! way beyond that one.

jim

Old 09-10-2004, 10:05 AM
rodbender
Junior User
I can relate brother. You ought to see this 70 Ranchero I'm doing now. Must have been a rare Swiss export it's got the holes.I tried for two years to blow this guy off. He still brought it to me, unfortunately after some conehead botched the rear quater panel replacement.Sheeeezzz!

Old 09-10-2004, 10:39 AM
jjuritsch
New User
The VIN is E10TH686156. I have done some work on the decoding, and have pasted it below. Not sure of the accuracy though. Any additional info would be appreciated very much. Also on the link above has a picture of the VIN plate for additional info.

E10 = Econoline Pickup
T = 170 Engine
H = Lorain plant
WB = 090 (wheelbase)
Color = 3
Model = E100
Body = D87 (pickup)
Trans = A (3 speed)
Axle = 033
Max GVW = 3600 (1/2 ton)
Cert Net HP = 85 (certified net horsepower)
RPM = 3800
DSO = 21

The truck is in SC and I'm in VA, so I can answer some of your questions from memory on my last visit. (It's sitting on my wife's family's farm). The bedfloor had some holes. The rear around the tailgate looked decent, but the tailgate wouldn't open, and it looked weak around the hinges. Looking underneath..it was surprisingly clean. It was driven to where it sits so the drivetrain should be ok. It's a stickshift, not sure about 3 or 4 spd, but according to the VIN, probably 3 spd.
If I decide to take it, I'd like to do a rolling restoration. I've never driven one, but it looks like fun. And it's small enough that it would fit into one bay of my 2 car garage nicely. It sure sounds like I am talking myself into it! I just want a project car.
Jim

Old 09-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
when you do get to drive it you will be scared spittless! takes a while to get used to pulling in parking lot spaces, pulling up behind cars at stop lights, anything that gets you close to the action! just remember, if there is an accident, you will be the first on the scene! they are tons of fun and get tons of looks.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Jevtar
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my humble opinion,but I would go for it !

Old 10-05-2004, 11:01 PM
josmo
New User
if you have time and space ,go get it!

Old 10-26-2004, 09:46 PM
t_dickie
Laughing Gas
I would do it if I were you. In total we have three trucks at home. One fixed up and 2 that could be restored (2 Mercurys I think, but maybe 3), but they would take a lot of work. I believe that truck has the small 6 in it like you said. The radiator looks small and it is a 7.5" rear end. I think anything with the 240 had a 9" and a larger radiator. Just for my input, this is the first truck I've seen with a rear bumper, all that we have at home don't have one.

Trevor

P.S. If anyone has a good Mercury tailgate let me know and check out my dad's 65 Mercury at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/556263/2

Last edited by t_dickie; 10-26-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:36 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Man if I had one in that condition.

If I had one in that condition being given to me I snap it up.
It is better than the 3 I have that I'm attempting to restore.
You can get metal for mostly around the box areas, but not for the front cab area. Most of the rubber for the windows and doors can be got from Dennis Carpenter econoline truck parts. They are in the Carolinas. Or Macs truck parts.
They even supply new floor covers.
I see the roof liner is in the truck. Is it intact and that is a plus for restoreing. Most of these are torn out or damaged from people hitting stuff on them.
The truck looks like it was red at one time from the scuffed off paint of the interior.
For a radio, I found the best radio mount is an old Ford Maverick radio. They mount under the dash. This way a person does not have to cut holes into the dash to install a radio. I done this to one of my trucks and people actually believe it to be factory installed.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Benevolance
New User
I am in SC and need parts

If you are not going to haul that truck to virginia I would be more than willing to pay a small fee to haul it off the property.

I have a 62 I just bought and I need parts and pieces. I am in greer SC I can travel to get it anywhere in the state.

Anything_baseball@yahoo.ca

Please let me know.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:49 PM
jjuritsch
New User
I already picked it up and am in the process of restoring it.
Jim

Old 01-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Benevolance
New User
Good for you

Great to see that you are working on it...Even though I need to find another one.

I am looking to find a good body...I am working on three parts trucks. And I located another one in Georgia tonight. A friend of mine contacted me and is getting pics for me.

So if I had another decent body I would have more than enough parts to gear up a couple...I would love to have a 5 window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck...If you decide to sell let me know.

-Benevolance