Camshaft position sensor (OBD-II code P0340)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Fomhoire
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft position sensor (OBD-II code P0340)

Engine light came on, pulled OBD-II code P0340. I cleared the code and it was okay for a day. The check engine light just came back on. Both times it was off when I turned the engine off and on when I restarted. The engine appears to be running fine.

Unfortunately the 1995 4.0L Rangers and B4000's have the integram camshaft position sensor, os I would like to make sure something else isn't causing the problem before I end up spending $330 for a new cam position sensor?

1995 Ranger, 4.0L

Old 09-25-2004, 02:30 AM
Fomhoire
Senior User
Anyone?

I did some tests that involved some steps in checking voltage and resistance between the sensor and the PCM. Everything checks out OK. I can see the signal from the sensor at the PCM, but the light keeps coming back on.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:05 AM
wycowboy79
Senior User
I work for Autozone and the company provides us with a handy little booklet to help us diagnose OBDII codes. Heres what it says for a P0340 code. The most likely cause for that code is the cam position sensor is defective. The 2nd is the connector and/or the wiring to the sensor, you've already checked for that and it was good though. The least likely cause is an engine mechanical problem-the timing chain. My advice is to pull the sensor off the engine, run it downto your local Autozone, if you have one, and get it tested. I think you're gonna be spending the $300+ bucks for a new sensor though.

Chris

Old 09-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
$330 for a CMP? Wow! I dont think there is any way it should cost that much unless you are buying the whole synchronizer assembly. The synchronizer is the piece that looks like an old distributor. The CMP has 2 screws that attach it to the synchronizer. If you remove the snychronizer you'll need a special tool to install it correctly. You should be able to replace just the CMP without removing the synchronizer.

Old 09-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Fomhoire
Senior User
Originally Posted by Racerguy
$330 for a CMP? Wow! I dont think there is any way it should cost that much unless you are buying the whole synchronizer assembly. You should be able to replace just the CMP without removing the synchronizer.
There is an integral type that has the sensor and synchronizer assembly molded together. Parts American has it for $245, but that is still a large chunk of change for something that basically the equivalent of a modern distributor.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Ok that's one I haven't seen before.
I guess maybe I've never worked on that style before or I just didn't pay enough attention.
I learned something new today

Old 10-07-2004, 07:58 PM
CamshaftSensor
New User
Does anyone have pictures showing where the camshaft sensor is located. I have a 93 Ford Ranger 4.0.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CamshaftSensor
Does anyone have pictures showing where the camshaft sensor is located. I have a 93 Ford Ranger 4.0.
Welcome to FTE!

The camshaft position sensor/synchronizer on the 4.0L is located on the top center of the engine, back toward the fire wall, hidden pretty good by the upper intake.

If you go to page 6 of this PDF file you will see a picture of my 4.0L with the upper and lower intakes removed. In the pic, the camshaft postion sensor/synchronizer assembly has "RTV" written over it (upper portion of pic).

http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/Ra...eplacement.pdf[/

Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 PM
CamshaftSensor
New User
Thanks a lot Rockledge, tomorow its gunna be time to fix this prob. Hopfuly this gets rid of my check engine light.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CamshaftSensor
Thanks a lot Rockledge, tomorow its gunna be time to fix this prob. Hopfuly this gets rid of my check engine light.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Fomhoire
Senior User
Fortunately, you have the inexpensive CMP sensor.

I still haven't fixed mine because I'm unable to verify that it is the CMP and not something else causing the problem. The light has went off and back on several times.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
This link was posted by another member in another forum, it has a nice diagram showing the location of the CMP sensor/synchronizer assembly on the 3.0L, with instructions on how to replace it on the 5.0L (using the positioning tool), all of which should apply to the 4.0L:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl025h.htm

Old 10-13-2004, 02:01 PM
derbyit857
New User
Hey Rockledge..

Thanks for your help on another topic I started related to this sensor before I start (which led me to this forum posting).

1994 B4000
-----------
Anyone ever get around to replacing one of these on the 4.0? I've so far had to pull the intake plenum off which wasn't a big deal just to see the sensor at the back of the motor. However, I still cannot get a screwdriver on the screws on the top of the sensor (to seperate it from the sychro) as the rear of the lower intake is in the way. It almost appears the lower intake has to be removed also (which means pulling the valve covers). Does that sound right to anyone else? Mazda told me it's a 2 1/2 hr job to have them do it and they kinda led me to believe that you would just pull the plenum off and that's it to get to it.. They also mentioned the special tool you need to do the synchro. I even took the hood off the truck to help see the sensor. It's a real bear to change by the looks of it.. I'd prefer to just change the sensor if I can rather than pull the syrcho out too. I know there are 3 different types of these sensors with one being an all in one deal. I'm getting the CID failure check engine code so that's why I'm into changing the sensor..

I am so hoping someone here has tried this repair and can help guide me here.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by derbyit857; 10-13-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Fishwhisperer
New User
I'm trying to change my camshaft positioning sensor on my 1995 Ford Ranger 4L 4x4. I believe it is in the back of the motor by the firewall but I can't see it. Do I have to take off the plenum to get to it? Or how much of the motor do I have to take apart? I have the part already and it just has the 2 screw on top. If I change this do I need to do any other adjustments? My error code for the service engine comes up with PO340. Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally Posted by Racerguy
$330 for a CMP? Wow! I dont think there is any way it should cost that much unless you are buying the whole synchronizer assembly. The synchronizer is the piece that looks like an old distributor. The CMP has 2 screws that attach it to the synchronizer. If you remove the snychronizer you'll need a special tool to install it correctly. You should be able to replace just the CMP without removing the synchronizer.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Welcome to the forum Fishwhisperer

The CMP won't be easy to see on your engine but it is where you think it is. You may need a light and a mirror to see it or just go by feel. Go in from the passenger's side of the engine.
You shouldn't have to remove anything to access it.
No adjustments are necessary when you replace it.

Quick Reply: Camshaft position sensor (OBD-II code P0340)