Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Are Diesels Easier To Tune For Power??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 10:48 AM
cds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Are Diesels Easier To Tune For Power??

I have never owned a diesel truck ,(but I still have dreams) I was wondering why it is diesels seem to have far greater response to power tuners or programmers than gas motors. If you do add much power to gas motors you have to go to premium gas, which nowdays is an arm and a leg. I really enjoy surfing this site, I learn alot. My wife does not appreciate how much I learn though, because it usually costs money!!! Thanks, Dan

Old 08-15-2004, 01:13 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Yes in general it's easier to get more of an increase out of a diesel. The major reason is that diesels run w/ excess oxygen
9very lean compared to gas motors), therefore all you need to do is add more fuel, and bam, more power. ussually "chips"-"programmers" do alittle more than this (injector timing, boost levels). Another reason is that you get a bigger boost from exhaust because of the turbo, reducing backpressure can allow the turbo to spool up faster and easier. You don't need premium fuel in a diesel because of A: the way/when the fuel is injected/ignited. and B: the inherently different properties of diesel. Theres quite a bit more to it than just this ,but these are the basics of your question.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:09 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
HECK YEA! For the $600 - $1200 you can spend on a chip and gauges you'd prolly have to add a whipple blower to a comparable gas motor.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:29 PM
cds
Senior User
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I never thought of the fuel/air/turbo idea. I guess that is how the Big 3 keep bumping up the numbers to have the biggest and best diesel.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:26 PM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
"I have heard from many people including Powerstroke fanatics that the Cummins responds alot better to modifications and at the same time is considerably cheaper. One Powerstroke owner shared his belief on the "easier and cheaper" so much so that he said it just wasn't as fun as modifying a PSD. I believe he worked at a truck modification shop and he said he knew this from experience."

This is something I said on the PSD vs. Cummins thread and nobody disputed it. But I believe the whole diesel setup and the way it works is superior to gas motors especially for towing and modifying.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
You can get big power from any of these diesels for cheap. The 12v cummins was king of the cheap but the dmax can get a long ways with just a chip and a reprogram.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:04 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My opinin had to do with the vehicles beinng non- naturally aspirated. It is much easier to get more power of any engine that is boosted.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is the Ford verses the Competition forum section.