Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Key Fob programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 12:57 AM
Xplorgee
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Fob programming

Hey all, im new to this web site. I had just purchased a 99 Explorer. How do I program a new key fob to the computer and also how do I figure out what kinda motor it has. SOCK OR OHV(i spelled SOCH like that on purpouse). Thanks

Old 08-08-2001, 10:13 AM
96explorereddieb
Senior User
Key Fob programming

If you're talking about the remote entry, here's the procedure:

1.) Gather all your remotes, b/c you're programming a brand new code to the remotes

2.) Make sure all doors and liftgate/window are completely shut

3.) Place your key into the ignition then cycle it from "off" to "on" 8 times, ending on the "On" position, if this is done correctly, the doors locks should lock then unlock.

4.) After the "lock confirmation," press any button on the remote. Once you did that, the door locks should lock, then unlock. Continue this with the rest of the remotes.

5.) Turn the ignition off and try the remotes out. If one of them doesn't work, repeat steps 1-4.

Remember that you can only program up to 4 remotes. I hope this helps.

Billy
'96 Explorer Eddie Bauer
4.10 LSD
PIAA 9007 Superwhites
K&N Drop In filter

Old 08-08-2001, 10:17 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Key Fob programming

On my '97 you turn the key from off to on 5 times leaving it on after the 5th turn. I have also read that after '98 it takes 8 times. Regardless of what number it is when you have done it the correct number of times, your power locks will cycle down and then up. After that happens, you have to press a button on each remote that you want to program and then turn the key off. Each remote that you press a button on, will cause your locks to cycle verifying that it accepted the remote. You have to do all of your remotes at the same time since any remotes not done at the same time will loose their previous programming.

You can tell which engine you have by the top of the engine. If it is the SOHC it will have a black plastic engine cover with "SOHC" molded on it. If the engine cover has been removed then you can also look at the 8th digit on your VIN. If it is an "E" then it is the SOHC, if it is an "X" then it is the OHV. If it is something eles then it is the V8.

Robert

Old 08-09-2001, 03:57 PM
Smellyn
New User
Key Fob programming

Thanks all!
Just happenend to be browsing around the site. Had a key fob for the last 11 months sitting in the glove box, now it works.
96 Exploder

Old 08-09-2001, 10:43 PM
BrianV
New User
Key Fob programming

Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 AM
azsixshooter
New User
Finally!

Wow, I feel like a freakin' moron! The key fob for my 06 Explorer died and I replaced the battery. I checked the owner's manual for reprogramming it and it seemed like a straight-forward process. I inserted the key, turned it to the on position then turned it back and forth 8 times. I misunderstood the directions to mean you only turn the key a total of 8 times ending with it in the on position. So I did this:
(starting at "on") off on off on off on off on
The locks never activated so I thought I was doing something wrong. I read and re-read the instructions and couldn't figure it out. The only thing I saw that remotely looked like something that could be affecting the procedure was where the instructions said to "be sure the vehicle is electronically unlocked" before starting. I thought that maybe my truck was somehow electronically locked even though the doors could lock and unlock just fine. I guess I thought maybe it had something to do with the theft prevention system or something like that. I set the auto-unlock feature and drove the truck around and everything trying to get the truck "electronically unlocked". Nothing seemed to work, I couldn't get the truck to enter programming mode and indicate that by triggering the locks.

After finding this post and reading through it something finally clicked in my head and I thought to try counting 8 "off-on" sets rather than counting each turn of the key. It worked and I now have a working fob! What a relief, life has really sucked the last few months not having a key fob. I love my explorer, but why in God's name Ford only installed one damn mechanical lock on this truck is absolutely beyond me. Anyway, just in case anyone else runs into the same problem I did, here's the procedure as it worked for me:

get in the truck, close the door
press unlock on the door lock rocker switch
insert key
turn key off and on 8 times ending with it in the on position like this:
off-on off-on off-on off-on off-on off-on off-on off-on
do that quickly, within 10 seconds
the doors should lock and unlock indicating the vehicle is in "programming mode" and emitting the programming signal
press any key on the fob you are programming
turn key off and test the fob.
joy!

I feel like a complete ******* for not thinking of this earlier, but I'm so happy the fob is working now! My friend's dad is the manager at a Ford Customer Service center and I was planning to take it down there and have one of his guys check it out thinking that something was wrong with the truck. I'm glad I didn't do that, he'd be busting my ***** till the end of my days.

At least I found this cool Ford truck forum. I'll look forward to enjoying the community here!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
bwiener
New User
fob

would that procedure work on 2008 mountaineer i hooked up remote start and that works fine but door lock/unlock does not can this work on remote start fob

Last edited by bwiener; 01-26-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
No, the remote start fobs will be a different code and probably a different frequency from the OEM remotes, assuming you went with an aftermarket remote start system. Did you install it or did you have it installed?

-Rod

Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
bwiener
New User
remote fob

i did install everything works but door lock/unlock 3 wire negative locks does anyone know if the system shuts down power to the 12 volt at rest wires after 1 minute or so ---- if so how do i solve this

Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
It depends on which wire you use for the supply. The power lock feature of the remote start system should not require a separate power wire if the locks are 3-wire negative. Does the remote start function continue to work even when the power locks do not? The 20A supply fuse to the Smart Junction Box (SJB) is hot at all times, and this is the supply for the lock/unlock relay so the relay has power at all times. You should be able to tap in to the Gray/Yellow (lock) and Violet/Gray (unlock) wires at the SJB with the Green and Blue wires from your remote start system. When the Gray/Yellow wire receives a Ground signal it will lock the doors and when the Violet/Gray wire receives ground it will unlock the doors.

-Rod

Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
bwiener
New User
no seperate power wire by system i meant vehicle someone posted that from 06 up the vehicle has slam lock which stops 12 v to the g/y and v/g which makes the remote signal - not bump this power supposedly stops after 1 min when locking or unlocking by key or factory remote my green is hooked to g/y blue to v/g lights up dash panel does not lock/unlock the g/y and v/g were twisted wires in kick panel

Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
I wouldn't expect the power lock wires to be twisted wires. I wonder if you tapped in to something else....

Do the locks ever work from the remote start system, such as even within 1 minute of shutting the key off? If you use a test light with the clip lead connected to ground, touching the tip of the test light to the lock or unlock wires should cause the lock motors to attempt to function. Maybe you should try pulling the lock switch from one of the doors and try the test light there.

-Rod

Old 01-28-2011, 04:24 AM
bwiener
New User
fob

thanks for info ill go to the switch tomorrow and test / run continuity from wire at switch to kick panel wire to verify correct wire / also will test for slam lock / i have procedure to shut off / its a key on/off seq proc and turn on is reverse

Old 04-05-2011, 07:22 PM
mleksmom
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by azsixshooter
Wow, I feel like a freakin' moron! The key fob for my 06 Explorer died and I replaced the battery. I checked the owner's manual for reprogramming it and it seemed like a straight-forward process. I inserted the key, turned it to the on position then turned it back and forth 8 times. I misunderstood the directions to mean you only turn the key a total of 8 times ending with it in the on position. So I did this:
(starting at "on") off on off on off on off on
The locks never activated so I thought I was doing something wrong. I read and re-read the instructions and couldn't figure it out. The only thing I saw that remotely looked like something that could be affecting the procedure was where the instructions said to "be sure the vehicle is electronically unlocked" before starting. I thought that maybe my truck was somehow electronically locked even though the doors could lock and unlock just fine. I guess I thought maybe it had something to do with the theft prevention system or something like that. I set the auto-unlock feature and drove the truck around and everything trying to get the truck "electronically unlocked". Nothing seemed to work, I couldn't get the truck to enter programming mode and indicate that by triggering the locks.

After finding this post and reading through it something finally clicked in my head and I thought to try counting 8 "off-on" sets rather than counting each turn of the key. It worked and I now have a working fob! What a relief, life has really sucked the last few months not having a key fob. I love my explorer, but why in God's name Ford only installed one damn mechanical lock on this truck is absolutely beyond me. Anyway, just in case anyone else runs into the same problem I did, here's the procedure as it worked for me:

get in the truck, close the door
press unlock on the door lock rocker switch
insert key
turn key off and on 8 times ending with it in the on position like this:
off-on off-on off-on off-on off-on off-on off-on off-on
do that quickly, within 10 seconds
the doors should lock and unlock indicating the vehicle is in "programming mode" and emitting the programming signal
press any key on the fob you are programming
turn key off and test the fob.
joy!

I feel like a complete ******* for not thinking of this earlier, but I'm so happy the fob is working now! My friend's dad is the manager at a Ford Customer Service center and I was planning to take it down there and have one of his guys check it out thinking that something was wrong with the truck. I'm glad I didn't do that, he'd be busting my ***** till the end of my days.

At least I found this cool Ford truck forum. I'll look forward to enjoying the community here!

All I have to say is THANK YOU!! I love this forum and I am so thankful for all the help!! I spent the better half of the day searching the internet for programming help after calling the dealership to find out that the fob I bought (For $40) was going to cost another $90 to be programmed!!
We purchased our 2008 Expedition EL only a few weeks ago thanks to another thread that helped us with load leveling suspension and towing questions, and then ANOTHER thread that helped us find the original window sticker for the FORD we were looking at - I LOVE You People!!! Anytime I can learn something AND not spend money is a good day!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
bwiener
New User
great forum. good to see you aboard

Quick Reply: Key Fob programming