Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

1991 Ford Explorer 5-speed Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 11:37 PM
smoritz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1991 Ford Explorer 5-speed Manual Transmission

The 5-speed manual transmission on my 1991 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4x4 needs to be replaced. According to the mechanics there is a seal between the transfer case and the transmission that has blown which allowed the oil to drain out of the transmission into the transfer case. The transmission had minimal oil in it (which caused major damage) and the transfer case was overfilled. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Is this possible? Or are the mechanics trying to cover up some error on their part? It has been in for servicing three times due to transmission leaks, the last time on Oct. 22nd. Any advise would be appreciated!

Old 01-05-2002, 12:46 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Shelley , It is not possible and this why . You have the transmission , the adapter & then the transfer case . All the adapter does is provide a housing for the longer output shaft of the trans , A 4WD vehicle has a longer output shaft in order to connect with the transfer case . The output shaft of the trans has a seal & it can leak . If it leaks there is a small drain hole in the adapter that lets the leaking fluid out so you notice it has a leak & can repair it . There is no physical way on earth that the trans fluid leaked out of your trans & filled the transfer case , it would have had to leak horizontally & defy gravity . Plus the transfer case couldnt hold all the fluid in the trans , the trans holds almost 5 qts , the transfer case holds 3 or 4 qts when its full . You would of had a seroius mess of trans fluid if the transfer case was that full . What I suspect has happened is the drain hole in the adapter was clogged , the output shaft on the trans leaked , all the fluid ended up in the adapter . The mechanic you spoke to should have pointed out to you that there is a difference between the transfer case & the adapter .

Old 01-06-2002, 09:49 PM
smoritz
New User

Paul, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question. I'm trying to understand what could have gone wrong, and why my transmission was out of oil because I have been so diligent about keeping this vehicle serviced. The last time it was in for servicing on Oct. 22 was to repair a minor transmision leak. I have a hunch it came out of the shop that day with little or no transmission fluid left in it, because after that day it made a whining sound that I had not heard before as I shifted through the gears. I made a mental note at the time that the next time I took it into the shop I would let them know that something is not sounding as it should. Unfortunately, waiting was a big mistake on my part. I should have taken it back right away. But how do you explain a "funny sound" to a mechanic. Since I posted my first message I have been dealing with the shop owner as I feel they have some responsibility to help with the cost of the repair. He has offered to replace the transmission with a rebuilt and will only charge me his cost as he reluctantly admits his mechanics could have been at fault. One more question. Is there a site on the web where I could go to see a cross-section of the transmission and transfer case? This would help me to understand what you explained in your note. My owners manual does not go into this sort of detail. Thanks again for all your help. Shelley

Old 01-06-2002, 11:08 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

Shelley , If you had a trans leaked repaired then any mechanic should of had sense enough to put 2 and 2 together ...After the leak was repaired he should have at least checked the fluid level in the trans & added enough to bring the level up to the required amount . Any time you have a noise in a vehicle , If you explain when , where & what the noise sounds like , Often times a good mechanic can ID it or at least ask you enough specifics about the noise to help find it & the cause .

Old 01-07-2002, 08:51 PM
smoritz
New User

Paul, it's me again with a few more questions.
Your first e-mail mentioned that this manual transmission would hold almost 5 quarts and the transfer case holds 3 - 4 quarts of oil. Would this be pints rather than quarts? Because my owner's manual states the refill capacity of a 5-speed manual transmission is 5.6 pints, and a 4-wheel drive transfer case is 2.5 pints.
Does the output shaft run through the adapter and into a spline sleeve in the transfer case? Or how are they connected?

Old 01-08-2002, 12:44 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

Shelley , I based the fluid capacities from memory . I have the same trans & transfer case in my truck . Both the trans & transfer case cant be overfilled because any excess fluid will run out of the fill holes . Yes , The way you described the output shaft connecting to the transfer case is absolutely correct . If you go to this site then someone there can help you with an image or diagram to help you better understand how things are designed ...http://www.batauto.com/cgi-bin/Forum/db_TalkToMeV2.cgi?forum_name=domestics&pid=

Old 01-08-2002, 11:25 PM
smoritz
New User

Paul, thanks once again for responding to my questions. I'll check out that website that you suggested. The garage has lent me a 2001 F150 V8 pick-up (automatic transmission, 2-wheel drive) as a courtesy vehicle while my transmission is being repaired. I must admit the new vehicles are nice! They have shipped my transmission out to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to be prepared. I'm in Whitehorse, Yukon. The Yukon borders Alaska. Anyways, I will have the courtesy vehicle for awhile because I estimate it will be 2-3 weeks before my transmission is even back in town. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Old 01-09-2002, 01:22 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

No Problem , I grew up in Canada , In Ns . Enjoy the coutesy truck , Its good that they provided you with it until yours is repaired . Lordy , The Yukon , I like warm weather , Im not sure Id like winter there for too long . Let us know if you need more help .

Old 01-11-2002, 11:15 AM
hoppy
Senior User

Hi Paul,

Just a question out of the blue. Have you ever heard or know of what has to be done to change an automatic explorer 4x4 to a standard 5 speed? All of my vehicles before have been standard and thought when i bought my 92 explorer 3 years ago that i would go for an automatic because of laziness I guess! I know you have to install the clutch pedal and wiring and such, but i am not sure if the computer in the truck has to be swapped with a computer out of a truck with a standard tranny.

Anyway, just for the note, i am from Fort Erie, Ontario, just south of Niagara Falls.

Thanks alot and good luck with your tranny Shelly.

Tom

Old 01-11-2002, 02:10 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

Tom , A lot of work . Im sure it can be done with all the right parts , Id have to compare both to see what is needed . Im not sure how the Ecu would react to not having a auto trans . My advise , keep the auto , I have a M5OD in my truck , no problems with it , But Im over shifting gears & my left pops & snaps everytime I shove that clutch pedal .

Old 01-11-2002, 08:58 PM
CNTHOR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post