exhaust upgrade for 2.3, 92 ranger

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 07:30 AM
fordnutcase
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust upgrade for 2.3, 92 ranger

Okay guys... first just joined the group... lots of helpful ideas here and like the way the site is set up! NICE!!!

Now on to the (probably stupid). I looked through the forums and couldn't find anything related to aftermarket exhausts for my itty-bitty truck.

I recognize I'm not going to get a race car here... gheesh my ZTR has almost the same amount of H.P., but I'm hoping to get just a little extra horsepower out of a aftermarket exhaust system.

Truck has been gone through (engine wise) tune-up, several new sensors and I'm getting almost 32 m.p.g on the highway with the a/c off.

Just like a little throatier sound (probably be like a bunch of upset bumblebees).

seen the threads on flowmaster, borla, magnaflow... yada, yada, yada.... but my exhaust (stock) is just under 2".....

How big should I go....and would an aftermarket Turbo Muffler do the same thing as the above mentioned (expensive) systems. Please nobody say "go with a glasspack".

Opinions would be appreciated.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE!
You'll notice in your, or any post, there are words highlighted in blue. Click on them & it will take you to MotorHaven, one of the FTE sponsors.
Does your 92 have a header on it? My 97 Ranger, and other years, came stock with a header.
If you don't want to spend big bucks on an aftermarket muffler, look into OE turbo mufflers. My 63 Fairlane, 352 auto, has 2 Dodge 2.2 turbo mufflers on it.
You could look into cold air systems & intakes too.
AL.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:58 PM
fordnutcase
New User
Thanks Al,

I went ahead and purchased a new turbo muffler (actually kind of quiet) and new tail pipe assembly (only $106.00 bucks!).

As for the cold air induction.... done that. ran a vent hose to the opening just behind the right headlight assembly.

Bought the darn little truck for $150.00 (yup, that's right).... but that's where the can of $$$$$ got opened up.

1). new radiator;
2). Brakes and shocks;
3). Power steering pump;
4). Timing belt;
5). Tires;
6). Don't ask about the a/c.... gheesh almost $600.00 there with me
doing the work!;
7). new lights for the headlights;
8). plugs; wires; waterpump; fan clutch; and
8). the list just goes on.

But the dang little thing pulls my 16ft. aluminum boat just fine! and without a/c and empty, I honestly get 32mpg!!!!on the cheap gas.

Now your saying the 97 2.3 factory header may be a bolt in? (back to the junk yard I go! WOO HOO!!!

Old 07-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Great!
Keep it up & you'll have to paint your truck!
AL.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:02 AM
fordnutcase
New User
alas Al.... painting is not an option

Darn little truck went through a hail storm that made it look like a bunch of itty-bitty midgets went berserk with ball-peen hammers (sniffle).

but, back to the other query?

Your 97 has a factory header / exhause manifold.

Mine does not. Are these interchangable?

I'm getting a real kick out of playing with this little truck. (beats the money I was sinking into my 97 T-5 Volvo.... I'll tell you that!)

Okay, back to the question. How can I verify whether this little manifold (from a 97 or so) will bolt in....

Old 07-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
The pic you sent was a cast iron manifold. The 97's a tube header.
The tube header will bolt right up to your engine. Not sure if the exhaust down pipe will be the same for both?
I've heard stories about hail damage!
AL.

Old 07-25-2004, 05:01 AM
fordnutcase
New User
Thanks for the clarification

Seems everyone has the cast iron exhaust (for all years) I guess the 95-96 was different in some fashion, with the 97 being a stand alone year. At least that's what I'm able to gather so far. My exhaust has the same shape as the photo.

I'll give Ford a call Monday and see if that can shed some light on where I can get one of these little exhaust manifolds.

Again, thanks for the clarification!

Old 07-28-2004, 02:29 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-28-2004, 06:00 AM
fordnutcase
New User
all input regarding the exhaust update has been appreciated

Just as expected... I guess the 92-94 model 2.3 motors were a little different than the 95-96 models. The 97 is a stand alone year, and all have a little different head configuration. None of the exhaust manifolds are interchangable. The stroke and bore (are the same), but by the illustrious racerwalsh site, as well as every (darn) Ford dealer within 50 miles of my home, none of the manifolds are a "bolt on" application without issues.
The heads have a different port (per the walsh site).

and thanks to V10 (gheesh.... can't count that high on cylinders!), their product from walsh is not a street legal product without modification!

Guess, Good ole Ford didn't want this little motor to breath any deeper than an over glorified lawnmower! Well, at least I've made the attempt to get it to breath better with the aftermarket turbo muffler and cold air induction upgrade. Seems to be alittle "crisper" in the acceleration all the same and the gas mileage? WOO HOO! checked over the weekend.... combined city/highway was 148 miles on 4.85 gallons of gas (you do the math).

Beats the premium ($2.09 a gallon here) I'm stuffing in my S70 T-5!!!!! Guess if I wanna go fast.... that'll have to remain my ticket!

Thanks guys. all input has been truly appreciated.

Old 07-29-2004, 04:51 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, if ya want to keep the stock manifold you could get it extrude honed. (a abrasive goo is pumped thru the manifold smoothing out the insides)