Flathead 6 specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Psiclone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flathead 6 specs

I'm hoping that someone can spoon feed me some info about my '48 226 or can post some links to where I can find the info I'm looking for. Specifically I'm looking for info on the pistons. How many rings? And what size are they?

Old 07-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Babsman
Junior User
Here's a link to get you started. http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_six-cyl.htm

The shop manual for your truck also has a lot of good information in it.

Scott

Old 07-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Psiclone
Freshman User
Thanks, although I was hoping to find some numbers, i.e. the bore of the cylinders, how many rings on the pistons, etc. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy the shop manual anyway.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:14 PM
shortleged
Freshman User
Location: southwestern Erie county in northwestern corner of Pennsylvania.AKA out in the boonies!
recently acquired a 40 something Ford 2N 6cyl Funk Coversion tractor.The engine ID tag is gone,but it seems to be a 226 ci Ford industrial engine.This engine was used in industrial truck as well as pick-ups and heavier trucks I'm told.Need all engine specs etc.Currently hunting a carb,original or replacement that will work.Any HELP!!! greatly appreciated!

Old 09-20-2004, 10:45 PM
hitmiss1
New User
Hey shortleged, try this site: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_six-cyl.htm It may have some info you need. I have a couple of the funks, a 9N and an 8N. The 9N uses a 7HA engine and the 8N an 8MTH. Hershey and Carlisle swap meets in PA are coming up soon, they would be your best bet to find a carb.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:43 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short
have you looked at the Webber/Mikuni updrafts? That is if Your Funk(y) conversion uses the updraft manifold Used in the COE/Breadtruck.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bore 3.3 stroke 4.4 .4 ring pistons.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:47 PM
shortleged
Freshman User
Location: southwestern Erie county in northwestern corner of Pennsylvania.AKA out in the boonies!
Originally Posted by hitmiss1
Hey shortleged, try this site: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_six-cyl.htm It may have some info you need. I have a couple of the funks, a 9N and an 8N. The 9N uses a 7HA engine and the 8N an 8MTH. Hershey and Carlisle swap meets in PA are coming up soon, they would be your best bet to find a carb.
This particular engine has casting#7HA6015B,on the block,OHA6050,on the head.Distributor is mounted in the side of the block 1/2 way back from front of engine.Near as I can tell,it should be a '48-'52?Has a Carter "BB" downdraft carb,must have been adapted from a Chrysler 6.Have seen severalChizzlers with these carbs,apparently was OEM on them.Jeez,hitmiss1,you have a couple of these?.Really like to chat 'bout that!
This tractor is a real oddball.Wild guess on my part,it was built by either some dirt farmer in the barn,or an Ag Dealer put it togther from parts.It has a 2N rear/trans with a Sherman step-up trans added,"H" model engine,has the cast steel locator arms,4 in channel frame(all 9" extended),the huge Funk radiator(4 core copper),cast aluminum dash.It's missing all of the OEM tin,intake and air cleaner,carb.Missing most of the OEM throttle linkage as well. The hood is apparently Homade,fer sure not OEM,pretty strange looking,hence the name "OL'Funky".It's made of 30 gauge steel,all very properly bent,straight lines,creases just right. rad cover is a real piece of work as well.Somebody put an awful lot of time/effort into building it.Have tried to research it's history,but it dead ends in Hadley,Pa.Last known owner passed couple of years ago.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:56 PM
shortleged
Freshman User
Talking

Originally Posted by hitmiss1
This particular engine has casting#7HA6015B,on the block,OHA6050,on the head.Distributor is mounted in the side of the block 1/2 way back from front of engine.Near as I can tell,it should be a '48-'52?Has a Carter "BB" downdraft carb,must have been adapted from a Chrysler 6.Have seen severalChizzlers with these carbs,apparently was OEM on them.Jeez,hitmiss1,you have a couple of these?.Really like to chat 'bout that!
This tractor is a real oddball.Wild guess on my part,it was built by either some dirt farmer in the barn,or an Ag Dealer put it togther from parts.It has a 2N rear/trans with a Sherman step-up trans added,"H" model engine,has the cast steel locator arms,4 in channel frame(all 9" extended),the huge Funk radiator(4 core copper),cast aluminum dash.It's missing all of the OEM tin,intake and air cleaner,carb.Missing most of the OEM throttle linkage as well. The hood is apparently Homade,fer sure not OEM,pretty strange looking,hence the name "OL'Funky".It's made of 30 gauge steel,all very properly bent,straight lines,creases just right. rad cover is a real piece of work as well.Somebody put an awful lot of time/effort into building it.Have tried to research it's history,but it dead ends in Hadley,Pa.Last known owner passed couple of years ago.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:25 PM
shortleged
Freshman User
Found the correct carb at VanPelt.Uses a holley downdraft,same as p/u,car engine.Intake system was supposed to be adapted from a c/o/e truck of some kind,Any ideas?

Old 09-22-2004, 07:28 PM
shortleged
Freshman User
Interested in a 2N Funk? Would really like to go to Carlisle,where can I find info,anybody?

Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 PM
shortleged
Freshman User
Still looking for an original '48-52 just to look at.Would like to know what the linkage is supposed to look like

Old 09-23-2004, 03:18 PM
hitmiss1
New User
hello shortleged. carlisle is the weekend before hershey, so the stuff selld there first. you can find the dates in either cars & parts or hemmings magazines. according to my copy, hershey will be october 6-9 and carlisle will be september 29-october 03. most vendors migrate to hershey after the carlisle meet is over. the website is www.carsatcarlisle.com
i'll be glad to chat about tractors most anytime. email me at hitmiss1@hotmail.com

Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 PM
ewatness
Junior User
Hitmiss and Shortleg, I have boosted this old thread to the top out of curiosity. I just acquired an 8N Funk 6 with 226 ci.from Minnesota. 7
H 6***B I believe. I am interested in any info re this: anomolies or whathaveyou. Do you still own your tractors? have you tried a 6 to 12 volt conversion? Mine has a slight whiring sound when the clutch is out signaling a bad throwout bearing and it does drip a little oil but the 3 pt works fine. Needs brakes too. Runs very smooth. Any info on these issues would be very helpful.

Disregard if you have sold off your tractors.

Eric

Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
hitmiss1
New User
hello eric. congrats on the funk. i still have mine and am getting ready for a show next weekend. i'm thinking of taking my model 'A' pullford conversion and several hit ans miss engines, though.
maybe the casting number is "7HA" then it could be a 6010 or 6015 on the rest.
i am running 12v on my 6 cyl and v8 both. i had the generators changed over so they still look original and bolt up with the same brackets.
no way to oil the throw out bearing so you'll have to change it out when you break the tractor apart to silence it. i know of no peculiarities with mine. just have to remember i have an 85 or 95 hp engine with a 28hp rear end. LOL
if you need any other info let me know and i will try to help out. i haven't been on here lately, been busy on too many projects. LOL
later, will.

Quick Reply: Flathead 6 specs