1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Awesome tires for an F-150... Wild Country XTX 265/70/17

Old 07-15-2004, 01:34 PM
cj_koser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Awesome tires for an F-150... Wild Country XTX 265/70/17

Wild Country XTX... Had 265/70/17's put on my SuperCrew last week. What a HUGE difference over the OEM Goodyear Wranglers. Those Goodyears were the WORST tires I've ever had on a vehicle... From day one they were terrible in rain, snow, and on dry pavement they literally squeeled around EVERY corner I took even at 5 mph! The only thing I can say that's good for them is that I got 55K miles out of them.

The XTX's have completely transformed the ride of my truck... a true truck tire, with a great looking tread pattern. 17/32" tread depth, 50 psi cold pressure... They're extremely quiet, responsive, great on dry and wet pavement, gravel/dirt roads. With the higher PSI (I've got them at 47 psi) they ride stiffer than the Goodyears did, but to me this is a good thing as I like to feel the road, and the trade off for better handling is WELL worth it. When it snows here in Wisconsin I'll probably drop them to around 39 psi to bite in the snow a bit better, so I'll have to post a follow up review as to how they perform under those conditions.

They come in OWL, but I put them on blackwall side out as I like that look better with my truck. I HIGHLY recommend this tire for an F-150. I paid $560 for four tires mounted and balanced including disposal of my old tires. Not too shabby at all.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:42 PM
lariatrider
Junior User
Not sure if you haul alot in your ride or not, but I only run 30psig front and 34psig rear! Anymore and mine wore the center out bad. But as I've said since my first post here everyone's ride is different so you have to check your ride and adjust as you need! Just curious, but, which Goodyear Wrangler where they? AT/S, RT/S, MT/S or other?
Lariatrider rides on.....

Old 07-15-2004, 04:06 PM
cj_koser
New User
Goodyear RT/S. I haul some and tow my fishing boat often, but it's not a big boat. The stock RT/S Goodyears are only rated at 35 psi max cold pressure, and I always kept them at 30 front 35 rear just as the OEM sticker specifies.... I've heard from a lot of people that they think that tire is junk too. Plus the dealer wanted $160 a piece for those same POS tires to replace them... I almost laughed in his face when he told me I couldn't get a better tire for this truck, and then proceeded to let him know how I felt about his tire of choice. It's a shame when the dealer tries to push inferior product on you because that's what they have for sale. I'm sure many who drive these trucks just roll over and do what the dealer recommends too... it's a traveshamockery!

Old 07-16-2004, 03:41 PM
lariatrider
Junior User
$160 per tire? Man is crazy! Michelin LTX M/S is only $175 per tire and way better. Myself I like the Bridgestone A/T Revo, Really quiet on highway, not to bad off-road, and have held a good load, when I load her down, I increase pressure, as I don't haul very often. Next time you should check out the Goodyear AT/S though, They were stock on my ride and got 60k miles never balanced or rotated! They were quiet untill they got almost wore out, rode good, pulled really well in mud snow etc. ,and hauled very good loads. Just my pennies worth!
lariatrider rides on.....

Old 07-16-2004, 04:07 PM
cj_koser
New User
Thanks for the advice on the Goodyears, but I've now owned two different tires from them that I thought sucked harder than a Hoover... The Wrangler RT/S and the Integrity (I thought Integrity was the exact OPPOSITE of what they should have named that tire). For this reason, I won't be giving Goodyear another dime of my money.
On the other hand, I've heard good things about the Revo from others as well, but they can only handle 44 cold psi and the tread depth is 13/32"... The Wild Country XTX is 50 cold psi and 17/32" at right around the same price. Treadware, traction, and temperature ratings for the Revo and XTX are identical.

I guess my only other consideration for chosing a tire is unsprung weight in the interests of better accleration and handling, but tire weight data is hard to come by for truck tires... I would venture to say that the XTX is heavier than the Revo due to the greater tread depth and heavier construction to accomdate the 50 psi max press., but rubber compound types and a couple other factors come into play there as well, so who knows?

IF the XTX wears well and continues to perform like they have over the past couple weeks, I can already say I'd definately buy them again. Of course that's a big "IF," as the only real indicator of tread-life is miles on the rubber!

What'd you pay for the Revo's mounted and balanced if you don't mind my asking?

Old 07-19-2004, 09:37 AM
lariatrider
Junior User
For the revo's mounted and balanced, stems, taxes, total came to around $700. Kinda pricey but I got a 50K mile warranty with them, correct me if i'm wrong but no warranty on Multi-mile tires right? So far I have been pleased with these tires they ride very well, quiet on road, and handle well, not to sure about how they do in the sand here yet, like to drive out on the beach and go surf fishing! Still liked the Goodyear AT/S better though, as they pulled much better in mud, snow, & sand. But its a trade-off any way you look @ it. Let me know how they perform in say a few thousand miles or so...

Old 07-19-2004, 12:32 PM
cj_koser
New User
The tire place I went to warranty's all tires they sell... I think it's a 50k mile warranty, but I have to take my truck in there every 6k miles to have the rubbers rotated... no big deal since they do that for free.

Those Revos ARE pricey!!! I would look at the Goodyear AT/S again when I need new tires given your good review of them, but right now Goodyear isn't in my best graces.

As for the XTX's, I'll make sure to post a follow up when I've got a few K on them, and again in the snow this winter!

Old 07-19-2004, 12:38 PM
mizzleman
Mountain Pass
I agree with LariatRider. I have the stock AT/S's on my truck and I'll probably get another set, but in 285/70/R17. I'd recommend them.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:12 PM
lariatrider
Junior User
Don't mean to ruin your day like they did mine when I asked, but, as far as I know, they don't make the AT/S in a 285/70/17 only a 275/70/17! Please tell me they have started making it though! Please! The 275 is a little taller but not nearly as tall as the 285 but BFG is the only company making them I think.Yeah really sorry the RT/s sucked but I have thought that all along too! I may down size to a 16" rim so I can get the 285/75/16 AT/S next time. Found a really nice set of Pacer 413MM Polished wheels and priced nice too!!!
keep us posted on the performance, May have to give those Multi-miles a shot! Been thinking about a set of the Wild Country RVT'S by multi-mile, real mud slingers! Yea haw! Ok getting carried away so I'll stop!
Lariatrider rides on......
Untill he gets a flat.....

Old 07-19-2004, 07:20 PM
mizzleman
Mountain Pass
Bogus. I thought I had remembered seeing them on Goodyear's website. Oh well, I may switch to the BFG's cuz I was looking for fatter tire. Thanks for info.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:42 PM
CPerry
Senior User
Lariatrider, I recently put on 285/75/16 Revo's on my truck and I love them. They are quiet on the freeway and work great off-road. A little on the expensive side, but I think they are worth the price.

ps. After I bought them at my local Firestone dealer, I noticed that they sell them at Costco.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:03 PM
lariatrider
Junior User
CPerry where do you live and what kind of mud/goo do you have there? Here it's nastey stuff! Either rich black soil, super slick clay, or at the beach my favorite, very coarse sand. The Soil around here just fills the tread up and doesn't clean out at all untill you spin em real hard. On the sand the one time I have been in it so far this summer I sank right down no flotation at all, And I was just gonna turn around! Other than that I really like them, pricey, but you get what you pay for sometimes! Just my thoughts but sometimes you DO luck up.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:50 PM
CPerry
Senior User
I live in Hawaii and we have lots of sand here :-). It is fine sand and the tires (11.5" wide) ride on top of it. The mud is thick but no clay. The tires seem to work well in most off road situations and I have not gotten stuck yet.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:15 PM
lariatrider
Junior User
The sand here never packs down, even after a hard rain it dries so fast and is right back to powder in a matter of 1-2 hrs. Even faster if lots of people are riding through it. The sand is constantly stirred up and stays loose. Real tough stuff, even seen diesels overheat trying to get though it, as it really bogs down on the engine. Most of the guys and girls lock into low range and idle along, I stay in high range because it keeps from digging so bad. Oh well guess i'll just have to air-down like everyone else!
lariatrider rides on.....

Old 07-29-2004, 08:30 PM
lariatrider
Junior User
Well i finally took the jump and man I'm loving it! I priced a set of 285/70/17 BFG TA/KO and was to say the least breathless! So I started thinking.......
Started checking on 16" rims and tires. Found a SUPER sweet set of wheels the Pacer 413MM wheels, then onto tires. Found a set of 305/70/16 Goodyear AT/S on sell. Bought the tires and wheels for about $40 more than just the 17" tires!!!!! Just a thought but if you have 17" rims and want to go to larger tires might be worth your time to do your research on some 16" rims! Also found out the 305/70/16's are cheaper then 285/75/16's.....bigger tire less money? I'll try to post before and after pics as soon as I can! Truck looked sweet before as I had a set of Ultra 66U's on there with 265/70/17 Bridgestone A/T Revos. Well maybe this'll help someone with tire size options!
On his sweet new shoes.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Awesome tires for an F-150... Wild Country XTX 265/70/17