Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

some stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:08 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some stuff

i have a stock straight axle out of a 55 f100 and the drums and backing plates for anyone who wants them for free. the axle is still usable, but, the corn fields it seems are littered with them. if you need one to have dropped you could send them this one. dont really want to give it to someone just looking for scrap metal, i could do that my self if i wanted to junk it. the drums and backing plates will work for a 53- early 60's.
i have a radiator and a spare drivers side fender(i think) for the same truck but i want to get a few bucks for those. i will go through and see what else i have to get rid of.
i have a set of 68 289 heads that are fresh, i would like to get 40$b/o for b/c they are too nice yet. have a set of 69cc heads that are fresher also, cheaper &or negotiable on those, 2 of the cylinders are peppered. but i still believe them to be ok. they need a leak down test yet. i had some of this stuff in the classifieds but i figured it best just to keep it local b/c its too much to ship.
also i have a fresh 71 350 olds rocket 4 sale with tons n tons of extras.
i think someone is coming to get the ford 9 inch i have out of a 79 f150, but if they dont, i got one thats going for 50$ hub to hub.
i got a 40 series flowmaster knockoff thats brand new and 3 inch inlet dual 3 inch outlet if anyone wants it. probaly worth 20-30$ on ebay, i would rather pass it on to a fellow ford trucker. it made the 302 on my f150 sound good.

just tryin to clean house,
thanx

Last edited by innecity4wheelin; 07-05-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:21 AM
kc0rey
Senior User
I might be interested in the 289 heads. What part of MN are you in? International Falls here

Old 07-12-2004, 02:28 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
i am in the twin cities in st paul.. i could ship em though, probaly wouldnt be too much if its in state. if i get motivated enough, i might take the dremel to the small humps in the exhaust ports so they are good to go. they do have the bolt holes drilled/setup for the 351w, you would have to use the bushings for the 7/16 bolts on a 302/289. .. but i had em running, and they were sandblasted and fresh looking when i got them. now they are blue and could use a wash from sitting on the shelf in the shed. the part number i think is c8ae or c8oe on them.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:33 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
i still have that ford 9 inch also, $50 or so would be nice. i want to make room in the garage so i can start insulating and drywall. i will put it on ebay again...lol,
i got a really nice 73-79 f150 radiator also for $25, and a piece of glass for a 79 that i think is drivers side for free. not looking to get rich just help fund a streetrod project...lol, and i dont want to start chucking. in high school i think 2 of my 9 inchers ended up in scrap heaps b/c they were bent from bumping curbs....ahh to be young n dumb, all the stuff i wish i hadnt chucked.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:07 PM
billsco
Elder User
Hi kcOrey,

My wife and I are going to spend some time on Lake Kabetogama this week. I could pick up those heads from innecity4wheelin and bring them up as far as Ray, MN, no charge. Let me know.

regards

Old 07-25-2004, 08:12 PM
billsco
Elder User
How's number 1 son innecity? How's Bessie?

Old 07-25-2004, 08:26 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
kids doin great, not much a fusser yet, gave him his first bottle today.
ol bes is on 4 wheels, drop axle in, i am cleaning up the motor now, put in a mild cam, new pump and chain, the original chain with the nylon gear had a big chunk gone. its nice to see the original chain though. i should have it bolted back together in no time so i can do the exhaust n brake lines. then all i have to do is hot wire it n bolt the fenders n hood back on. i need to track down or get a set of cheapo valve covers for the cleveland. the old ones are funky, and you can tell the old owner liked penzoil, they were caked in parafin wax. i probaly have 3 sets of 289-351w covers n such in chrome or stock, but no clevelands.,,,lol
billsco, thought ya disappeared, figured you finally got to the wifees nerves,

Old 07-25-2004, 10:43 PM
the real Broncoholic
Senior User
is that radiator out of a 4x4?

Old 07-26-2004, 05:21 AM
billsco
Elder User
Well I got on her nerves, that's for sure, but I'm still around.

I remember hearing guys talk about Pennzoil, how waxy it made everything. I wasn't sure whether it was true or not but it looks like it is. Can you scrape that crud off? I have shied away from it to tell the truth, I use Valvoline exclusively. Saturday I pulled into the driveway and my 96 F-150 hit 100,000 miles. Back in the good old days that was about all you could get out of a motor, but now it's just hitting its stride. Runs strong and doesn't burn any oil.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:20 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
it was a 2 core out of a 2wd, but the 4x4 had the same radiator, most times. i had a 79 2wd supercab with the 400 and a/c once that had a 4 core. depends on how hot you are running or if you are using hard a lot. this one is like new. i have 2 new ones and only need one.

i scraped the crud for the most part. it looked like a perfect mold of the rockers in the valve covers when i took it off. the intake valley and oil pan and timing area were fine though. since it was just wax and no grits, i used some acid water mix, and a good wire brush to clean the top of the heads, i used some good high pressure to rinse it down to the floor. any loose parafin that got into a oil galley should just be spit out n sucked into the filter, but i got all of it. the valve covers are really rusty though too. the top of the heads looked like a brand new motor, so shiny i almost thought they were aluminum.
heck, that guy i knew that had a lot of early 60's fords back in his day told me once they were lucky to get over 60,000 on a motor. especially the old flatheads where the soft babbitt bearings were molded right into the caps.
out of that came a lot of old mechanic's tales, guys dumping a quart of the dirty stuff back in or all sorts of crazy stuff. me, i just run one quart of sae 30 or 40 and 10w30 regularly, but once its hot it all flows like water in my opinion. i have been into that castrol oil lately, but its all recycled from the same stuff i think. once my mom had a shop do the change in her 72 olds, they put 5w oil in a 150000+ motor, i never heard a motor tick so bad.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:37 AM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
if anyone has a set of old 2v 351c stock or after market exhaust manifolds or headers i might be interested.
i am searching pretty heavily right now for a set of old dusty aluminum valve covers right now for a 351c/m, 400 boss302, old dingy cracked, dont matter. i can tig weld and clean em up. i liked the vintage finned type that looked cast, looking for something to sit on bessie to make her look real old school. i am willing to barter.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:48 AM
billsco
Elder User
I heard once that it wasn't good to be changing oil brands all the time and for some reason I took it to heart. I stick with Valvoline, and the only reason I chose that brand was because it is in so many stores. My wife comes home with a quart of oil she found on sale and wants me to change the oil in the push lawn mower and I get all paranoid about it. Stupid, huh? Like it's gonna hurt it.

But I think oil formulas today are considerably better than just 30-40 years ago and are part of the reason for the higher mileages we get out of our vehicles, along with improved metalurgy like you talked about.

Well, I guess kcOrey has left the building so we won't make a connection. Anyhow, I'm off for a week's vacation to the great northwoods. See you next week.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
watch out for the giant skeeters. lol

Old 08-01-2004, 12:39 AM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
got my exhaust all done except the tips, so i am good on that, i have a set of old turbine 4 lug rims off a mustang gt that it dont matter if i get rid of either way but would like 2 bills, or whatever the going rate is, i am a honest fair man, so i like to think, i robbed the tires already. they fit a mustang, couger, thunderbird. they are mint with caps.
9 inch axle is gone i think,
billsco, made it to millacs this weekend for the first in a very long time, the car didnt want to go to duluth. still fun to increase my chances at winning the west nile virus or kicked by a wild bull or wild horse on my fathers farm...dont hear about too many buckings in the city on the news....lol.
you shoulda came out to porkys so all us younger old guys could make you feel old, give you grief, and then get you in trouble for keeping you past curfew.....lol who need enemies when you got friends like us...lol. hope the trip was long lived and safe...haha.....later

Old 08-07-2004, 06:40 AM
billsco
Elder User
Yeah, I had a good vacation with great weather on the big lakes up there. We cruised and floated until we both had enough and then we came home and grabbed the four wheelers and ran the Soo Line trail fron Genola, MN to Moose Lake and back. How much fun can a guy pack in one week? That's all I would need now is to go out to Porky's. The fun police would lock me up for exceeding the limit. My wifey would put out an APB. HAHA. See any nice babes cruising past there where you meet? Not that an old guy like me notices...just wondering about you younger old guys. hehe

I think I'm going to run 10W-30 in Doug. The manual calls for straight weights, but that's because they didn't have multi-viscosities back then, if I remember correctly. I've never understood the reasoning behind multi-viscosities, to tell the truth. Ever open a bottle of the stuff that's been stored outside in the winter? It pours like sludge with molasses mixed in for good measure.