6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Maybe we should disconnect the EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM
FredsF250TD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe we should disconnect the EGR?

I just bought my wife a new VW Passat 1.9 TDI last Saturday. While trying to track down the 5w40, VW 505.01 spec synthetic oil VW says HAS to be used in this motor, I ran across a website that has a EGR bypass kit for the TDI. They had pictures of the amount of soot that builds up in the intake and the EGR. I mean these things were AT LEAST 3/4 clogged compared to the pics of a clean intake. They did not say how many miles it took to do this, but frankly I don't care. It was a mess, and they said it was all due to the EGR. I know, we are talking two different engines here, but they are both diesels with EGR systems. When we pull the plug on our EGR, does that totally keep exhaust from entering the intake?

Old 06-24-2004, 05:08 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FredsF250TD
I just bought my wife a new VW Passat 1.9 TDI last Saturday. While trying to track down the 5w40, VW 505.01 spec synthetic oil VW says HAS to be used in this motor, I ran across a website that has a EGR bypass kit for the TDI. They had pictures of the amount of soot that builds up in the intake and the EGR. I mean these things were AT LEAST 3/4 clogged compared to the pics of a clean intake. They did not say how many miles it took to do this, but frankly I don't care. It was a mess, and they said it was all due to the EGR. I know, we are talking two different engines here, but they are both diesels with EGR systems. When we pull the plug on our EGR, does that totally keep exhaust from entering the intake?
unless its spinnin backwards

Old 06-24-2004, 08:07 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By unplugging it with the ignition switch in the off position, the valve is totally closed. No exhaust can reenter the intake unless it is plugged back in.

That is good information you have brought, and has confirmed many of our suspicions about the system. Thank you.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:07 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
By unplugging it with the ignition switch in the off position, the valve is totally closed. No exhaust can reenter the intake unless it is plugged back in.

That is good information you have brought, and has confirmed many of our suspicions about the system. Thank you.
You ready?

Old 06-24-2004, 09:23 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just did mine tonight
(at least I unplugged a small oval plug in the top of a silver looking canister in front of the Oil filter --- hope that was it :-)
and went for a pretty hard run around the southern sector of the metroplex trying to see if it would throw a code ---- No codes and no difference in performance that I can tell.... (And even had a mustang playing with me until we happened to be at a red light out in the boonies and I did a brake stand to spin the tires clean....
His chin actually dropped when he saw that

but, anywho... I like the idea of no egr going into my intake....

Old 06-24-2004, 10:04 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
You ready?
I will be. Give me until lunchtime tomorrow. Im gonna try to make it good

Old 06-24-2004, 10:54 PM
FredsF250TD
Senior User
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Well, that was my understanding. The reason I was asking is because on another site, a guy posted that he had just removed his throttle plate, and installed his dummy egr. I don't believe the 04's have a throttle plate, so I'm assuming his was an 03. Is that egr system different than the 04's in that it is mechanical, operated by the throttle plate? Is that why he would have installed a dummy egr?

Old 06-24-2004, 10:58 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Well, that was my understanding. The reason I was asking is because on another site, a guy posted that he had just removed his throttle plate, and installed his dummy egr. I don't believe the 04's have a throttle plate, so I'm assuming his was an 03. Is that egr system different than the 04's in that it is mechanical, operated by the throttle plate? Is that why he would have installed a dummy egr?
The 04's do have a throttle plate back in them, and as i understand it, it is active in the PCM strategy. During EGR activation, the plate partially closes, creating backpressure to aid the EGR's circulation into the intake. Most 2003 motors do not have it, and the earlier 2003's that had the plate did not utilize them in the PCM strategy. As for dummy EGR I havent heard of it...

Old 06-24-2004, 11:17 PM
hitecdan
Elder User
A dummy EGR valve is a trip to the Ford parts counter and forking over $200+ for an EGR valve. Unplug the connector from your installed EGR valve and plug it into your new dummy EGR valve. This fools the PCM into think the EGR system is still working properly and won't throw a code.

Of course on the other web site a lot of folks are claiming that the engine malfunction light never came on after they unplugged their EGR valve.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:18 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by hitecdan
A dummy EGR valve is a trip to the Ford parts counter and forking over $200+ for an EGR valve. Unplug the connector from your installed EGR valve and plug it into your new dummy EGR valve. This fools the PCM into think the EGR system is still working properly and won't throw a code.

Of course on the other web site a lot of folks are claiming that the engine malfunction light never came on after they unplugged their EGR valve.
Mine didnt. It threw two codes, but no check engine light.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:45 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
For the latest and greatest on EGR's

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...31#post1721931

Old 08-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Hoss350
Freshman User
okay guys, I searched, and I'm trying to find out how to get rid of the check engine light without a programmer and plugging back in my egr, I'm sure the answer is here somewhere, but can someone just help me out real quick. ha ha There is a ton or threads on this, it would take me forever to read through them all.

thanks

Old 08-21-2004, 08:45 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Thumbs down

Hoss350...
it seems your smart politico's out there made the CARB thingys so bad that the California engines can't seem to get by without the check engine light if you pull the egr wire...

You could always pull the check engine bulb

on my non-cali 03 X did not get a check engine light and got three EGR related codes at first... but after a while they cleared all by their lonesome ????? Not sure how, but they are not there any longer !

Old 08-21-2004, 08:59 AM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
I'm admitting ignorance here....

No exhaust can reenter the intake unless it is plugged back in.
OK, dummy question. Does this mean zero exhaust is going back into the turbo to help cool it down? Or am I having an early morning brain fart?

Old 08-21-2004, 09:06 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by huntercgr
OK, dummy question. Does this mean zero exhaust is going back into the turbo to help cool it down? Or am I having an early morning brain fart?

EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW It's stinky in here
thanks - so much for my scrambled eggs now !

Are you asking is the Turbo being cooled down by the exhaust or is the exhaust being cooled down by the turbo ??

(Your condition must be contagious )

Either way, not sure that you WANT either condition...
the ONLY purpose of EGR is to further burn the unburnt fuel to improve emissions....
and they even have an egr cooler to cool down the exhaust BEFORE it is recycled so it won't melt too many things

The really bad by-product of this recycling of the exhaust is that you are putting SOOT back into the intake !!!! That's the main reason for the CI-4 rated oil we need... IMHO... YRMV... KMP ....

Quick Reply: Maybe we should disconnect the EGR?