Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: wpnaes

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 08:11 AM
drew97me
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!

Ok, guys. I have serious problems. I have a 93 xlt bronco. It is not running right at all. I am not mechanically inclined, so I really don't know what is the problem. I can't really drive it for long until it makes all kinds of noises. I am not sure if it is the tranny or the rear end or the ujoints. I purchased it back in sept of last year. I drove it through the winter and through some mud and stuff, but now it is broke. I have looked in every forum to try to diagnose it, but everytime I see something that might be the problem, there is something else that pops up and looks like the problem. I am in the navy and don't really have alot of money to fix everything, but would really like to get my bronco on the road again. I don't really won't to take it to a shop until I absolutely have to. I would really like to do the work myself so that I can learn how to fix things.I live on the border of Illinois and Wisconsin If there is anyone around or near KENOSHA, maybe someone who knows what the heck is going on could take a look and teach me some things. I would be more than willing to throw in some beer or something. I am desperate to get my truck on the road and go topless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:12 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wish i could help a shipmate in need, but i dont live in illinois right now....if you dont get any answers soon, post back with some more descriptive comments about your problems and i will attempt to trouble shoot it over the internet....btw, what rate?

AT3(AW) here, originally from central illinois.

jamie

Old 06-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Jigsaw
Tuned
Can you tell if the noise is from the engine - does it whenever the engine is running or do you have to be rolling to get the noise? Does it increase with the engine speed or as you drive faster down the road?

Old 06-23-2004, 11:57 PM
drew97me
Freshman User
Well, let's see. Where do I begin? Ok, the first noise is when I start it up. It comes from underneath. I think it comes from the transfer case. Almost sounds like a rattling or maybe even like the noise you get when you shake a can of spraypaint. I am not sure. I have a haynes, but It's almost as if you need to be a complete mechanic with the schematics that it has. The second noise is when I put it into reverse. CLUNK! and then it kicks in reverse. I have driven it like that, and it has severe vibration until it warms up. Once it warms up, it starts to really bog down. I also think that I need to replace the fuel filter or pump. That is the least of my worries right now. It really makes a loud clunking noise when I try to drive it. I looked at the u-joints and I think I need to replace them. I am not sure if I have to change out the rear-end or what. I hope that it is not the tranny. I don't think itis, but I really don't know. It actually subsides the faster you go. I don't know. It also dies when I am at a stoplight after it is warmed up. Well, there you go! That is about all that I can describe.

Hey, Kermit? I am an OS2(SW/AW) I was stationed in San Diego on the USS John C Stennis for 5 years, now I am a Legal Investigator for Great Lakes. Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:37 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
yeah, sounds like a bad u joint, or maybe 2....i would try them first, since they are cheap and easy to replace, and see if the noise goes away, then work on other problems from there.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:53 AM
drew97me
Freshman User
ok, just replaced the u joints. Man, they were trashed. However, i still have problems after I drive for a short time and bronco warms up. I can't go in reverse. Is it the rear diff? I hope it is not the tranny. It drives fine in drive, just not reverse. I feel that I may be taking the diff off soon and seeing my gears all jacked up. I don't know. If there is anything else to check, maybe someone can help me out. THanks!

Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 AM
kermit
Laughing Gas
do you mean that you cant get it to shift into reverse, or once it is there i wont move? does it feel like it is binding up on you, or just no power? sounds like your problems are in the tranny, but you never know. take the diff covers off and check the gears and see if they are burred up or broken, then refill with 90 weight gear oil or whatever you use on yours. that is easier than yanking the tranny right now, but if they work well in drive, i cant see how they would bind in reverse unless there was a broken something or other in the diff.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:54 PM
drew97me
Freshman User
Well, when I put it into reverse, it won't move. I will keep my foot planted on the gas and it doesn't budge. It feels like it wants to, but eventually it just bogs down and dies. It doesn't do this in drive. I hope it is not the tranny. I don't have that kind of cash right now. I will be taking the diff covers off and checking that out within a day or two. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:38 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
yep, but hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i think it is your trans.....but you just might need to adjust the bands in it. that is as far as my knowledge goes though, not real good with trannies

Old 08-01-2004, 10:55 PM
NascarNut
Senior User
I'm with kermit on this one, if it drives forward fine then the gears probably aren't the problem. If you have the E4OD transmission then your looking at big bucks to have it rebuilt, if worse comes to worse.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:41 PM
drew97me
Freshman User
Great. that sucks. Thanks for all your help though, guys. Unfortunately, I do have the E40D. Figures! Oh well, how much do you think a rebuild will be?

Old 08-02-2004, 12:49 AM
kermit
Laughing Gas
if you were closer to central illinois i would say about 600, but i know a tranny guy that can do wonders with them and he is a friend of my dads. not sure closer to you, but call around and get some estimates is about all i can say.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:54 AM
drew97me
Freshman User
whereever I have to go to get the cheapest, as long as it is within driving time, I will go. Where at in central illinois?

Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
canton, place is called pauls transmission on lynn street. i have never had him do an e4od though, so if you want me too i will look up his number and you can give him a call and try to get an estimate over the phone.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:00 PM
NascarNut
Senior User
I know money is tight but you should look into upgrading the tranny. Ford made a total of 14 upgrades, and when built right is a reliable and strong tranny.

Quick Reply: Help!