1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

94 Ford Econoline Door Latch Cables

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Flashman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 94 Ford Econoline Door Latch Cables

Hello Folks,

I own a 1994 E 250 Cargo van. I am having alot of problems with the door latch cables in my side and rear doors. The plastic breaks on the cables. This is a very bad design. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix these cables. Ford wants alot of $$$ for the cable kits. Thanks.

Joe

Old 06-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Leo_T
Senior User
Hi Joe,

I posted about the cables some time ago. Since my side cargo door broke, I made a half azzed attempt at fixing the cable, but I gave up on it, only because I don't use it much. When I do I just open the passenger door...reach in and open it from inside. Any other door goes bad I'll have to fix it.

I know what you mean about Ford prices. I have an E-150, and went over to the nearest Ford dealer to get a set of platinum plugs, and Motorcraft ignition wires for 5.8L. What a miserable job that was. Cost over $120 parts, and my labor. Now I'm aching from head to toe. I miss my 4.9 6 cyl. Took maybe twenty minutes to change plugs and wires. I've been working on the V8 for hours, still not quite done.

I'll be watching this thread. Hope some helpful info will show up about the door cables.

Good luck
Leo

Old 06-22-2004, 10:45 AM
bluedund
New User
Flashman...I am having the same problems...same year and model too! Gee, cheap Ford plastic has been falling apart for a while. I can get the bottom of the cable off, can't see how to get the top ball detached (where it actually goes into the latch). If I could get it apart, I bet I could poor-boy a way to keep the cable guard from sliding when the cable is pulled.

Anyone know how to get the top "ball" out of the latch without ripping everything apart?

Old 06-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Leo_T
Senior User
Door latch

A guy answered my post about 6 months ago. He said he had good luck with it by drilling the rivets that hold the outside handle on. Your results may differ though. I think they've been using that setup from '94 on. They've been makeing door handles at Ford for about a hundred years. When will they get it right?
Anyway good luck, maybe someone who has an answer will post.

Might be worth posting at the pick-up forums. They use the same door handles.
Much more action too.

Old 06-25-2004, 05:15 PM
MontgomeryGeorgeWJr
New User
Sorry Im so late but just ran into the same problem with my 92 side door (both the front and rear side doors).

I got the front door latch fixed. What I did was visit a bicycle shop and get a bunch of barrel bolts & nuts used to adjust the brakes on bikes. Installed a couple of washers to fit, then split them lengthwise to recieve the cable and installed one at each end. Also had some real stiff heat shrink that I used to secure teh bolt to teh cable. It was an absolute PITA, but the front door works well now with a $8.00 investment in parts and some time. Planning on doing the same to the rear side door tomorrow. It should go faster as theirs less junk to deal with and I know what I need to do now.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Flashman
Junior User
Smile

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response. The bicycle cables sound like a good idea. You can get to the cables in the latches if you remove the latch. Three star bolts (# 27 bit) and you can remove them. I kinda fixed it for now, but since I use the Van as a Detailing supply vehicle for work, I think I will get all new cables and latches from Ford.

Dont want to look like a dummy when I am trying to open the door and it wont with a customer standing by.

I did some shopping around and got alot cheaper pricing from some ford part dealers on the internet. Saving about 80 bucks. I never had this problem with my 89 E250. That was a well made FORD. Simple and durable.Thanks.

Joe

Old 07-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Leo_T
Senior User
doors

Hi Joe,

I know what you mean. I had an '85 before the '96. No door problems in 13 years.

Leo

Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Yondering
New User
Here is my cheap and easy fix to bad latch cable ends

This is a cheap and easy fix... once you get the cables out of the door that is

Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 PM
sunnyboy1212
New User
Thumbs up just did my 97 e150 side door door latch

part # 8C2Z-15264A00-B. This is the cable and latch assembly for side door. hinged. big door. After trying to fix without going to the dealer for the part, I went to the dealer and for about $85 I bought the part and installed in about 1/2 hour tops. I figured after 16 years I could afford this. Less than $100. Good for another 16 years. About the price of 1 tire. I had previously tried fixing the rear door with some luck but that repair only lasted for awhile and I went to the dealer and for about the same price bought the latch/cable for rear door and fixed it even quicker.
Don't blame anyone for saving a few bucks but I didn't have the best of luck trying to fix them homemade style. I have had to do other repairs that cost a lot more. I just bite the bullet and went on. I didn't pay the dealer to install the door latch I did that part easily. This is what worked for me.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:11 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
There are several fixes for this particular E-Series quirk but much like SunnyBoy1212 after 10 years or more age if/when a part fails its lived its life, time to get new stuff.

One of the least expensive is to strip the needed parts out of a donor vehicle at the local U-Pull-It yards, typically no more than $30 for the complete assembly consisting of top and bottom latches, interconnecting cables, the door handle itself and if you're motivated the strikes or catches too. Biggest advantage here is you can test the entire latch for soundness---simply pulling on the closed/latched door tells you immediately if there is excessive wear or not.

Next is these guys: Store :: Mako Hose & Rubber Co. These are some awesome cables but even so they cost more than new parts from Ford. Keep in mind the OP's van was 10 years old at the time he posted way back in 2004!

I know and understand the desire to cut the dealer out of our parts acquisitions but if your time equals money or you'd like to avoid frustrating hours spent for little or no real long lasting solution DIY cable fixing is the way to go.

FWIW I'm in the auto/truck glass business so repairs like this sometimes are left to my industry. The last time I recall doing this repair was on my own '97 E250 with over 250K miles and beat to death by the PO. Had simply maintenance been performed on the latching components like checking for fasteners being tightened properly it all might have lasted much much longer. Point being if your van is a keeper don't waste your time chasing a fix that's easily solved for less than a one time cost of $100.

Spot on suggestion SunnyBoy, very sound solution!