New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Major computer problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:01 PM
cowlady
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Major computer problems

Okay - I'm on my OLD laptop w/a 75 mHz processor! HELP! The power button on my desktop fell inside the tower & I can't turn the darn thing on. Leaving it on was never an option.
I HOPE to get it fixed this weekend but until then I will have limited access because I do not have the patience to wait around for this thing to fire up or load a page.
I'll check email so don't hesitate to email me if you need me! Thanks!

Old 06-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
the button on the outside of the case only ushes a little button behind it in most pc's. you should still be able to turn on the pc. take a look at the hole where the button was and see if there is a small black button slightly deeper inside.

it should be an easy fix.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
yeah, like he said..and if that's the case..use something to push it to turn it on..mine did the same thing a while back..now i keep a small screwdriver handy.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:55 PM
cowlady
Elder User
That's the problem - the INNER button thingy fell inside too. There's just an empty spot there now with nothing to push to turn it on. This laptop is SO slow it takes me 12-14 minutes from initial bootup till I get logged on! Then add 3-5 minutes to get my email to open. Plus, the keys stick so I have to edit everything & delete all the double letters.
I'm taking the computer to a shop this weekend & I hope he can fix it. I'll keep you posted ok?

Old 06-11-2004, 10:47 PM
cowlady
Elder User
Okay - this is worse than I thought. The button HAD 2 wires attached to the back but 1 broke off. There's 6 little prong thingys & I don't know which 1 it goes to. I managed to use a paper clip to fish it out - I was gonna tape it to the outside of the tower as a temp fix but now that's pointless. BTW - I'm using my Dad's computer as I'm in Rochester to help my Mom out. I may have to bring this 1 home with me but my niece uses it too for homework so I dunno if I can. That laptop is SO slow! I barely get logged in & I get booted so I ONLY check email & join requests with it. That's why I haven't answered any posts.
Any ideas on what to do with the computer? It's a Compaq Presaario. My sister gave me her old tower but her hard drive is shot. I guess I can put my drive in hers BUT I can't get the tower case off mine!!!!! Arrrggghhh!

Old 06-12-2004, 03:08 AM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
look closely and you'll find it..just tap it into the other wire and the computer will stay on all the time. It's just an off and on switch.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:31 PM
John Pen
Tuned
If your computers new enough to want to save, A new case is reletively inexpensive. Those shows they have at the fairgrounds once a month sell them for around or under 20 bucks..and then you could bribe someone from here, who lives in Lewiston, to come and swap the stuff into a new case....He may even have a case around to donate to the cause...

Will work for beer......

Old 06-13-2004, 09:22 PM
cowlady
Elder User
LOL! NOW you tell me! Actually, I'm back on the desktop - sorta, kinda. I have the "button" hanging/taped to the outside. The button broke off - it's just 2 wires. However, when I touch them together it starts up! To shut it after shutting down, I turn off the power strip. I'm going to solder a new momentary switch on so at least I can just push that - I don't like touching the 2 wires together to start it. I feel like I'm hot wiring a vehicle! ROFL!
I also took the opportunity to install a CD/RW drive my sister donated to me. I had to take it from her old tower which needs a new hard drive. I'm going to install 1 for her so she can have the computer back & my niece can use it then. So all in all it turned into a win/win situation - so far!
Thanks for the offer to help JohnPen & to everyone for your advice & patience!